Hey all,

So, I have had my Curve 8330 since March now and I am starting to get a little bored of it. Any ideas on what I can do/download that is safe and will make my BlackBerry experience better?

Thanks!
    Happy 4th of July!!!!
    07-04-09 12:09 PM
    Also, please note that I really am hesitant to download anything to my device unless it is offically released by Verizon or RIM.
    07-04-09 01:30 PM
    Also, please note that I really am hesitant to download anything to my device unless it is offically released by Verizon or RIM.
    Then that severely limits your choices doesn't it?
    07-04-09 01:37 PM
    Holy moly!

To the OP, you aren't going to find much that fits both your first requirement and your second requirement at the same time.
    07-04-09 01:39 PM
    Then that severely limits your choices doesn't it?
    True...lol Any ideas though? You are the expert!!
    07-04-09 01:39 PM
    Yeah, relax... just read threads and reviews of themes and applications you are considering putting on your BB. Look for any problems people are having with the theme/application. If the theme/app receives glowing reviews and there are no reported problems, make a full backup of your BB before loading the theme or application. If you end up having a problem after loading it, you have the backup to fall back on to restore your BB to preinstallation condition.
    07-04-09 01:49 PM
    Yeah, relax... just read threads and reviews of themes and applications you are considering putting on your BB. Look for any problems people are having with the theme/application. If the theme/app receives glowing reviews and there are no reported problems, make a full backup of your BB before loading the theme or application. If you end up having a problem after loading it, you have the backup to fall back on to restore your BB to preinstallation condition.
    Hmmm...maybe I will stay with what I have lol although I have heard some good things about this Bolt Browser? Do you know anything about that?
    07-04-09 01:52 PM
    Bolt is a great third party browser. It is fast, and the full screen HTML websites display very similar to what you would see on your desktop computer.

Come to think of it though, there was a thread yesterday discussing people having problems with the latest version of Bolt. I still have version 0.94 and like it.
    07-04-09 01:54 PM
    Bolt is a great third party browser. It is fast, and the full screen HTML websites display very similar to what you would see on your desktop computer.
    But for me, a regular BlackBerry user, who wants to stick with the official RIM/Verizon updates, I should just stick with the updates from the Device Manager for now I am guessing? I am happy with my device now, I just wanted some input from others who know about this stuff. Thanks!
    07-04-09 01:57 PM
    WeatherBerry..? useful app, i've heard.

myspace or facebook (i have neither..)

? just suggestions.
    07-04-09 02:00 PM
    I agree with xliderider. RIM encourages third-party applications through their release of the Software Development Kits (SDKs) for developers and the Plazmic applications for building themes.

I think you would really find you enjoy your BlackBerry a lot more if you took advantage of some of the fantastic themes and applications available right here on CrackBerry.

Just do as xliderider said and check the forums before you install them. They are very helpful and informative and will let you know if users are having any problems and any solutions that may have been found.

I don't install a whole lot of third-party apps either, but I do have some and have had excellent luck with them. I always do a back up before I install a new theme or app just in case so I can restore my BB if needed.
    07-04-09 02:21 PM
    Any specific third party apps you reccomend?
    07-04-09 02:26 PM
    I have and 8330, just got it, and I don't know how to download the ring tones I just got from Crackberry. They are emailed to me, but how do I make them ringtones. Please speak slowly, I am not that electronically literate. Thanks.
    07-04-09 02:36 PM
    vega-lady, welcome to Crackberry. You need to create your own thread for your question rather than hijacking someone else thread with a different question.

To the OP, it really depends upon what you are interested in.

Download the AppWorld from RIM, and you will see lots of options for software.

Are you interested in ....

Music? iHeartRadio, Slacker, Pandora are options.

Games? There are lots of free or inexpensive games.

YouTube?

Twitter?

TVGuide?

Also, go to mobile.blackberry.com from your BlackBerry Browser and you will find options.
    07-04-09 04:59 PM
    vega-lady, welcome to Crackberry. You need to create your own thread for your question rather than hijacking someone else thread with a different question.

To the OP, it really depends upon what you are interested in.

Download the AppWorld from RIM, and you will see lots of options for software.

Are you interested in ....

Music? iHeartRadio, Slacker, Pandora are options.

Games? There are lots of free or inexpensive games.

YouTube?

Twitter?

TVGuide?

Also, go to mobile.blackberry.com from your BlackBerry Browser and you will find options.
    Well, I do have AppWorld installed already. I didn't know there was a Twitter or YouTube app from RIM!?! I appreciate your help!!!
    07-04-09 07:42 PM
    Good luck.

But you need to realize that none of these applications are created by RIM. They are all third party other than AppWorld and the phone OS.
    07-04-09 09:04 PM
    Yeah, RIM is not in the business of making apps for their phone. They specialize in crearting the phone itself and providing the base operating software. Much like HP makes computers, they really don't have any software that would make your computer experience any better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-09 07:14 AM
    Yeah, RIM is not in the business of making apps for their phone. They specialize in crearting the phone itself and providing the base operating software. Much like HP makes computers, they really don't have any software that would make your computer experience any better.

Ahh, I see now. I really appreciate all of your help! For now, I will enjoy my Berry as is Thanks again!!!!
    07-05-09 07:47 AM
    An application that makes your berry better is PodTrapper. But since you are unwilling to use non-RIM created apps, you probably wouldn't want to use this. It is for downloading podcasts. I use it every night; I set it to download podcasts and in the morning, I set my berry on my desk, open a podcast and catch up with whatever I like.

There are trial versions of software for many of these apps that were mentioned to you. You might decide one day to try just one to see if it makes your berry a bit more "useful" or "exciting" to you. I was worried myself at first but now I have all sorts of programs on it; both paid and free. There are some very talented people out there helping us to enjoy our berries.

Good Luck! The people on this board are the greatest! They will help you for sure.
    07-05-09 04:20 PM
    Hello & welcome to CB. I'm not sure exactly what it is about third party apps that concerns you. You're missing out on quite a lot by limiting yourself.
    If you research apps you will easily find out if they work well & if they could be beneficial to you. I have used google as well as searching here to get info on apps that I'm interested in.
    If you were to download an app & then decide you don't want it, or it doesn't work right, you can delete it very easily, you don't necessarily need to do a backup & restore to download or delete apps.
    I think if you give it a try you may find that your BB is capable of so much more!
    Good luck!

07-05-09 09:19 PM
    I'd get bored pretty quick too with NO 3rd party apps...I don't really see what the problem is with apps...what are you afraid of exactly?

07-05-09 09:31 PM
    This has to be one of the more bizarre threads I've ever posted in. Very strange.
    07-05-09 10:00 PM
    This has to be one of the more bizarre threads I've ever posted in. Very strange.
    LOL! If you think this is bizarre you haven't spent much time in off topic have you?

07-05-09 10:49 PM
    Oh, no. I stay far, far away from crazy places like that!
    07-06-09 07:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD