Well I've been running a 8300 w/v4.5.0.52 install on ATT for 1 full week. Here are a few things I thought I'd share.

Remember these worked for me. Hopefully will for you.

1. Updated DM to v4.5 on the PC.

2. Started DM, hooked up my 8300, and backed everything up. Removed some apps I didn't use (games and such).

3. Disconnect my 8300 and shut down DM.

4. Reboot (most likely didn't need to but error on the safe side)

5. Installed new v4.5.0.52 Operating System on the PC.

6. Deleted the Vendor.xml file as stated in earlier posts.

7. Turned off my 8300 and removed my 4GB Media Card. (most likely didn't need to do this but again errored on the safe side). Turned my 8300 back on and hookup up my 8300 via USB and was promped to upgrade to new OS.

8. I did a custom install so I could select some items like DocsToGo which by default were not selected.

9. After this I select Finished, set back and waited for DM to do it's thing.

NOTE: Your 8300 will go thru a couple reboots and it take DM almost a solid 20+ minutes to do all it has to. After it has finished, the 8300 did one last reboot and like stated earlier in other post, you will watch the hourglass for another 15 - 20 minutes. (Note: During this time watching the hourglass, I did notice a lot of PC Harddrive activity. Figured it must be sending info to the 8300 during this time)

10. Logged into Blackberry's Site and had the Service Books reset. (HTML did not work on E-mail until I did this. Don't really know much about the Service Books).

11. Turned my 8300 off and I re-installed my new 8GB microSD card and turned the 8300 back on. (At this point I did not use DM to transfer my Music/Pics/Videos back. I just used Explorer with the 8300 as just another external drive.)

After all the above, I have had NO Problems to date.

1. The Camera worked fine and as it did before (with ZOOM)

2. New Video work fine.

3. Email w/ HTML support works fine. (This was worth the upgrade by itself) Note: Existing E-mails will not show HTML. Only the ones you receive after the upgrade.

4. Music plays fine.

5. Videos plays fine.

6. I've heard reports of lower volume but if it is, I really didn't notice it that much. Still had what I needed.

7. All apps were reinstalled with no problem except for Facebook. I just did a re-install and it now works fine.

8. And yes all 8GB of the media card is now usable.

Don't know what other tests to put it thru but I'm sure glad I did the upgrade and to date have had nothing but good to report. Any other questions, just let me know.

Hope this helps anyone who has been holding off or has been having problems making the upgrade work.

Jim
    08-07-08 10:55 AM
    yes 4.5.0.52 is a very stable release
    08-07-08 11:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD