hi all,
    i got my 8320 a few days ago and im loving it. i must say,this forum is excellent and has helped me out a lot so far. thx to all that contribute.

so, my curve is a few days old...its unlocked and im using it on rogers network in canada. i dont have a data plan at the moment, i will soon but thats not the point.

here are my issues:
    at home i have a linksys WRT54GS ver6 router(with newest firmware). my 8320 doesn't detect it when i scan for networks. my brothers 8320 also cannot detect it. my laptop or other peoples laptop or the xbox 360 can detect, connect and use the wifi just fine. my settings are wpa personal. mac filtering off.

i went to my friends house and he has a linksys WRT54G ver 6 router. my 8320 can detect his router but i either get the w010 error or unable to find requested server. btw, my friends router is also using wpa personal.

i went to a nearby mcdonalds and i have the issue as when i go to my friends house.

are there any settings i need to change in my 8320?
    is there anything i need to change in my router settings.

im guessing since it found my friends router and the one at mcdonalds that there is just some setting i need to change in my router.
    about it not connecting or being able to load websites... thats another story

any help at all will be glady appreciated.
    Last edited by avmsam; 03-21-08 at 08:38 AM.
    03-20-08 10:31 PM
    Try using WEP instead of WPA.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-08 05:31 AM
    i tried changing the security, i even took off security and it made no difference. the issue is that the phone doesn't even see the router when i do a scan.
    03-21-08 10:13 AM
    is the router broadcasting the SSID? If you know what it should be broadcasting, why don't you try added the network manually onto your phone?
    03-21-08 10:28 AM
    is the router broadcasting the SSID? If you know what it should be broadcasting, why don't you try added the network manually onto your phone?
    ahh, good point, i will try adding it manually. thx
    03-21-08 10:52 AM
    i tried adding manually, it did not connect. it gave me W010 error
    03-21-08 11:01 AM
    I have a WRT54GS ver7 and mine connected immdiately. Do you have MAC filtering enabled? If so your device neeeds to be added manually.

If all else fails reset to factory and try it anew. That router is pretty compatible woth almost everything so I imageine your assumption that a setting is wrong is correct.
    03-21-08 11:05 AM
    I have a WRT54GS ver7 and mine connected immdiately. Do you have MAC filtering enabled? If so your device neeeds to be added manually.

If all else fails reset to factory and try it anew. That router is pretty compatible woth almost everything so I imageine your assumption that a setting is wrong is correct.
    mac filtering is off, but im gonna reset it and see what happens.
    03-21-08 11:08 AM
    Just to note I use WPA-TKIP on my GS. BB 8320 works perfectly as does my latop, PS3, and PSP.
    03-21-08 11:27 AM
    BlackBerry Search Results

W010 - Wi-Fi Connection Failed
    The BlackBerry smartphone is not in range of the Wi-Fi network, the Wi-Fi network signal is weak, or the BlackBerry smartphone has incorrect security settings for the Wi-Fi network.
    That has two causes, signal strength and security. My guess would be security.

Have you found the Survey Tool? It is an option under WiFi Diagnostics. It will show you details on any signal in range.

If you are in a poor signal area, move around until you have a stronger signal. Close to the source, you will see -35 dBm or so, moving away you can get a reliable connections into the -80dBm range.

Distant connections are detectable, but you can't make the connection.

Now for security. Programming a Router is a complex job. I would suggest starting with a full reset. Follow the initial setup instructions and it will default to Open.

Your 'berry should now connect and get an IP address. Once you have that working, you can change the security setting to your hearts content.
    03-21-08 11:40 AM
    i backed up my router settings, reset the router, then did a bettery pull on the 8320 and it detected the router just fine. it connected and all is well.

so after the router was reset i didn't modify any settings in the router and everything worked fine. just to test something i restored the backup of my earlier settings and once i did that the phone couldn't detect the router again. so i guess there was some setting i had in the router before that was causing the issue.

so now im gonna reset the router again and then start from fresh with blank settings and configure it just the way i like it.

thx for all the help. if while im configuring the router i realize that theres one particular setting that causes the issue i will post it so others will know.
    03-21-08 11:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD