Eyes are blurry reading post after post...
    The device has 802.11 (wireless) right.. so shouldn't you be able to use, say your home wireless network to browse the internet on your BB without having to pay for a data service?
    If yes..then how would I go about setting that up?
    I have setup my wireless connection to my home network, and I see it active in the home screen.

TIA
    Ruious

T-Mobile
    Brand Spanking new 8320

BTW.. forgive if I leech, I will try and add value where I can. (once I learn more about this cool little device)
    02-08-08 12:18 AM
    go to Options > Advanced Options > Browser > set your default browser to Wi-Fi browser; then try it if works, if it doesn't you may have to pull the battery with the device still on and drop it back in after 20-30s
    02-08-08 12:28 AM
    Bingo.. that worked. Thanks much. Funny how I can design complex networks and secure fortune 500 companies networks.. but give me a new toy and it's like looking at a VCR with blinking lights.

Ruious
    02-08-08 12:39 AM
    You can verify which data network you are using (EDGE or WiFi) by going to Manage Connections > Services Status, then look at BlackBerry Internet Service to see what connection it is using.
    02-08-08 12:45 AM
    Thanks ricpac, sunkast

sunkast, I see you have TMO. Are you using a data plan? or BIS?
    If I understand correctly you need one or the other to access internet and services.
    I'm easy.. I need to access my Gmail and calendar (i see there is a sync app from google that works with BB native calendar)

What would you suggest is the best course of action to accomplish this?
    02-08-08 01:05 AM
    A data plan is either BIS or BES. BES is for business users whose company operates a BES server. BIS is for personal users. See BIS & BES - The Differences Explained. I have the $20 unlimited plan. I can't imagine having it any other way but unlimited internet and email. I don't use my calendar very much, so I just access google calendar from opera mini if I need to check or add event. Be aware that you can only view or add events via mobile. So using the BB calendar with Google Sync will be better if you need more features. I tried the Google Sync app for a while and it works great. Gmail is also a snap with BIS or the app Google has. The different between setting it up on BIS is that the email is pushed instantly to your phone (via pop3) and the app polls every 15 mins. I prefer the app because I don't need my gmail instantly since I'm more often at a computer.
    02-08-08 01:48 AM
    Thanks sunkast, I jumped on the $20 unlimited plan today. I hear you.. much better having unlimited, if I can actually get it working I can see abusing this bad boy quite a bit. Thanks for letting me lean on you while I am still wet behind the ears.
    You mentioned checking >services status to see what is running
    Should I not see something on other than my home wifi?
    all I see is "connection not connected"
    Should I be looking somewhere else to make sure I am setting this up correctly?

TIA
    02-08-08 11:26 PM
    It depends. If you are connected to your wireless router operating in UMA (should say UMA underneath the signal strength bars) then you are connected via WiFi. If you are connected to edge it will say EDGE. Are you able to browse web sites from the BB browser ok?
    02-09-08 12:01 AM
    Strike that.. I just did the whole "Host Route Table" reg.. and took out the battery for 30 secs and seems to working just fine..I have about 7 new icons.. facebook, setup email, maps etc.. so I am going to muddle through this a bit.
    To answer your question:
    I show wifi -|||| signal bars
    edge
    NO UMA. ... funny thing is yesterday I did have the UMA

Thoughts?
    02-09-08 12:12 AM
    hey sunkast dont mean to hi-jack this thread but i also got the data package last night and the guy said it would take between 2 hours and 2 days for it to fully kick in. how can i see if i have the data package working? at home im using my wifi and at work i can get the customer wifi cuz my tool box is only 50ft from the customer waiting area, but what about on the way home? any tests i can do? i did the manage connections>service status and my blackberry internet says connection wifi, should i double check that on the way home in the middle of the highway since there are no free wifi out in the highway?
    02-14-08 08:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD