I am currently with US Cellular, like the service/plan ok, no real complaints. I have never had a smartphone but plan on buying my first this month. If I stick with US Cellular, it will be the Curve.

My wife can get me a decent discount with Verizon through her work, so I could break away and go with Verizon/Storm. She is happy with US Cellular and is not wanting to leave. If I go to Verizon, we would have separate plans and I guess we would need to restructure her plan (since we have a family plan currently).

I am having trouble making the call. What do you all think? Advise me.

Thanks.
    12-04-08 07:38 AM
    well..

to be honest I had us cellular for a long time

I had verizon for probably the longest out of any of them

through the years it was
    sprint pcs, cingular, then at&t

with some verizon action in there

and before all the cellular one which is now us cellular

then before I went back to verizon after leaving for a bit I was sitting on us cellular for a couple years..

let me tell you verizon's network for traveling is far superior in every aspect the coverage in the midwest wasn't bad on us cellular but when I went out west on trips I had major problems with connecting to a network..

This could be fixed by now

but I still prefer verizon plus there customer service.

Its your choice you could also try a test drive to see if you like it.
    12-04-08 07:45 AM
    I almost never travel. None for work, just the occasional (rare) weekend trip and a week vacation somewhere once a year. I should have mentioned that.

I guess I need to hear some feedback on whether the Storm would warrant a move over the Curve. I mean obviously it's a better/newer/cooler phone but is it that much better?
    12-04-08 08:01 AM
    I am currently with US Cellular, like the service/plan ok, no real complaints. I have never had a smartphone but plan on buying my first this month. If I stick with US Cellular, it will be the Curve.

My wife can get me a decent discount with Verizon through her work, so I could break away and go with Verizon/Storm. She is happy with US Cellular and is not wanting to leave. If I go to Verizon, we would have separate plans and I guess we would need to restructure her plan (since we have a family plan currently).

I am having trouble making the call. What do you all think? Advise me.

Thanks.
    I am with uscc and have a curve I would stick with uscc don't know what the other guy was talking about uscc has great service and the curve is a solid phone I have no problems the storm would be nice but to many problems right now it will be a great device and I'm not a storm hater I would just wait we will probley get it in a year or so and by then everything will be worked out with all the bugs...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-08 08:10 AM
    I would Def. go with the STORM....
    the curve is really solid and great smart phone but in the BB world its starting to age!
    12-04-08 08:13 AM
    If it's going to cost you quite a bit having different accounts, I would stick with the same account and go with the Curve. I have the Cuve and it gets the job done. The Storm looks nice and is the latest thing out, but I'd rather stick with my Curve for now. I can type faster on my Curve, compared to the Storm. I can also scroll and type with my Curve in one hand. Great if I'm out drinking a soda or eating on the go. Can't do that with the Storm using the full qwerty keyboard in lanscape mode. You have to use both hands. It probably can be done, but it will not be comfortable and probably difficult to do.
    12-04-08 08:57 AM
    Do you want a touchscreen device or a tactile QWERTY device? That will answer your question

12-04-08 09:02 AM
    I went with the Curve, got it at lunch. Thanks for the opinions guys.

Ok, now what cool things do I need to add/load/download???

I use gmail almost exclusively, but also Tasks in Outlook at work some too.
    12-04-08 12:16 PM
    Congrats u will be happy with it!

12-04-08 05:40 PM

the curve should do every thing that you want to do. where ever us cellular has coverage they are usually as good or better than the other carriers and i don't think that anyone will beat them in a rural area.
    12-04-08 10:43 PM

Congrats, I love my Curve and will only switch to the Storm if it's given to me for free (then I'll unlock it) or if it gets really cheap when T-Mobile offers it.

In any case, set up a new email account with your gmail settings (remember that gmail requires SSL on incoming and outgoing!). I don't currently sync any outlook tasks, as I always enter mine into the tasks application throughout the day and never open outlook at home besides checking email. But you could sync them if you'd like. Also remember, when you're in the menu screen (that shows all your apps) you can menu click on any app and choose "move", then move that app to the beginning of the list so that it shows on your home screen (unless you have a "today" theme that shows your call log, etc instead of icons).

Remember, CrackBerry is now your best friend. Browse the forums for your model and be amazed at what it can do!
    12-04-08 10:58 PM
    Congrats on your new Curve. Hope you enjoy it. I truly enjoy mine.

12-04-08 11:04 PM
    I have e-mail set up through gmail now using IMAP. It's working pretty well but I got a few facebook e-mails that did not come through to the Curve. Not sure there. Also, e-mails show up in my e-mail icon, and in my messages icon for some reason. Is this normal or do I have something wrong? I did separate my texts into a new folder.

Do I need to update the software? I have v4.3.0.124 (platform 3.1.0.71)

Also, what about the Opera Mini browser. I have heard great things about it. It this the browser I need to be using?

Thanks again everyone.
    12-05-08 07:56 AM
    Yes update it should have came updated it should have platform 3.2.0.48. And ur os should be 4.5.0.66. And yes opera mini is great I have it on my curve when u update ur phone I would probley call uscc and have them walk u through it cuz u have never done it before just to be safe so everything works out right

12-05-08 08:04 AM
    Hey, guys - great thread. I am a Verizon Customer and have been going back and forth on the Curve vs the Storm. After roughly a week and a half of no sleep, I've decided to trade in my current phone this afternoon for the Curve. But, I do have one question - will the Opera work with Verizon Curve 8330? The Opera site only had the 8300 listed.....
    12-05-08 09:19 AM
    Congrats on the curve!!!!!

12-05-08 09:39 AM
    Curve is definitely the way to go in my opinion.
    12-05-08 10:27 AM
    Can Opera Mini be downloaded/installed directly from the BB browser?

Also, why does my mail show up in my "e-mail" and "messages"? Can this be changed?
    12-05-08 12:10 PM
    click on messages --> options --> general options --> sms and email inboxes, change that to seperate.. then go back on your homescreen and hide the regular messages.. all sms and mms will show up in the new sms/mms box and emails with show up in the emails
    12-05-08 12:20 PM
    I have them separated. How do I "hide the regular messages"?
    12-05-08 12:47 PM
    scroll on it then hit the blackberry button and hit hide
    12-05-08 01:28 PM
    Got it, thanks.
    12-05-08 02:39 PM
    Opera is fantastic but it can't save images yet. I use it just as much as the bb browser with os 4.5 and I love both. I use bb browser with crackberry.

12-05-08 04:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD