So im takin the plunge and gettin an 8330. does it update to 5.0??
    01-17-10 11:13 AM
    not officaly yet. verizon has it but who knows when its comming. i would advise not upgrading to the unoffical one
    01-17-10 11:15 AM
    The 8330 is the lowest memory device that will be capable of running OS 5.0, according to RIM. You might want to consider a newer device with more memory for long term use.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-10 11:21 AM
    so if thats the case, which OS would u recommend i run?
    01-17-10 11:49 AM
    so if thats the case, which OS would u recommend i run?
    10 characters.
    01-17-10 11:51 AM
    10 characters.
    what does that mean?
    01-17-10 12:03 PM
    See how you like the 8330. It is a workhorse and it has EVERYTHING on it to run my business and life. But as the MOD (Moderator) suggested, if you plan on running more applications or wanting your device to keep up with the times, it would be better to seek another device. If you can stand a phone that does not have a camera flash, then I'd suggest you get a 8530 (Curve 2). It is already running 5.0 OS, as well as having way more memory, a trackpad as opposed to a trackball for navigating, and is WiFi enabled. I have an upgrade coming up soon, I too will be contemplating on where I will go. An upgraded device sounds nice, however, in my case, my needs are simple and I can stand to forego signing a new 2 year contract because on .175, my device does EVERYTHING I need it to do. However, things could change in a couple of months, so we will see. Good luck with your decision.
    01-17-10 12:14 PM
    what does that mean?
    There's a 10 character minimum on posts, and I didn't reach it.

I second what Kepeli said. The 8330 is a very solid device that does everything.
    Although it isn't the newest, it's probably the most stable.
    If you really want to be on the bleeding edge of software, you'll need the hardware to do so.
    8530 and Tour/Essex would be your best bets.
    01-17-10 12:29 PM
    well im buyin the phone used off a friend, so i don't really have the choice of device. it sounds like 4.5 will have to do
    01-17-10 12:34 PM
    As Kepeli pointed out, the 8330 with OS 4.5 is a very stable device. It remains to be seen how well it will perform with 5.0. But for what it is, it is a very good piece of hardware.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-10 02:11 PM
    well im buyin the phone used off a friend, so i don't really have the choice of device. it sounds like 4.5 will have to do
    If you are upgrading your device OS to 4.5.0.175, make sure to backup your device before you do because of the following:

(1) Blackberry Messenger might get deleted along with your contacts.
    (2) Your profiles might get jumbled or deleted
    (3) Your contacts and calendars might get deleted

These are known issues for .175 for Verizon customers along with the annoying chirp (a high pitched sound that once in a while plagues phone calls). To some, they get used to it, others, it's an annoyance that forced them to downgrade to .138.

Good luck otherwise!
    01-17-10 02:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD