Hey guys, just got my curve yesterday

I have no data plan (due to the fact 90% of the day i have active wifi access) and after doing a little research thought that the aim/msn clients on the curve used SMS messages (I have unlimited texting). Anyways I cant sign on either for aim it says to activate my handheld by going to blackberry.com/aim and for live messenger it says blackberry.com/livemessenger, however after I go here and install the active x control, it tells me:

Sorry, your device does not meet the system requirements that are needed to support AOL Instant Messenger for BlackBerry.

same for live messenger, any idea's on why its not working and how I can get it working? I have everything stock except for the L theme on here.

Thanks.
    08-07-08 12:28 AM
    I believe both of those apps need data to send and receive,
    and to make the connection.
    08-07-08 12:33 AM
    Are you using an 8320 on AT&T or T-Mobile?

If t-mobile, you may need a data plan. From my understanding, the IM clients use data.
    08-07-08 12:34 AM
    Are you using an 8320 on AT&T or T-Mobile?

If t-mobile, you may need a data plan. From my understanding, the IM clients use data.
    Using the 8320 on T-Mobile but from other posts people are saying they use sms (on most other phone's they use it as SMS anyways), is there a program that will utilize your sms so you dont need the data plan?
    08-07-08 01:29 AM
    Do a search for OZ Instant Messenger, or check the IM
    app icon on your BB. I know how to get to it from an 8310,
    no clue on the 8320
    08-07-08 02:06 AM
    You need a data plan to use the pre-installed messengers. I had thought the same thing as you until I read about. Bought the data plan and ot works. You should get it, its a great thing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-08 02:28 AM
    Do a search for OZ Instant Messenger, or check the IM
    app icon on your BB. I know how to get to it from an 8310,
    no clue on the 8320
    I did a few searched on that IM and it said that both Unlim IM and Data is needed, data to connect to the servers and sms to send the actual messages out.

Right now I'm struggling financially and want to cut down costs as much as I can because I already have a $450/mo. car payment, phone bill, gas, majority of my money goes there

Eventually I will get the unlim data plan but until then I wont be able to use aim on here?
    08-07-08 02:34 AM
    I think that you can use JiveTalk to connect over wi-fi...
    08-07-08 02:36 AM
    Hi All.

I'm a new BB owner and loving my curve.

I confirmed and re-confirmed with T-Mobile twice that all our pre-loaded IM client use the SMS/MMS/IM package. You do not need a data plan to use IMs on T-Mobile.

I can use Yahoo, ICQ, and Google Talk all just fine but I keep getting "Visit blackberry.com/aim to activate".

I tried accessing blackberry.com/aim using wifi but it says it needs the radio turned on...weird as any other website works fine.

On my PC I get a "An unspecified error has occurred"

I'm going to try and contact blackberry for a solution.

My setup:
    Carrier: T-Mobile FamilyShare
    Options: Unlimited Email, 400 SMS/MMS/IM
    08-09-08 02:30 AM
    Hi All.

I confirmed and re-confirmed with T-Mobile twice that all our pre-loaded IM client use the SMS/MMS/IM package. You do not need a data plan to use IMs on T-Mobile.

I can use Yahoo, ICQ, and Google Talk all just fine but I keep getting "Visit blackberry.com/aim to activate".

I tried accessing blackberry.com/aim using wifi but it says it needs the radio turned on...weird as any other website works fine.

My setup:
    Yeah I went into a t-mobile store and they activated the Blackberry Feature Enabler (my dad had a blackbery thats why I know about it) and AIM signed on and worked for a while after that..the next day its saying the same thing, to activate the handheld...what i'm going to eventually do is call 611 and ask them whats going on because this is a problem on t-mobile's end.

But after the feature enabler is put on your account AIM/MSN/Yahoo/ICQ pre-installed on the device will use SMS texting...not data.
    08-09-08 05:57 PM
    Hi All.

My setup:
    im having the same exact problem with the "An unspecified error has occured" with AIM and ICQ as well. What's going on?
    08-11-08 03:20 AM
    When I had these same problems originally, tmob tech told me I needed BB data plan, so I got one and they worked flawlessly ever since. They said it has to do with the way they connect.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-08 04:05 AM
    I am using BB 8320. But the think is that I am trying to sign in MSN, ICQ, YAHOO and Gtalk on the wifi but it never sign in. In fact I never sign in these service ever.

Even, I have hide these MSN, ICQ, YAHOO, Gtalk from my main page.

Is there any one who will help me to bring these service to life ??

Regards

Shah.M.Anum
    [email protected]
    10-31-08 07:42 AM
    The IM clients use the BIS transport protocol, which means it will not work at all unless you have a BB data plan. It goes through the BB NOC, just like PIN messages or emails.
    10-31-08 08:23 AM
    I didnt think you could get the blackberry hooked up without a data plan. The data plan is a great thing to have. Couldnt live without it now lol.
    11-01-08 03:41 PM
    echoing what others said. you will need data plan even tho it uses sms. it need data in order to connect to aim network and see your buddy list and refresh. it will use sms when you actually send the message and receive message.

so data to connect to network to see buddy list
    sms to send and receive messages
    11-01-08 04:38 PM
    echoing what others said. you will need data plan even tho it uses sms. it need data in order to connect to aim network and see your buddy list and refresh. it will use sms when you actually send the message and receive message.

so data to connect to network to see buddy list
    sms to send and receive messages
    Wrong. It goes over BIS, not SMS. Other phones use SMS, but not BlackBerries.
    11-01-08 04:44 PM
    I have the same issue -- Error 65. Can't connect when trying to setup MSN Messenger.

I have not had any issues with dozens of other apps or web browsing, email, etc.

This is the first chat client I've tried to setup and I just got my Curve 8320 3 days ago.

I have T-Mobile and I have the $25/month unlimited data plan but I've also got my WiFi access here in my apartment.

So why won't it connect for me? I have data, no issues with anything else, etc.
    01-09-09 08:32 PM
    Nevermind. I went to blackberry.com/livemessenger on my BB and downloaded the newer version. It turned out the one on my BB was quite old. Apparantly that's why it wouldn't connect.
    01-09-09 09:12 PM
    I have all the preloaded messenger apps like Yahoo, Aim, Msn, Icq etc. the problem is when I try to sign in the program responds "service not enabled for this handheld" When I called my T-mobile my service provider they as usual try to sell me something by telling me that the only way that I could gain access is by purchasing their data plan for $24.99 monthly charge, the reason I feel that their claim is absurd is simply cause I had it running on the MDA as i had explained previously.... Is there perhaps another application I must download, or maybe program the phone in some way???
    02-24-09 05:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD