I bought the 8GB card for my 8310...installed it and it came up as 7.5GB available for storage with a total size of 7.6. (What happened to other .4GB I wonder? But wait...things get much worse.) I create a playlist in itunes that's 7.3GB in size and synced it up using the Mark/Space Missing Sync software (I've got a mac and it's the only way I know to get the music on the card) According to the missing sync software, everything worked fine after 2 plus hours of transferring. I double check the list in the sync history window against my original itunes playlist...everything seems to have transferred over. I turn on my berry...go to the media section and select All Songs; the titles come up alphabetically with numbers before letters, and I start to scroll down. Right away I know something's wrong because the little dot position indicator on the side of the screen is moving down way too fast... Turns out that none of the artists whose name starts with an N or after in the alphabet are accessible. That means fully half my stuff I can't get to. Meanwhile if I go into Settings - Options - Media Card, it tells me total space is 7.5GB with only 371.MB available; so the stuff is in there but I can't get to it. In my opinion, the file system for music on the 8310 is overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of stuff the 8GB card is capable of storing. BUYER BEWARE!!! I think the software for the 8310...specifically the media management software, will need to be updated to deal with larger music files. As it is now...only the 4GB card can be used to its full potential (I have one of those too and it works perfectly....and I'll be going back to it because my music selections were based on a 4GB limit.) If anyone out there has any comments on this post I welcome them...I may be missing some crucial info on this matter and I readily defer to the knowledge of more experienced users.

Thanks,
    Pete
    02-03-08 12:24 PM
    The 4.2.2 OS on the 8310 only supports up to a 4Gb card. 4.3 and higher is required for 8Gb support.
    02-03-08 12:32 PM
    I can't shed any light on the memory card issue, but as far as getting music on the card... I'm also a mac user and i've found if you tell your curve to act as a mass storage device when you plug it into your computer it appears on your desktop as a generic usb storage device, and you can simply drag and drop files from itunes onto the icon. Works perfectly for me and its much easier.

Tip: The current OS doesn't support playlists so I just make a few different playlists in itunes, highlight one entire playlist > right click > get info > check the album box and name the album after the playlist title. Then the playlist can be found on the curve in the albums folder. NOTE: Changing the album info for a playlist also changes it for all included songs in your library. I don't really care about that since I have hardly any whole albums anyways and mainly use playlists. Not a perfect solution but i read that the new OS will support playlists so this is a good enough work around for me until then.
    02-03-08 01:03 PM
    John, not to argue with you on this (your knowledge of the force far exceeds mine) of the but that's not exactly the whole truth.

sulcopete, I cannot give you exactly what is going on with your phone but maybe this will help.

First, remember "X"GB is never "X"GB you have to have basic formatting information on your media, ie HD, thumb drive, DVD, CD or even your Micro SDHC card... So yes, your 8GB card is showing correctly as 7.5ish.

As to the 8GB card, I can tell you what I know from my own experience and anyone that has differing stories, I would love to hear them as well.
    For me, my phone is a Curve 8310 AT&T. I own the 8gb card as well.
    I have the latest AT&T OS and 4.3 Desktop.

EDIT: yes, the new OS will solve the reading of space issue and probably filing as well

My phone sees and reads the 8 gig card without problems, all 7.5 ish gb. Ensure you check yes as a mass storage device.

However, my 8gb card, is NOT seen by media manager, when installed in my phone. Which I find very weird considering if I have the same card in a card reader CAN be seen by media manager.

sulcopete, I would try a reboot (again I'm sure) and if you are still having problems try removing the data, remove the card, put it into an external reader, use media manager and reinstall the data and see what happens there.
    Last edited by DuckWarrior; 02-03-08 at 01:15 PM.
    02-03-08 01:10 PM
    Manufacturers follow the rule that 1000kb = 1mb. Which we all know that 1mb = 1024kb. So 8000mb adds up to quite a few mbs that are lost during that whole conversion. Segate was taken to court recently for that practice.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-08 02:06 PM
    So I just bought my curve and stuck in my 8gb card and formatted it with my bb and it is now only reading as 3.5gb. So how do I put it back up to 7.6gb and utilize all that space?

02-15-08 04:44 PM
    1024kb = 1mb
    02-15-08 04:58 PM
    The 4.2.2 OS on the 8310 only supports up to a 4Gb card. 4.3 and higher is required for 8Gb support.
    i concur. afaik, anything under 4.3 will only read up to 4gb. thats my experience as well, but i haven't confirmed that newer OS will read 8gb.
    02-15-08 08:09 PM
    Perfect enough for me. I had no clue how to work around that! THANK YOU!!!

I can't shed any light on the memory card issue, but as far as getting music on the card... I'm also a mac user and i've found if you tell your curve to act as a mass storage device when you plug it into your computer it appears on your desktop as a generic usb storage device, and you can simply drag and drop files from itunes onto the icon. Works perfectly for me and its much easier.

Tip: The current OS doesn't support playlists so I just make a few different playlists in itunes, highlight one entire playlist > right click > get info > check the album box and name the album after the playlist title. Then the playlist can be found on the curve in the albums folder. NOTE: Changing the album info for a playlist also changes it for all included songs in your library. I don't really care about that since I have hardly any whole albums anyways and mainly use playlists. Not a perfect solution but i read that the new OS will support playlists so this is a good enough work around for me until then.
    02-24-08 04:17 AM
    Can someone post the EXACT directions/process to installing/formatting the 8GB MicroSD SanDisk media card on the 8310 thru AT&T? I have posted questions in other areasof the forum and am completely confused on how to do this? Can the 8GB card be used with AT&T Curve or not? Some have had luck, others none.

If someone could just include some exact instructions I may be able to salvage my sanity. I can get by with 7.6 GB, b/c right now I see NOTHING!

02-24-08 03:56 PM
    I read somewhere on the BB site that the 4.3 OS now called 4.5 will read the 8GB memory card. After reading that I ordered my 8GB and put it aside. Its also all over pinstack and crackberry forum in multiple threads.

02-24-08 05:46 PM
    Well, I got the 8Gb..same problem... media manager dosnt recognize (phone recognize the card perfect).

Using a card reader I was able to put pictures and video and play it on the curve, but still no option with the media manager... any suggestions?
    03-17-08 09:32 AM
    How I formatted the 8gb card for my 8310:

1. Format the card in your BB (yes, I know it won't give you the full 8gb, TRUST ME)
    2. Remove card from BB and connect it to your PC
    3. Create a "New Folder" on your desktop
    4. Copy the contents of your 8gb card to the "New Folder" (the only thing that should be on the card are a few empty folders)
    5. Format the 8gb card on your PC (be sure to format it using FAT32 and not NTFS)
    6. Copy contents of "New Folder" back onto the 8gb card (remember, you can keep that "New Folder" and it's contents for future formatting)
    7. Disconnect 8gb card from your PC and put it in your BB
    8. Done

As an added step, you could also place things like mp3 files that you want on your BB into the appropriate folders on the 8gb card before step 7.

You will never get more than about 7.5gb availability on an 8gb card...EVER.
    03-17-08 10:35 AM
    Thanks for the information update. I've held off getting the 8 gig card for a while becuse I've read a lot of the same statements on other forums.
    03-17-08 11:09 AM
    But still no option to check on Media manager.. main concern is the transformation of video (especially DivX) from pc to BB...without hasle.

But I guess I'll have to put my fingers to work, transform everything, tranfers, and thennnnnnnnnn enjoy! lol.

Thanks for the info anyways, is very usefull.
    03-17-08 02:50 PM
    Sort of on the same subject, currently I have a 2GB memory card in my phone, I am getting an 8GB card and was wondering if all of the games & apps I've downloaded directly to my phone (ota - downloaded appointment app., memo app., & some games) are stuck on my current memory card. When I change my memory card to the 8GB will I have to re-enter all the data/info to the new card? Just wondering if this is going to be a huge pain, any info appreciated.

Thanks, GL
    03-19-08 05:10 AM
    I have problem with my 2G card it only shows up as 1.8G. It said on the package that the full amount of the mem depends on the device.

03-19-08 06:34 AM
    How I formatted the 8gb card for my 8310:

1. Format the card in your BB (yes, I know it won't give you the full 8gb, TRUST ME)
    2. Remove card from BB and connect it to your PC
    3. Create a "New Folder" on your desktop
    4. Copy the contents of your 8gb card to the "New Folder" (the only thing that should be on the card are a few empty folders)
    5. Format the 8gb card on your PC (be sure to format it using FAT32 and not NTFS)
    6. Copy contents of "New Folder" back onto the 8gb card (remember, you can keep that "New Folder" and it's contents for future formatting)
    7. Disconnect 8gb card from your PC and put it in your BB
    8. Done

As an added step, you could also place things like mp3 files that you want on your BB into the appropriate folders on the 8gb card before step 7.

You will never get more than about 7.5gb availability on an 8gb card...EVER.
    That's exactly what i did and it worked for me but after going over 4GB the mp3 files gets corrupted and wont play, can you confirm?
    03-19-08 08:18 AM
    I've only got a couple gigs on mine right now, but I'll try loading up a few movies and some more music tonight when I get home...
    03-19-08 10:27 AM
    I'm running v4.2.2.170. I haven't upgraded my BB yet.

AT&T is my carrier.
    03-19-08 12:43 PM
    I'm running v4.2.2.170 as well...
    03-19-08 09:03 PM
    i just got the 4.5 beta os on my curve 8310 will i be able to just use the 8gb card or do i have to go through the formatting procedure? did anyone come to any conclusions about the mp3s not working after 4 gigs?
    03-31-08 12:06 AM
    None Of This Wo0rks
    04-09-08 10:01 PM
    I am using v4.2.2.170 with a 8GB card in my BB8310 and everything works fine, music, movies, pics, apps, just installed the memory card and that was it. I don't use the desktop manager, however, to upload music and movies. I have a Mac so I just hook up my phone in mass storage mode and drag and drop music and movies to the right folder. Hope this helps.
    04-10-08 04:39 PM
    I have problem with my 2G card it only shows up as 1.8G. It said on the package that the full amount of the mem depends on the device.

theirs a fine line what people consider 2 gigs, most mfg, claim 2 gigs when it hits 2billion bytes, but its not true, 1 meg is 1048576, which equals 1 meg, so 2 gigs is 2147483648 but the card can be 2billion still calming it, this is normal, which 2 gigs shows up as 1.8 its some weird stuff companies do, same as cable speeds of 6 megs 15 megs its never in the binary version of the power of 2 which most stuff is referred to but to the rounded mathematical numbers we use. 2 gigs will be 1.8gb
    04-10-08 04:47 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD