I just switched from my 8703e with Sprint to the 8330 Curve and I am having a little trouble leaving my trackwheel behind for the trackball. I made my left side convenience key the keypad lock and when I try to unlock the keypad it will only let me unlock it if I press the star and the green phone key. On the 8703e when I clicked the trackwheel a screen would come up with "unlock", "emergency call", and "cancel" and I would just hit the trackwheel again with "unlock" highlighted and it would unlock the keypad. On the Curve the same screen comes up but when I hit the trackball when "unlock" is highlighted it won't unlock the phone and its really annoying. Is there some setting I need to change to allow the trackball to unlock the keypad?
    05-16-08 10:08 AM
    I used to lock the keypad also but it seemed like to much trouble to unlock it each time I need the phone or received an email.
    I had trouble getting used to that as well, I use the "suspend" button on the top, this took a lil getting used to but I now I am fine with it.
    05-16-08 10:11 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry.

I agree, that message is confusing. I too hate it.

I use AutoLock a free utility that is available as an Over The Air (OTA) download from geek and proud - BlackBerry Software. It locks the keyboard after a fixed (seetable) delay after the screen blanks.

You still need to press *+Green but at least it's consistent.
    05-16-08 10:32 AM
    as shown to me here:

forget keyboard lock!@!!!!!!

just use the mute button..hold it down (top of unit)
    puts bb into sleep/holster mode.

in your profiles...u can make holster ringtones/vibe settings SAME as awake mode.....

this sleep mode locks keyboard AND also saves battery more i beleive.

to wake up just hit mute button again (pain in **** to do *+call)

enjoy
    05-16-08 11:40 AM
    Yea I just switched from the 8703e and I must admit it was a reluctant switch from the scroll wheel
    But I lock my curve by pressing Alt+ Enter and it works just like on my 8703e

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-08 07:10 PM
    I agree it's a little weird at first (I didn't come from a track wheel but still weird) But if you think about it your old phone is more presses. You said you had to press track wheel (1) scroll to unlock (2) then press the track wheel again (3). With the curve all you have to do it press * (1) then the send (2). You don't have to press anything to bring up the unlock, emer call, etc option screen...just go straight into unlocking from a blank screen. Also I like locking better than the standby mute button option for this reason: When my phone is locked/standby in my pocket I frequently take it out to check the time and if I have anything new. When locked I can just press the back button (or any button) to bring up the homescreen that tells me time, missed anything, etc. and it stays locked so I can just slip it back in my pocket w/o having to relock. W/ standby pressing a button won't light up the screen. You would have to hold the mute to take it out of standby to see time, etc then hold mute agian to put back in standby to put back in pocket. That's why I like lock better!
    Last edited by kmeyers02; 05-16-08 at 07:27 PM.
    05-16-08 07:24 PM
    I think there is another thread on this but alt enter works.on my 8330... Unless you have alternate languages set, but if not alt anter is the way to go...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-08 07:33 PM
    I am having the same problem, is this a know issue?? I read the post, and do not believe i read an answer. lots of people posted alternate methods, but is it possible to use the track ball?? Im running 4.5 and when track ball is depressed it gives the option to unlock, make emergency call and cancel, if i click emergency call, it asks if i would like to continue, but when unlock is depressed
    I get keyboard locked press * call,please help!!
    09-28-08 07:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD