Hey all...

Ok so just some pre-read info;

I am using an unlocked 8320 with At&t with NO DATA; I know...OMG I am one of those...one of those evil BB users who doesn't have a data plan...now before you guys all go screaming and crying about, "OMG how could you not have a data plan with a BB, that just doesnt make sense, blah blah blah..."

- Let me explain, first off...I have a computer with WiFi around me very, very often...when Im at work (law office), we do not have our computers hooked up to the internet, buut there is WiFi available, so for the most part having the WiFi 8320 enables me to check my email and be on JiveTalk and pretty much allow me to do everything I need to do..I just cant justify $30 extra a month so I can check my email at all times...

So after some intensive reading on here about the 8320 and WiFi and Google Maps and whatnot...I started hearing about people on T-Mo adding the BB data plans and the removing a day later in order to have the service books on their device hoping it would allow GMaps to work over WiFi.

This is what I just got done trying with At&t. As far as I know, At&t does not have any BB Enabler Feature like T-Mo and MMS will not work without a data plan. The T-Mo BB Enabler Feature, as far as I know will allow MMS with no BB data on T-Mo.

I had the BB data plan added and received all the service books and all these weird features I never saw before all of sudden were on my home screen (TeleNav, MediaNet, Email Set-Up...) and the awesome "EDGE" popped up...I quickly DL'ed Google Maps and enjoyed myself for a few hours...

Everything was working fine...and now it was about time to do the deed...just to compare, the EDGE service is much, much slower than my WiFi..anyway...I called At&t and had them remove the BB Data Plan and also block the pay-per use internet known as the "WIX BLOCK" - I had this before, and this ensures I will not connect to anything unless I am using WiFi , so I do not incur crazy data charges...

With that said, I pulled the battery and ...nothing works. Google maps keeps a small map of where it was last and you can zoom, sort of...but its not live GPS and basically, nothing loads...I was very disappointed, but also wondered; because I read about T-Mo users doing the same exact thing and having GMaps work...perhaps they werent aware and the few people that did this were actually being charged per-use and ended up having a crazy bill but didnt know it at the time.

But nonetheless...it doesnt work...not with At&t at least...unless I am doing something wrong.

So my question to all of you...because today I was playing with a friends Ipod Touch;

HOW COME GOOGLE MAPS WORK ON AN IPOD TOUCH; OVER WiFi - But will not on a BB???

Anyway, just wanted to save some At&t peoples time if they were thinking about trying this....
    Last edited by -sandman-; 04-03-08 at 09:21 PM.
    04-03-08 09:16 PM
    I kind of figured that would be the outcome. Hopefully Google will add that functionality to the BB version of GM.
    04-03-08 09:23 PM
    I kind of figured that would be the outcome. Hopefully Google will add that functionality to the BB version of GM.
    Is that something that is actually in the works...?
    04-03-08 09:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD