An AT&T "generic data" plan user, I used an 8310 most of 2009 before getting a 9000-Bold later that year. I used the 9000 Bold until about 3 months ago, during which time I've been an Android user on a Samsung Captivate.

For now, I'm going to return to Blackberry-land, as my Captivate, for all its power and "bling," is all-touch and I found that aggravating at times, and its GPS, as has been documented, is all but useless. When it works, it's great, as it gives navigation vs just a "birds-eye" view, but it is horrible at locating your current location. (Other Android devices are better I'm sure.)

I may well return to Android again with a slider, or some other AT&T (like the HTC Aria or Eris, whatever?) or the Virgin Mobile Motorola Triumph when it arrives (a 4.1" device much like the Captivate)--meanwhile though I found an 8310-Curve on the cheap (I still had my Bold for awhile but have since sold it) and am going to "hobble around" on that way for awhile while I decide what to do.

As I used the Curve for nearly all of 2009 and then the Bold ever since then until about 3 months ago, I'm very familiar with how it works, however, I do have a few questions:

(1) I started using GMail contacts & have all my contacts in there. I did backup the contacts from the Blackberry Bold with the Desktop Manager, but I'd rather import my GMail contacts in. I understand Google Sync will do this?

(2) I used an app called AK Notepad from Catch.Com for Memopad entries. It backs those entries up into the cloud as well as them being on the phone itself. Is there anyway to import those in to this?

(3) I have a "generic" data plan and thus the newer Facebook applications, which require a BIS, didn't work. As a work-around I used Snaptu on my Bold 9000, as it handles many common Facebook functions (news-feeds especially). I assume Snaptu will work on the 8310 as well?

(4) I realize the 8310 has OS 4.5 which doesn't properly "thread" SMS's as my Bold's OS 5 did. Is there a low-priced application that will take that over?

(I still have spare "mini USB" charges etc so I will pick all of that up without a problem.)

LRH
    06-12-11 08:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD