Hi,

I have the Curve for about 4 months. Lately the phone's acting weird. It lets me make calls and all of a sudden during the call, it turns itself off and the light is red at the top of the screen. Then the little hourglass comes on and stays on for anywhere from 1-5 mins before the BB screen comes on the it Verifys the Security software. This is getting annoying as I can not talk to anyone for very long before it does this.

Has anyone experienced this problem?

Thx in advance for any pointers.

Sherri-Lynn
    12-03-09 02:46 PM
    Updating the 8330 to OS 4.5.0.175 resolves most of the problems such as sluggishness, SD read/write speeds, and call quality.

The 4.5.0.175 OS can be found here: Link
    12-03-09 02:55 PM
    My phone has v4.5.1.127 on it now. Is that different from the one you are suggesting? And does updating it erase the info and programs that I have on the device?
    12-03-09 03:03 PM
    Have you checked your memory? Options>status. Do you do regular battery pulls? That helps keep your memory optomized. Too many apps will keep your phone bogged down. Leave enough free memory for your phone to operate properly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-09 04:29 PM
    My phone has v4.5.1.127 on it now. Is that different from the one you are suggesting? And does updating it erase the info and programs that I have on the device?
    4.5.0.127 is an aged version of the BlackBerry OS, so the update to 4.5.0.175 would do you good. As for the deletion of apps and anything else stored on the device, you can choose to backup all that information before the OS update takes place. The download was intended for a different carrier, so you will need to know your way about certain files and folders to make some slight changes. The update can take around 30 minutes to 45 minutes depending on how much stuff you have on the phone.

Everyone on this site has their own opinion in regards to what version of BB OS works for them. .175 is a FACTORY non-BETA OS, so you're best bet is to to use an official version that will give you less headaches. Others will tell you to try a hybrid, but I see them being for advanced users that expect bugs to occur. I like .175 because of the following:

1. It's stable no matter what app I use on it.
    2. It's official, not a beta.
    3. It improved read/write speeds on my SDHC MiniSD cards.
    4. Call quality improved.
    5. Faster radio (faster Internet)

In the end, the decision is up to you, but I would recommend dumping .127 for something newer.
    Last edited by xtort; 12-03-09 at 05:06 PM.
    12-03-09 05:02 PM
    how do I back up all my apps? and make it work for my phone? I am pretty new to all this.

How much memory should you have available?
    12-03-09 05:37 PM
    1. Download the software from the Link provided in my second post.
    2. Remove all BlackBerry software through Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features.
    3. Install the software that you downloaded.
    4. Go into C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader and delete "vendor.xml".
    5. Plug the BlackBerry into any USB port and wait for Windows to detect it.
    6. Run Loader.exe in the same folder that you deleted vendor.xml from. Follow the prompts given.
    12-03-09 05:52 PM
    I think reading the BB101 tips and tricks and also the how to guide on memory optimization would be very helpful for you and answer a lot of your questions and solve most of the issues you are having with your phone.

12-04-09 01:56 PM
    I am running .175 on my 8330 and yesterday it started rebooting itself. It did it once yesterday when I set my phone on my bed then twice today, once when I set it on a desk and once after I ended a call.

12-04-09 07:32 PM
    I am running .175 on my 8330 and yesterday it started rebooting itself. It did it once yesterday when I set my phone on my bed then twice today, once when I set it on a desk and once after I ended a call.

Random reboots are usually caused by low memory. Check out this thread. http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    12-04-09 07:40 PM
    Ok.. I deleted alot of programs and it says 19334655 bytes free files but the phone still turns off mid call and the light remains lit up red at the top. Then the hourglass stays on the screen for awhile before it turns on. the other day when it did it it came up with an error that said JVM Error 545 Incompatable or corrupt filesystem and I selected reset. But today it is doing the same thing by turning off about 6 mins into a call. I have no idea how to reinstall a OS and am worried about doing that as I don't know if that means that I will lose all my info and a couple of themes I dl'd. I really don't want to lose what I have on there especially the saved texted messages.
    Last edited by bb_girl13; 12-04-09 at 10:27 PM.
    12-04-09 10:15 PM
    Ok.. I deleted alot of programs and it says19334655 bytes free files but the phone still turns off mid call and the light remains lit up red at the top. Then the hourglass stays on the screen for awhile before it turns on. the other day when it did it it came up with an error that said JVM Error 545 Incompatable or corrupt filesystem and I selected reset. But today it is doing the same thing by turning off about 6 mins into a call.
    What is your battery indicator showing before you start these calls?
    The process you're describing, red light, hour glass, is a typical reboot of a blackberry phone. So it's rebooting for some reason. Couild be a low battery, too many applications and not enough free memory, or could even be a loose or poor battery connection.... or other things.
    12-04-09 10:27 PM
    Ok.. I deleted alot of programs and it says 19334655 bytes free files but the phone still turns off mid call and the light remains lit up red at the top. Then the hourglass stays on the screen for awhile before it turns on. the other day when it did it it came up with an error that said JVM Error 545 Incompatable or corrupt filesystem and I selected reset. But today it is doing the same thing by turning off about 6 mins into a call. I have no idea how to reinstall a OS and am worried about doing that as I don't know if that means that I will lose all my info and a couple of themes I dl'd. I really don't want to lose what I have on there especially the saved texted messages.
    if you've got a memory card in it, try swapping it or removing it for a bit. Could be corrupt files on it. If you do not have a 2nd one and need to put it back in, make sure the connections are clean and dust/dirt free and be sure to put it back in securely.
    12-04-09 10:29 PM
    My battery was at 70% it said. I will try taking out the memory card and see how that goes. And I do not have alot of apps on the phone anymore. I erased alot of what I had on there. So don't think it has to do with apps but am not sure. How much memory should you have free for it to run properly?
    12-04-09 10:32 PM
    A corrupted or encrypted file may be on your media card. A member of one of our groups sent out a picture yesterday, and shortly thereafter, several of our devices began crashing. Including mine.

I pulled my media card, replaced it with my backup, rebooted my Curve, and then put the screwy card in and deleted the offending file.

Mine has stabilized again, and I locked down the save pictures option on BBM.

12-04-09 11:28 PM
    removed the memory card and tried it without one in the BB. After 13 mins it turned itself off with the red light on. When it turned back on it said JVM Error 545 again. So I selected reset again. This is getting so frustrating! Please help me..
    Last edited by bb_girl13; 12-04-09 at 11:44 PM.
    12-04-09 11:33 PM
    JVM 545 is a corrupted or incompatible file in your OS. You need to go and either update or reload your OS on the device.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/prop...ocedure-53359/

There are several newer OSes available, choose one and go with it, the newer ones will improve things for you, to boot.

Last edited by BergerKing; 12-05-09 at 12:21 AM.
    12-05-09 12:18 AM
    Does that erase everything I have on my BB. Like themes, texts I have saved and a few programs I bought when I first got the BB?

12-05-09 12:31 AM
    Berger King do you know where I can get the 4.5 OS for my curve so I can try reloading the OS? I am on the MTS network on Manitoba, Canada. Not sure if that matters.
    12-05-09 11:02 AM
    12-05-09 11:19 AM
    Does it matter that that says it is for sprint? And what version of 4.5 is that dl? Another quick question. I have noticed that when I am making a call the upload/download arrow remains on constantly during the call. Doesn't flicker or anything just remains there. Is that normal?
    Last edited by bb_girl13; 12-05-09 at 04:53 PM.
    12-05-09 11:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD