Hello all, I'm new to the Blackberry thing, but really liking it so far. I switched a few weeks ago after the whole Sidekick debacle. I've tried to look around and read the FAQs and 101s, so I do apologize if this has been discussed somewhere before and I missed it.

I have quite a few contacts in my old phone (Sidekick LX, gross, I know) and I was wondering the best way to transfer them. There is quite a bit of info, since I'm a bit anal and always do full name, email, bee day, website, IM, facebook, etc. I know there is no magic wand, but I really do not want to type all this info directly onto the blackberry. With the sidekick I could access all of my info over the web, so I could make changes to the address book online. I'm a much faster computer typer than phone typer. Is there a feature like this with blackberry? I've looked around the desktop manager and do not see anything. I have heard that you can sync your blackberry with Microsoft Outlook? Is that easy? I have never used Outlook, and just got a new computer with Windows 7, and I do not think I even have it (perfectly willing to download though, if it is the easiest way to add/edit contacts in address book). Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Kristin
    12-17-09 11:02 AM
    There is a device switch wizard in dm but I've only used it to switch from BB to BB. But I know you can use it for any device but since I haven't done it myself I can offer no specific advice. But I bet you could figure it out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-09 01:51 PM
    Welcome!

Outlook does not come with Windows 7, and it's not free. It is part of the (usually) expensive Office package. You can download (from Microsoft) Windows Live Mail, which replaced Outlook Express. I think it may be possible to transfer using this. I would put one address in it and try it.

In addition to reading the 101 Series, you should check the Desktop Manager forum topic.
    12-17-09 02:05 PM
    And also, Google Sync may be what you need. I don't have any experience with it myself, but I have seen posts about using it to transfer contacts.
    12-17-09 02:13 PM
    Thank you. I will check out Office and Windows Live Mail.
    12-17-09 11:01 PM
    Can you get your contacts from your sidekick into Gmail? If so, thats probably the easiest way to get your contacts to you BB over the air (ie, no hooking up wires). If you can, then download google sync.

Google sync in addition to helping you this one time, will backup your contacts to gmail so if you lose your phone, you still have your contacts. In addition, it can sync your BB calendar with google calendar if you use it.

So you wouldn't lose contacts or events on your calendar.
    12-18-09 12:37 AM
    Here's a link to
    If you cannot run the Device Switch Wizard, the carriers will usually be glad to transfer your contacts for you.

You may be able to transfer contacts via Bluetooth, something else to look into.

12-18-09 12:45 AM
    You can download the beta Office 2010 which includes Outlook Express. It's free to use until Oct. 2010. I downloaded it and it's awesome!

12-18-09 07:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD