Hi all,

Just a quick question re: thread title. Is it a simple process to replace the 83xx USB connector?

I'm kind of hoping its a 'clip in' kinda install, but judging by the pics on cnn.cn looks like I might need to solder it in.

Anyone had any expierence in replacing this part?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-08 05:13 AM
    It will be solder in buddy. Only 6 pins I think so no real dramas.
    11-18-08 05:24 AM
    Yeah, figured as such.. I don't have a soldering iron. Not a huge issue, I'm sure if I'm able to work a bb I can work out how to go down the shops and buy one (:

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-08 05:26 AM
    I would have a sparky geek do it for you. Heat could harm other components and they would use a heat sink while soldering. You may know someone that would do it for a free lunch or the like. Or buy a kit that gives you the iron and heat sink accessories.
    11-18-08 05:51 AM
    It will be solder in buddy. Only 6 pins I think so no real dramas.
    actually 4 pins and it can be a real pain in the **** to do, because you need to be able to heat all 4 spots at the same time to get the usb connector to sit level and flat so that it makes contact with the pins on the PCB.

NO this is not a job for a novice or someone with fumble fingers, and yes you can destroy the pcb if it is not done correctly.

I would follow teal's suggestion and get someone who works on computers or anything with circuit boards to do it for you.
    11-18-08 07:10 AM
    1. Take the phone apart and extract the PCB.
    2. Remove the LCD and keyboard.
    3. Use a hot air tool to gently heat the underside of the the area where the connector mounts. Apply flux under the connector. A soldering iron might not be sufficient for removal because it will never get the solder joints hot enough.
    4. Continue to heat the area until the solder flows and pick the connector off with a pair of tweezers.
    5. Clean and prep the surface for the new connector.
    6. There is a rectangular strip of solder for the housing to sit on. Apply a small amount solder here first along with small amounts on the pads for the pins.
    7. Apply some flux. Mount the connector and use the hot air tool again to apply heat to the surface under the connector until the solder flows and use a set of pliers to gently press the new connector to the board and fuse with the solder on the rectangular strip.
    8. Use a soldering iron to fill in the other ground holes with solder.

Using a hot air tool takes some finesse. Be sure you don't scorch the board and surrounding components.
    12-31-08 07:37 PM
    Anyone know where to get the connector? I used one of a slightly longer form factor but it works.
    12-31-08 07:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD