Does Alltel support the new 4.5? I tried to load it and it says in the applicaton loader that the phone has the newest software and I only have 4.3!!!!!

Thanks
    11-27-08 07:20 PM
    They havnt released an official version for Alltell.
    11-27-08 07:29 PM
    Does Alltel support the new 4.5? I tried to load it and it says in the applicaton loader that the phone has the newest software and I only have 4.3!!!!!

Thanks
    I have Alltel and updated to 4.5 last week. RIM has a website set up to step you through the procedure. From what I can tell, Alltel and other carriers are supporting the procedure. Love the new OS so far! Read the thread here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/blac...upgrade-81207/
    11-27-08 08:18 PM
    Its not an offical alltell version, its an offical RIM version.
    11-27-08 08:38 PM
    What is the difference? Is a carrier release better or more stable? My phone works fine. I figured this was a carrier version since RIM posted a way to upgrade but I'm still relatively new to BB and haven't upgraded an OS before. Mt phone works fine as do Alltel programs. Just curious.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-08 09:40 PM
    Its not supported as yet by Alltell, meaning, right now, your phone is out of warranty if something were to happen to it being you dont have the offical alltell OS (latest version) on your phone, now if you need to send it back, you can always (if still working) you can put back on alltells latest official version, however if something happens and its totally fried were you cant even do that, they probably wont do anything for you - because its not thier version.

TMO and Verizon have offical versions, they have announced it, Im not sure sprint has, but I know Alltell doesnt have an official yet.

If you download from blackberry.com, its *buyer beware* so to speak.

The OS you have now will work, or should work fine, I dont have an offical tmo on mine, and havnt for a while, but something you may wanna know
    11-27-08 09:51 PM
    Yikes! I had no idea that you could void your warranty by installing a OS that RIM posted. I could see if it were a beta but this is an official release by RIM. I just assumed that if RIM posted an easy way to upgrade that it was with carrier approval. Wish they had mentioned wattanty issues at the RIM website (or in the Crackberry thread). That said I don't intend to downgrade. I don't think Alltel will release a version before the merger and who knows when those who transfer to VZW will have access. I appreciate the info.

11-27-08 10:02 PM
    Yep, official by RIM, still not by Alltell

No problem at all..

I know everyones different and people DO have issues with OS stuff, that being said, Ive installed 4 different ones now, and at no times ever did I have any issues, and I hope I didnt just jinx myself for the future LOL

Alltell is merging with verizon?
    11-27-08 10:04 PM
    You will be fine, go ahead and install it...
    11-27-08 10:09 PM
    Rachel --
    A merger has been in the works for months. From what I understand it has gotten both FTC and DOJ approval but parts will need to be divested if there is too large a market share in some areas.

PS: Sorry I can't seem to reply with a quote on this WAP forum. I get only a partial quote, typing in is dodgy and no submit button. Not sure what is up with that.

11-27-08 10:16 PM
    Ahh I had no idea... interesting.
    11-27-08 10:18 PM
    I say run the 4.5...
    11-27-08 10:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD