How would the Blackberry make an emergency call without pushing the 9, 1, 1 keys?
    03-04-08 11:57 AM
    the phone can use other countries emergency numbers as well ... at least my treo used to ... i cant remember what Europes is ... but everytime i had my treo in my pocket i'd call for help without knowing it ... I've never had the issue with my blackberry ...
    03-04-08 12:26 PM
    the phone can use other countries emergency numbers as well ... at least my treo used to ... i cant remember what Europes is ... but everytime i had my treo in my pocket i'd call for help without knowing it ... I've never had the issue with my blackberry ...
    I have read several posts about accidental calls so I thought I would ask.
    I thought maybe there was a 1 key entry for emergency calls or something.
    03-04-08 12:39 PM
    You might have a speed dial key programmed for 911.
    I'm a 911 operator and accidental calls happen EVERYDAY all day.
    I've heard some crazy stuff while being on the other end of a "pocket" call. LOL!!
    Check ur redail and see what was pushed. And for Gods sake...LOCK YOUR KEYS!
    03-04-08 02:22 PM
    if you have hey lock on, and you press the trackball, it prompts you to make an emergency call, and it will, regardless if you have key lock on or not. Use the standby mode.
    03-04-08 02:28 PM
    Hmm my phone has the emergency call button when locked but then it asks "are you sure you want to call emergency?" So isn't that like double security?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-08 02:37 PM
    Yes, but it still does happen
    03-04-08 02:48 PM
    phones placed in pockets are just itching to make emergancy calls ... i have had several phones LOCKED in my pocket and still they insisted on placing an emergancy call ... and i've had several phones that were never locked and never made a call while in my pocket ... its all about the right buttons being pressed in the right order ... they try to make it so you HAVE to intentionally press the buttons but, when you put your phone in your pockets anything goes ...
    03-04-08 02:50 PM
    about a month ago, I was trying to turn off my alarm in a sleep stupor and I guess it accidentally called 911. I had hung up (thought I was turning off the alarm). When the dispatcher called me back they were asking "Are you in a safe place right now?" I'm like "yeah, I'm in bed trying to sleep in"

I was so embarrassed.
    03-04-08 02:57 PM
    ''LOCK YOUR KEYS''

Then it's even easier to call 911! There's a freakin' button for it!

03-04-08 04:46 PM
    You might have a speed dial key programmed for 911.
    I'm a 911 operator and accidental calls happen EVERYDAY all day.
    I've heard some crazy stuff while being on the other end of a "pocket" call. LOL!!
    Check ur redail and see what was pushed. And for Gods sake...LOCK YOUR KEYS!
    My daughter grabbed my BB while I had it locked. She was able to use the trackball to Make Emergency Call a couple times. To the 911 Operators, I am truly sorry for that. I am trying my best to either mute my phone and put it away from her if possible. I can't guarantee the little devil wont do it again. I hope BB come up with a better way to make 911 call in lock mode.

to all 911 operators, thanks for all the great work. I hope the director of 911 can reflect this issue to BB. maybe you can get Jay Leno to report all these accidental 911 calls in his stupid 911 call segment. that should get the attention from BB and the director of 911.
    03-05-08 03:23 AM
    my phone always locks upon holstering and i always see the option for "emergency call" but i cant imagine accidently placing one. i think i enabled password on my phone for a few days and that got rid of the emergency call option, but typing a password everytime i pull out my phone is a little time consuming when i holster it thousands of times everyday.
    03-05-08 05:14 AM
    I am a manager in the Operations Department of the regional 9-1-1 centre in Vancouver BC Canada... and I know this happens ALL OVER THE WORLD!

In our centre, we deal with about 1.25 Million 9-1-1 calls a year.. that works out to a little over 2400 a day! Of those, we *average* about 300 misdials/accidental 9-1-1 calls per day.. each one either a cell phone in someone's pocket, backpack, or purse.

In my humble opinion phone designers and engineers have a tough task: Try to design a device that allows access to the 9-1-1 call when there is a true emergency (maybe what? a one in ten thousand chance that call will need to be made?) ... while balancing the form and function of the device for its everyday use! Its not an easy task.. and I think RIM and all the others are doing their best.

The approach we took where I work is public education. We did a massive public education campaign via radio, and newspaper, with catchy ads about how your "pants" can dial 9-1-1 etc.. we got a lot of press from the local and national news agencies... and wham.. our "accidental cell phone" calls dropped by about 20% ... thats a good start!

This will never go away.. its part of the business.. and I would MUCH rather have my staff deal with all of the accidental ones.. and make sure people are safe.. then have the designers of the phones make it so difficult to make an emergency call that someone doesn't get the help they need... oh lord think of the lawsuits LOL

Like many things in life.. its about balance.. and managing expectations
    04-11-08 08:43 PM
    I have accidently called 911 twice in the last month.. both times with the keys locked and both times while wearing jeans. I guess my dockers don't rub it the right way.

I wish they could let me disable that popup menu or add something where you would have to do more the scroll and push the wheel.

The best part is that it doesn't even log it in your call log, so after the first callback from 911, I thought it wasn't me. Now I know.
    04-25-08 02:19 PM
    if you have hey lock on, and you press the trackball, it prompts you to make an emergency call, and it will, regardless if you have key lock on or not. Use the standby mode.
    Really...........................
    04-25-08 07:54 PM
    did this the other day... DOH! had keyboard locked, said 1) unlock 2) cancel 3) emergency call, i guess i pressed 3 by accident, it called 911, i hung up immediately (before i thought it connected) got a call a few seconds later asking what my emergency was, slightly embarrassing.
    04-25-08 08:06 PM
    I don't understand why Emergency call is an option. On my old Nextel if i locked the keypad that was it. If you hit a key it tells you how to unlock it and then you can make your call. I wish my Curve was the same way I want to lock it and not be able to use it until you hit star and call
    04-25-08 09:29 PM
    i have done it too...thanks to key lock
    06-16-08 10:26 PM
    I don't understand why Emergency call is an option. On my old Nextel if i locked the keypad that was it. If you hit a key it tells you how to unlock it and then you can make your call. I wish my Curve was the same way I want to lock it and not be able to use it until you hit star and call
    Hit the mute button at the top... that is key lock. The only way to bring it out of it is to hit the mute button again.
    06-16-08 11:55 PM
    It is VERY easy to make the call when the phone is locked - I assume that's required by some law. I kept my keys locked for the first day that I owned my curve, then I discovered standby. There is absolutely no reason to lock your keys. Standby saves battery, still lets you receive calls/texts/IMs/and every other notification under the sun. Best of all, the only way to unlock it us by hitting the mute button up top. That button is next to impossible to hit in your pocket. Also, if configured properly (this is the default configuration), the berry will go to standby when you have it holstered, so there's no reason to lock it there either.

There's a very good reason why RIM doesn't give you any hot keys to lock the keys - and that's cause it's completely useless!
    06-17-08 03:08 PM
    about a month ago, I was trying to turn off my alarm in a sleep stupor and I guess it accidentally called 911. I had hung up (thought I was turning off the alarm). When the dispatcher called me back they were asking "Are you in a safe place right now?" I'm like "yeah, I'm in bed trying to sleep in"

I was so embarrassed.
    LMAO, I bet the operator was like "what the h***.."
    06-17-08 06:23 PM
    Check out Emergency Call Lock @ simpsystems.com
    03-30-10 08:08 AM
    Don't forget from the homescreen you can press and hold the mute key and put the phone on standby. Still gets notifications but all buttons will be dead with exception of the mute key to wake it back up!

03-31-10 10:08 PM
    So two days ago i was drunk and i hit the emergency call button. I though someone called me. 911 lady was liek(this is for emergencies only. The whole time i was like, who in the **** called my phone.
    04-01-10 01:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD