Hello guyz,

I came across a site that gave a download link and instructions on how to upgrade the OS to 4.5 Beta. I really like to have the HTML mails and better Media Player.

Since I am not sure what would be implications, I was hoping for some expert advice from you guyz. Any comments are highly appriciated.

Thank you all in advance.
    05-28-08 12:56 PM
    I would say hold off untill the actual release, then again nuking my berry scares me so ;p I'll just wait.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-08 01:02 PM
    So the new OS let's us view real emails with pictures? That's sweet. Wasn't really in the mood to spend some more money for an app that let's me do that. Does anyone have an idea when this release will be available?

05-28-08 01:15 PM
    There is no HTML with 4.5 beta. Supposedly when its officialy released HTML will work because it will have RIM server supported HTML email.

05-28-08 01:36 PM
    no it is not advised to upgrade to a BETA OS you should wait until the official release
    05-28-08 01:44 PM
    no it is not advised to upgrade to a BETA OS you should wait until the official release
    Seconded. More often than not, a person that installs the beta has a problem.
    05-28-08 01:57 PM
    Seconded. More often than not, a person that installs the beta has a problem.
    Exactly.
    I did the Beta .37 a few weeks ago and had nothing but problems.
    Tried again today, with a few changes to what I removed in the optimization, and still I had 3 apps that would not work, one that restarted the BB any time I opened it and dropped calls all over the place.

Downgrading back to 4.2 and that is where I will live until there is a stable and official version.
    05-28-08 02:39 PM
    It is not advised.

HTML email is not that simple either. It will require server side changes before it shows up on the device, so simply updating your OS won't automatically give it to you.
    05-28-08 02:47 PM
    I'm running OS 4.5.0.37 on an 8800 problem-free. even with 4.5.0.9 I only had occasional signal drop. 'sup to you if you listen to ALL those above me or me. I've been dubbed "the 4.5 guy" so I may be classed as biased? I dunno. I'm bi-assed; I have 2 donkeys.
    05-28-08 02:54 PM
    Two donkeys, that's is wickedly funny.
    05-28-08 02:58 PM
    Two donkeys, that's is wickedly funny.
    I hope I don't detect sarcasm in your voi-... font AG!
    05-28-08 03:10 PM
    I hope I don't detect sarcasm in your voi-... font AG!
    No sarcasm, that made me laugh out loud

Best thing since
    Poli = many
    Ticks = blood sucking insect

Put 'em together, you get Politics
    05-28-08 03:15 PM
    No sarcasm, that made me laugh out loud

Best thing since
    Poli = many
    Ticks = blood sucking insect

Put 'em together, you get Politics
    HAHAHAHA! Now THAT is true! The donkey thing wasn't too true .
    05-28-08 03:19 PM
    Well guyz... I guess I was too eager. I waited for responses for a while and when no one responded, I thought to myself what the **** and started the upgrade process.

I guess now its a bit too late for me to have second thoughts.

I really appriciate your advice and concerns. Since I have already started the process. I will try it out for a few days (propably few hours) and report back.

In the mean time, if any of you can direct me on how to downgrade the OS back to its original one, I would be greatful.

Thank ya all once again.
    05-28-08 03:29 PM
    Uninstall 4.5 from your computer, plug your phone back in and run the app loader. It should rollback to 4.2.
    05-28-08 04:15 PM
    Well guyz... I guess I was too eager. I waited for responses for a while and when no one responded, I thought to myself what the **** and started the upgrade process.

I really appriciate your advice and concerns. Since I have already started the process. I will try it out for a few days (propably few hours) and report back.

In the mean time, if any of you can direct me on how to downgrade the OS back to its original one, I would be greatful.

Thank ya all once again.
    ugh! the first response was about 6 minutes after the post! good luck with the beta. seems like staying away is the best way. i've not had alot of experience with berry beta os's (actually none!) but i used to dabble all the time with my 8525 with windows mobile. never failed that as soon as i had done something new that was a beta or untested version of something, i regretted it. i've since just adopted the attitude that i'll wait for anyting official. sometimes (at least for me) forums are good at getting you to try new things. but if not done right, or you think its right and its not, the results can be heart wrenching! i'm on a notebook forum where i constantly am trying new things with my dell xps 1730 (i'm a techo geek all the way around, lol) and man do i sometimes get myself in a bind. i clone the entire hard drive every other day to 3 different hard drives because of the damage i sometimes inflict! i've had to try really hard not to start dabbling with my berry! but i love it soo much i just cant stand that fact that i might screw it up!
    05-29-08 02:36 AM

Thank ya all once again.
    Might want to read this (change the xx to tt), especially since you are on T-Mobile:

hxxp://www.blackberryforums.com/beta-you-than-me/131660-4-5-killing-sim-cards.html

Don't know if you will have problems but consider yourself informed of the risks.
    05-29-08 06:33 AM
    Uninstall thru the add/remove section on your pc.. I usually change my OS every other week. If you have reservations, don't do it. Just wait.

05-29-08 07:12 AM
    Here is the update guys...

I have installed the Beta, and I LOVE it. I know there are a lot of problems mentioned with this upgrade, but personally, I did not face any issues as yet. Probably I'm speaking too early.

I JUST LOVE the email interface. I do not have any third party Sftwr running on my Curve. So, no problems there.

The one thing I noticed is that, When on WiFi, I dont see the 'UMA' anymore.

I even added some VDOs and was able to watch them with no problems.

The BBbrowser's mouse pointer that moves with the trackball is an awesome feature.

Once again, thank you all for your advice and concern. But, since I already took the plunge and am not facing any issues, I might as well enjoy the OS while it lasts.
    05-29-08 11:48 AM
    I'm running OS 4.5.0.37 on an 8800 problem-free. even with 4.5.0.9 I only had occasional signal drop. 'sup to you if you listen to ALL those above me or me. I've been dubbed "the 4.5 guy" so I may be classed as biased? I dunno. I'm bi-assed; I have 2 donkeys.
    Yeah...I have been running 4.5 for a while now and am willing to live with some problems...because I'm an IT guy and not afraid of technical issues. Using .37 on my 8320 and It's very stable. Can't remember where I got it from tho as for HTML. If you are only using BIS you have to wait until BIS 2.5 for HTML to work. If you are on a BES you have to officially wait until 4.1.6 comes out...unofficially a BES admin (like myself) you can enable it via some instructions I got on another forum). It's not recommended as it puts a lot of strain on the Exchange server with 4.1.5. I manually made the changes to my BES so that I am the only one with HTML email...since I am the only one using BETA 4.5.
    05-29-08 02:22 PM
    Not too fussed about HTML email myself, one of the things I love is the fonts! I like the arialish look.
    05-30-08 05:29 AM
    I have had no problems on my 8310. Was even able to watch some vids on youtube.
    05-30-08 05:59 AM
    There is no HTML with 4.5 beta. Supposedly when its officialy released HTML will work because it will have RIM server supported HTML email.

i have 4.5 beta and html mail
    05-31-08 06:50 AM
    Why should you care what anyone else has to say. If you want to try it, buck up and install it. Its not like you cant go back if you dont like. I personally have had 4.5 on my 8320 for about 6 weeks and have had zero problems with it, other than the memory leak.
    05-31-08 09:26 AM
    does anyone know if this upgrade is compatible with the 8830 from VZW?
    05-31-08 09:33 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD