My plan is up today and I was looking at the Blackberry curve 8320 from T-Mobile. Never had a smart phone before. I was wondering about applications (web browsers, IM, etc.) for the phone. Which ones are good and do you have to pay for certain ones and how much? Any help would be great. Thanks!
    06-30-08 06:55 PM
    You may want to look for JiveTalk for I'm purposes, there's a free trial and you must purchase it after. You may also like opera-mini (free). Honestly, there are tons of applications out there, look into the '3rd party software' section of the forum.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-08 07:05 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

The 8320 is a jewel. It comes with a very adequate Browser and fantastic email support.

The universe of third party software is huge and growing every day.

If you have a need, there will be a product to meet the need. Prices range from a couple bucks to a hundred for the major applications.
    06-30-08 08:06 PM
    Thanks guys. How much is JiveTalk? Are these monthly payments or a one time fee?
    06-30-08 09:16 PM
    I've used Yahoo IM for years and I have a ton of contacts there, so that is the one I use. My 8330 supports this very well. It's nearly as easy to use Yahoo IM on my BB as it is on my laptop or home computer.

My favorite browser is Opera Mini. It's really nice, much better than the proprietary BB browser. Hopefully that will change soon.
    06-30-08 09:19 PM
    jive talk isnt needed as Curve has all IM clients on it already and can be open and logged in at all times, plus with BB BIS IM is unlimited!
    06-30-08 09:47 PM
    I will say that I love the 8320 because it actually has access and service books for all the major IM programs (AIM, MSN, Yahoo!, ICQ and gTalk). The only down side is that AIM only allows 30 buddies, however with the new 4.5 AIM has been upgraded to 2.0 (woohoo). If you can wait out until the official 4.5 (or go the beta/ non US carrier upgrades route) then you won't actually need to buy an all in one IM-client (ie JiveTalk, Webmessenger, etc).

Let us know if or when you get the Curve...you're going to LOVE IT!!!!

06-30-08 09:52 PM
    Thanks again guys! I only use aol IM, so I don't think I would need an all in one program. If I have time this week I might go shopping around. T-Mobile seems to have the cheapest plan (1000min unlimited txt, im, data) for 60 bucks. Hows the coverage? I always had Verizon and had service everywhere my friends didn't, who had AT&T.
    06-30-08 10:00 PM
    JiveTalk has an advantage... as it can consolidate all IM apps into one. No limit on buddies... and you can use with no data plan over WiFi
    06-30-08 10:01 PM
    Thanks again guys! I only use aol IM, so I don't think I would need an all in one program. If I have time this week I might go shopping around. T-Mobile seems to have the cheapest plan (1000min unlimited txt, im, data) for 60 bucks. Hows the coverage? I always had Verizon and had service everywhere my friends didn't, who had AT&T.
    Wow, are you sure about that plan? BlackBerry Minutes & Mail 1000 Unlimited Unlimited $59.99. And on top of that you have to add 14.99 for unlimited text.
    06-30-08 11:44 PM
    Wow, are you sure about that plan? BlackBerry Minutes & Mail 1000 Unlimited Unlimited $59.99. And on top of that you have to add 14.99 for unlimited text.
    Um...the BlackBerry Minutes and Mail plan already comes with unlimited text messages:

T-Mobile Minutes & Mail Rate Plan

You don't need to get the $15 unlimited text messages bucket. I should know--I'm on this plan myself.

--Roxie
    Last edited by RoxieRavenclaw; 07-01-08 at 12:03 AM.
    07-01-08 12:01 AM
    Um...the BlackBerry Minutes and Mail plan already comes with unlimited text messages:

You don't need to get the $15 unlimited text messages bucket. I should know--I'm on this plan myself.

--Roxie
    OMFG, are you serious? I've been paying for text msg even with the BB plan. Damn tmobile ppl. They don't even tell me these things.
    07-01-08 12:06 AM
    Haha, yea, I couldn't believe the price either when I saw it. Everywhere else you go you have to add the txt or data and it comes out to 75+ a month.
    07-01-08 05:43 AM
    Whatevr you choose you will be happy with the curve I love both of mine.
    07-01-08 05:53 AM
    So is there an IM service, that you can pay a 1 time fee for or that is free, that goes along with unlimited data?
    07-01-08 06:38 AM
    You guys are talking about tmobile, right? Lol ill be ticked if I've been paying for stuff I didn't need to be paying for.

07-01-08 07:14 AM

--Roxie
    That is an awesome deal!!! I wish they had that is a Family Plan form of some sort!!

OMFG, are you serious? I've been paying for text msg even with the BB plan. Damn tmobile ppl. They don't even tell me these things.
    She is serious, but it is only specific for the Minutes and Mail plan...
    if you have the BlackBerry data addon ($19.99/month) on your plan, this does not included texting and you need an additional text package
    07-01-08 07:37 AM
    My plan is up today and I was looking at the Blackberry curve 8320 from T-Mobile. Never had a smart phone before. I was wondering about applications (web browsers, IM, etc.) for the phone. Which ones are good and do you have to pay for certain ones and how much? Any help would be great. Thanks!
    Back on track... I mentioned JiveTalk before, but there are some other nice apps as well.

If you are getting a data plan, you do not need to worry about email apps because the email will go through your Berry's messaging!!

The included BlackBerry Browsers is nice, but the alternative is Opera Mini
    You can use POP/IMAP email app TiggitMail to access your mail thru WiFi if you do not have a data plan

And I highly recommend BBSmart Alarms Pro!!

The prices :

JiveTalk (30 day trial, then $20 for single or $30 for multi license!)
    TiggitMail (30 day trial, then $12.50 for activation)
    Alarms Pro (free trial, and the app is $15)

IF you are patient, you can usually find deals on apps
    07-01-08 07:41 AM

--Roxie
    I just noticed with that plan there is no hotspot. Does that mean you can't use wifi? I don't care about making calls at a hotspot and not having it charged against your minutes, just curious about the wifi and internet.
    07-01-08 06:56 PM
    my faves are:
    -opera mini
    -jivetalk ($$) or webmessenger (free)
    -plusmo
    -sudoku
    -klondike solitaire
    -google maps
    -facebook

check out this link...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/popu...d-links-21096/
    Last edited by five4three2fun; 07-18-08 at 02:58 PM.
    07-18-08 12:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD