I was discussing the reboot problem with the RIM people of Friday and I was scanning through the forums here at the same time. I saw this posting and, out of curiousity, I asked him about it.

As I thought, the inter-access point handover option has nothing whatsoever to do with EDGE/WIFI switching. It is giving permission for the BB to change access points within the same wifi system. If you have only one router or access point, this will do nothing for you.
    11-24-08 11:01 AM
    My method of testing did change. So perhaps that is why I didn't get a drop call. My previous method of testing was to either unplug my router or turn off my wifi during a call which would result in a drop call. My new method of testing is to walk out of range, which has proven success the 1 time I have tried it so far.
    11-24-08 12:21 PM
    I was discussing the reboot problem with the RIM people of Friday and I was scanning through the forums here at the same time. I saw this posting and, out of curiousity, I asked him about it.

As I thought, the inter-access point handover option has nothing whatsoever to do with EDGE/WIFI switching. It is giving permission for the BB to change access points within the same wifi system. If you have only one router or access point, this will do nothing for you.
    This is interesting indeed. However, I don't know if it is purely coincidence, but I really have not had the problem of failed calls (lost connections) since changing my settings. It has been a dramatic improvement. I guess I will cross my fingers that it holds.

Thanks for your investigative work! That's what is so cool about Crackberry... it is my BB University!
    11-24-08 02:43 PM
    I have this setting enabled for both my 'work' and 'home' profiles (You will note that it has to be set for each). I do this because I have two access points at home and there are 5 or 6 at work. Until I did this, it would not switch while I was wandering around. It does this pretty well, my only complaint being that it waits too long, the signal can get pretty shaky, before switching to the other AP, even if you are standing right next to it.

My experience with switching from UMA to EDGE during a call is limited, but uniform. Never works. But, since I rarely do this and I don't pay for the @home service (it seems that a lot of people get a kick out of starting a call with UMA and switching to EDGE and talking all day since it is thus free), I don't really care.
    11-24-08 02:57 PM
    I had this problem when I first got my phone and when I talked to tmo, they set up my 911 address for me and after that, the problem was solved and if I'm on a call on wi-fi and it switches to edge, it doesn't drop calls. When I had the problem is was when I had os 4.2 and with 4.5, it's even less of a problem. Hope this helps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-08 03:13 PM
    Well, I have had incredible success since following "TheBronx" suggestion:

Manage Connections ---> Wi-Fi Options ---> highlight connection, menu key, edit. Place a check mark in Allow inter-access point handover.

From that point on I haven't had any trouble whatsoever, and I was getting pretty frustrated...
    I've done this and have been noticing a huuge difference today. I can never stay on a call, in my living room, for more than 5 minutes without it dropping on me. Today I have been using my phone like crazy. Seems like this suggestion worked for me. Thanks
    11-24-08 03:15 PM
    I'm new to the Crackberry forums. I just got a new Pearl Flip 8220 and love it! But I was having these same problems with switching from uma to edge, so was my mother-in-law who got the same phone. It was getting quite frustrating.

GOOD NEWS!!! For my phone there's a fix! I'm now not dropping any of my calls when I switch from edge to uma or vice versa. pltaylor, it was your suggestion that fixed it on my phone. I've tried in various networks and APs, and it seems to work everywhere 100% now!

For those who don't remember what pltaylor said to do, here it is:

On my phone I go to "Manage Connections" then "Wi-Fi Options" then you need to select your network and hit the options button on your phone, then click "Edit" and there's a checkbox for "Allow Inter-access point handover". Tick that box and save it. Do that for every network on your profile list if there's more than one that you connect to.

Like I said, I was getting 100% dropped calls before this. Now that I made this change, I've got absolutely no dropped calls! I hope this works for other people. Thanks for the tip pltaylor!!! I'm now a happy camper!

Edit: That's interesting that RIM said that the setting doesn't change anything to do with UMA/EDGE because like many others, this has been a 100% fix for me. Ever since I changed this setting a week ago, it's fixed--absolutely NO CALLS dropped anymore. So to everyone else still having the problem--make sure you change that setting anyway, then test it. Should fix it.
    Last edited by Tristar; 01-09-09 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Response to jgbrock
    01-09-09 12:44 PM
    I'm new to the Crackberry forums. I just got a new Pearl Flip 8220 and love it! But I was having these same problems with switching from uma to edge, so was my mother-in-law who got the same phone. It was getting quite frustrating.

GOOD NEWS!!! For my phone there's a fix! I'm now not dropping any of my calls when I switch from edge to uma or vice versa. pltaylor, it was your suggestion that fixed it on my phone. I've tried in various networks and APs, and it seems to work everywhere 100% now!

For those who don't remember what pltaylor said to do, here it is:

On my phone I go to "Manage Connections" then "Wi-Fi Options" then you need to select your network and hit the options button on your phone, then click "Edit" and there's a checkbox for "Allow Inter-access point handover". Tick that box and save it. Do that for every network on your profile list if there's more than one that you connect to.

Like I said, I was getting 100% dropped calls before this. Now that I made this change, I've got absolutely no dropped calls! I hope this works for other people. Thanks for the tip pltaylor!!! I'm now a happy camper!

Edit: That's interesting that RIM said that the setting doesn't change anything to do with UMA/EDGE because like many others, this has been a 100% fix for me. Ever since I changed this setting a week ago, it's fixed--absolutely NO CALLS dropped anymore. So to everyone else still having the problem--make sure you change that setting anyway, then test it. Should fix it.
    For what it's worth, I should alert you to what happened to me when I made this switch and checked the "Allow inter-acess handover." Immediately I experienced failed calls from that point on. I ended up having to delete my wireless connection and re-establish my wifi connection. I also went in and made sure that the box was unchecked.

I would advise against changing this setting as it is probably not a universal fix. Just thought I would share...
    01-09-09 03:25 PM
    I was having the same problem but I checked Allow interaccess point handover and it seems to have fixed the problem. I made a call on UMA while in my house, then walked out of range and it switched to EDGE without dropping the call. One thing I noticed, however, was that when I walked back into Wifi range while still on the call, it didnt switch back to UMA, it stayed on EDGE until the call was disconnected. Not a big deal though.
    01-09-09 03:51 PM
    I am under the impression that when you walk outside for example and the phone notices that the UMA signal is dropping that it will begin switching over to EDGE. If you are indoors right next to your router with a strong signal the phone does not communicate with the Cell tower, therefore unplugging your router to test the connection kills your phone call,, Just my 2 cents
    02-01-09 01:49 AM
    If you are indoors right next to your router with a strong signal the phone does not communicate with the Cell tower, therefore unplugging your router to test the connection kills your phone call,, Just my 2 cents
    I have used this method in the past and wanted to confirm this is NOT the way to test a handover. The correct way is to walk out of distance from your router. Unplugging it during a call will result in a drop call.
    02-01-09 02:43 AM
    I had this problem too and when I called Tmobile, they told me to contact my DSL carrier and have them up the "voice settings" on my dsl. I'm not sure what that means. But I'm trying the suggestion above regarding the "allow interaccess". I hope this works as it has for most of you.
    02-01-09 03:03 AM
    new to BB, found CrackBerry while searching for threads on this very problem. Had all the same quirks as prev posters, tried all the same fixes. Still dropped the wi-fi and/or would bounce around betw connection types constantly. Finally figured out that if I turn off the auto-bluetooth it works fine, strong signal, never drops. Turned bluetooth back on and the same problems again. I'm assuming that the wireless searching/maintaining the BT is somehow getting in the way of the network signal(s). Anyhow, this is working for me. BTW I prev did the checkbox for the handover thing with no improvement at all. Now I just need to remember to turn the BT on when I get in the car.
    03-06-09 05:25 PM
    I was on what was going to be a LONG call with Cisco the other day. I transferred from my desk to BB so I could run and get lunch. The UMA->EDGE handoff worked great. I went to Subway, came back, and the EDGE->UMA was seamless.

I think it may have to do with the fact some people are testing by unplugging their WAP. If you gradually leave an area it seems to be more robust than if you just turn off the WAP.
    03-06-09 07:26 PM
    Its hard to really say what's causing the issue for any 1 person. Sometimes it hands off great, sometimes I get dropped calls.

I think 2 major factors would be your router and how far its signal extends, as well as how good the cell tower coverage is in your area.

From my understanding of how it works, a router with a long signal range and 2+bars cell coverage would be ideal conditions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-09 12:19 PM
    The built in diagnostics are useful for troubleshooting Wifi issues.

Connections / Wifi Options. Menu / Wifi Diagnostics.

Scroll down to UMA and confirm your connection.

At the bottom, look for Cell handover to UMA failure: and Cell rove in failure. They should be zero.
    03-07-09 12:59 PM
    I also tried the wifi profile setting and it also worked 100% for 15 tries in a row. Before this it did not hand off ever.

I also noticed that it will hand off to EDGE but will not hand back to UMA.

What an awesome tweak! Thank you!
    03-08-09 09:57 PM
    I have no problems going from Edge to UMA.. But from UMA to edge is 100% drop.
    Yeah that happens to me too.

Its fine from EDGE to UMA but when it goes back to EDGE it says Call Failed :|
    03-08-09 10:18 PM
    Im home most of the day also, I never turn on my wifi at all, no need to when I have the BB data plan which allows for all that.

Go to options, advanced options, TCP, and make sure you have wap.voicestream.com as the APN, no user name or password..

What technically does this setting do? Mine is completely blank as of right now. Thanks.
    03-08-09 10:19 PM
    For what it's worth. I was having the same problems as I was driving away from Wi Fi locations. I tested the phone just walking slowly away from the wi fi connection and it transitioned fine from uma to edge. I did this with both the box checked and unchecked. This problem also started when I perfromed the software upgrade and I've only had the curve and pearl for less than two weeks.
    03-21-09 02:57 PM
    new to BB, found CrackBerry while searching for threads on this very problem. Had all the same quirks as prev posters, tried all the same fixes. Still dropped the wi-fi and/or would bounce around betw connection types constantly. Finally figured out that if I turn off the auto-bluetooth it works fine, strong signal, never drops. Turned bluetooth back on and the same problems again. I'm assuming that the wireless searching/maintaining the BT is somehow getting in the way of the network signal(s). Anyhow, this is working for me. BTW I prev did the checkbox for the handover thing with no improvement at all. Now I just need to remember to turn the BT on when I get in the car.
    Not sure what you mean exactly regarding 'auto-bluetooth'. I have noticed poorer voice quality when using bluetooth together with UMA vs holding the phone to my ear and using UMA. Is this what you mean? UMA works better without bluetooth earpiece?

By the way, the fix prescribed here worked for me after months of dropped calls on UMA.
    05-10-09 12:36 AM
    I use wifi all the time at home since I don't have a data plan. I use tmobile and have the curve 8320. I have noticed that every time I'm on wifi and i step away from the range of the wifi, the call gets dropped. I'm assuming it's so because it's switching from "uma" to "edge". I guess it's kind of like when you're using a laptop and it sometimes loses connection to the internet and during the process of reconnecting to the available network(uma), it changes to the next available network(edge)
    10-07-09 04:36 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD