Hello all this is my first time posting on this site, but I have been reading here for the past few months. I have an 8320 and I use Opera Mini as my browser. I was wondering how i can go about not getting charged by my wireless company for internet charges. I want to strictly use wi-fi and not wireless. I noticed sometimes when I open Opera Mini it wants to use the WAP service instead of wi-fi. Is there a service pack that I can delete to completely remove wap internet charges.
    11-23-08 10:47 PM
    11-23-08 10:53 PM
    11-23-08 11:06 PM
    I read through the guide and didnt find the answer. Maybe someone could give just give me a straight up answer. I dont want to accidently use Opera Mini and incur data charges, is there any way to go about disabling wap browsing without calling my carrier.
    11-23-08 11:16 PM
    you could turn off the network radio and just leave wifi on
    11-23-08 11:44 PM
    But then I wouldnt be able to make or receive calls.
    11-23-08 11:59 PM
    Next, we will fine tune some other connection properties. Navigate to Home Screen > Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options. Under 'Connection Preference' make sure you have 'WiFi preferred' selected.

This dictates what connection your device will choose, depending on availability. For example, if the WiFi is turned on and you enter one of your WiFi hotspots (which you added in Step 1) then your device will automatically connect and use that connection as the default connection (making UMA calls).
    (Please note, this does not automatically switch your browser configuration to connect between EDGE/WiFi. The WiFi preferred only affects the mobile network connection of your device. You will need to manually change from 'WiFi browser' to 'Internet' browser... and vise versa)

You can change this setting to whatever you may desire... and the options are self-explanatory:

* Mobile Network Only -- Will not use the WiFi connection to make any calls (browsing still available)
    * Mobile Network Preferred -- will only use WiFi when the Mobile Network is unavailable (in poor service areas)
    * WiFi Only -- Will only make UMA calls over WiFi, even if mobile network is available
    * WiFi Preferred -- will make UMA calls when a WiFi network is available, mobile network if not available

Finally, navigate to Home > Menu > Manage Connections > WiFi Options.
    This menu will display the current WiFi network you are connected to, along with all of your saved WiFi profiles. From here, you can manage your WiFi networks and remove unused connections. You can also specify if you want the device to auto-connect or manually connect to networks.

To edit Saved WiFi Profiles : highlight the desired network and hit Menu > Edit. You are able to change the name, security type, etc... (in case you ever make a change in your router configuration!)
    Complete Wifi Guide

And BTW, that's for the BB browser. I don't know that Opera Mini will work over wifi. And there's no way to tell either. In the BB browser, the Wifi logo will be b/w.
    Last edited by sunkast; 11-24-08 at 12:27 AM.
    11-24-08 12:23 AM
    I dont think this is answering my question. Im talking about if Im using Opera Mini Browser and I go to browse the internet, if there is no wifi connection i do not want it to find the page.
    11-24-08 12:30 AM
    opera will use data if no wifi connection is present
    11-24-08 12:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD