I woke up this morning to my bb 8310 wiping itself, and it was not just after going to the bathroom. i freaked out in my half awake stupor and fumbled to take the battery out. upon waking up completely, i slid the battery back in.... it continued to wipe. freaked out again, took it out. so. apparently i am a sleep wiper and would like to know if i can stop the wipe that is just waiting for me to put the battery back in. i'm really stuck here and everytime i google blackberry wipe, and how to stop it, all i get are these crazy people who are intentionally trying to wipe this beautiful device!! any help would be amazing. thank you
    joe
    04-24-08 11:19 AM
    No, theres no way to stop it. You can only restore it from the most recent backup... You do backup youtr BB, right?

LOL
    04-24-08 11:21 AM
    omg i hope you have recently backed up ur berry! i heard after it wipes it scrubbs itself, and it take a while.

hope you regularly do back ups
    04-24-08 11:29 AM
    Yeah bro, can't fight the wipe. The same **** happen to me. I woak up and I saw my blackberry threaten me to wipe its self n there was nothing I could do about it. I just let it do what it had to do. Now the question is . . . How n why did it decide to do that.

-WIZ
    04-24-08 11:40 AM
    how does a blackberry get wiped? stupid question i suppose...
    04-24-08 01:36 PM
    When the device runs low on memory, it activates the memory recovery program.

It does a great job of recovering memory, at the expense of your data.
    04-24-08 03:25 PM
    damn. ::tear:: thank you all. ive had my BB for about 4 days now. finally got all the peoples numbers i was missing from my last phone. and BLAM. gonzo. i'll be backing it up very shortly after recovery. is there anything i have to do after it finishes scrubbing?
    04-24-08 08:32 PM
    You should not loose contact information. Call logs, Calender previous entries and temp files are cleared.

Wiping applies when a password can not be provided after 10 tries.

Once you have it back, do a backup regularly. The Desktop Manager defaults to weekly, you can change it to daily if needed.

The Curve is a thing of beauty, packed full full of innovative technical features.... too full.

First thing you need is a Media Card, 2 or 4 Gb of mass storage is reasonable and they are cheap.

Second, purge the preinstalled media and build a customized system. You can easily free up 10 Mb and that will really help in delaying the onset of low memory maintenance.
    Last edited by Stoner; 04-24-08 at 08:43 PM.
    [email protected] likes this.
    04-24-08 08:35 PM
    Wiping ~

1. Incorrect password entry: If you enter an incorrect password into your BlackBerry 10 consecutive times, the BlackBerry is programmed to wipe itself out as a security precaution. You will be prompted to type the word �blackberry� (no quotes) in order to confirm the wipe.
    2. Manual Wipe: In order to perform a manual wipe of your entire BlackBerry, you will need to do the following: Options > Security Options > General Settings > Click the trackwheel/trackball on the Password field > Select �Wipe Handheld�. As with the above method you be prompted to enter �blackberry� (no quotes) in order confirm the system wipe.

Memory Cleaning ~

From BlackBerry.com

Details
    Your handheld's memory can contain sensitive information such as passwords, email message bodies, and private keys. To eliminate the risk of that information being compromised, BlackBerry supports a feature called Memory Cleaner. The Memory Cleaner has two main functions:
    1. Secure Garbage Collection
    2. Clearing Caches
    3. Secure Garbage Collection
    All Java objects are stored on the handheld in RAM or flash memory. Normally, when a Java object is no longer needed, the memory assigned to that object is released to be overwritten by new data. When Memory Cleaner is enabled, the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) overwrites the memory using zeroes before it is released. As a result, there is no way to retrieve the data from the memory chips.

Clearing Caches

Memory Cleaner clears various caches on the handheld including the temporary key store, content protection caches, address book caches, and the handheld clipboard. See the Additional Information section below for the complete list of cleared caches.

When it actually works:

Installation

Memory Cleaner is installed and enabled with the installation of the S/MIME Support Package. Memory Cleaner is installed with BlackBerry Hand held Software version 4.0, but is not enabled until Content Protection is enabled.

Automatic Activation

Memory Cleaner is activated automatically when:

The hand held is synchronized with the desktop.
    The user locks the hand held.
    The hand held locks after a specified amount of idle time.
    The user changes the time or time zone.
    04-24-08 08:41 PM
    Very thorough list yester18
    Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-08 11:47 PM
    okay so wonderful. now i'm getting a white screen with
    JVM Error 513
    Reset..

and reset doesnt do anything. argh.

what now?
    04-25-08 02:06 AM
    It also happens during a toliet drop no?
    04-25-08 02:35 AM
    okay. i still have this JVM Error 513 issue. and ive followed a tutorial on re loading my OS, but when i get to the App Loader, there isnt anything in the box to check on or off for it to load? Do i have to click the add buton and naviagte to something? I would really appreciate any help. and i'll give you any extra info that i didnt put in here if you need it. also you can email me at [email protected]
    04-25-08 10:48 AM
    It sounds like you have the Desktop manager loaded, but you have to Load the phones OS to the Computer as well, Has this been done? And if it is form another carrier you have to delete the vender.xml before it will load.
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\vender.xml
    04-25-08 11:15 AM
    This is much more then a low memory issue.

That error message means the last active thread has terminated.

When that happens, you need to totaly replace the OS.

Here is a link to get you started. I prefer this over the JI Cmder choice.

What to do next if Jl Cmder will not connect and wipe - BlackBerryFAQ
    04-25-08 12:39 PM
    It sounds like you have the Desktop manager loaded, but you have to Load the phones OS to the Computer as well, Has this been done? And if it is form another carrier you have to delete the vender.xml before it will load.
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\vender.xml
    and how do i load the phones os to the computer? i really appreciate you help!
    04-25-08 02:01 PM
    To download and install the OS on your PC, do this, in order:
    read http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...2-194-a-24857/

- Download the OS from here and save it to your desktop.
    - Install it.
    - Delete the file Vendor.xml in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\
    - Run Desktop Manager and then connect your BB
    - Launch Application Manager and it should find the OS

Wait several nerve wracking minutes whilst the new OS loads.
    04-25-08 04:12 PM
    thankyou.. all is solved! my first experience gone wrong has turned out ok thanks to you all!
    04-25-08 04:56 PM
    Hmm, if somehow the crackberry doesn't wipe completely, does it have dingleberries?
    04-25-08 08:23 PM
    Well i woke up one morning and looked to my BB and found that my call log and sms message's had been totally erased. and then it happened the next day to. I dont know if this is considered wiping or not, but can someone possibly tell me why its doing this?
    06-08-08 06:57 PM
    so i woke up and tried to log n 2 my curve got the wrong PW 8 times entered blackberry when it promtped me to not knowing i was turning on the scrubbing process gerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............so now its scrubbing i understand i may have lost all the info on my device seeing how well u know i reset it but my question is my 4gb memory card that was in the phone will it and all the items store on it be affected? O boy i have learned a big lesson no more numeric PW's 4 me!
    06-19-08 10:40 AM
    Your memory card will not be affected by the wipe.
    06-19-08 11:10 AM
    so you dont loose contacts?
    06-30-08 08:46 AM
    so you dont loose contacts?
    You will lose the address book. It's stored in device memory, not on the media card.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-08 09:37 AM
    Reed said: First thing you need is a Media Card, 2 or 4 Gb of mass storage is reasonable and they are cheap.

Second, purge the preinstalled media and build a customized system. You can easily free up 10 Mb and that will really help in delaying the onset of low memory maintenance.[/QUOTE]

Reed, is there a step by step instruction for doing the purge and building the customized system? I'd sure appreciate knowing how. I did purchase and install a 4 gig media card. but I'd sure like to free up as much mem as possible.

Thank you very much,

Karendee, newbie BB Curve 8310 user with OS v4.2.2.170
    11-19-08 02:38 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD