Does anybody know if there is any difference between the car charger for a 7100 and an 8320 in terms of voltage etc?

When I took delivery of my first 8320 last month, I picked up a car charger from my supplier at the same time. Four weeks later I was on my third Blackberry 8320 as the first two had developed the problem of doing unprovoked, hard reboots. After exchanging the second handset I developed a little niggle in the back of my mind, although one that I can't definitively justify, that the rebooting problems had started with both of the first 2 handsets AFTER I'd used the car charger to charge them. When I examined the charger I realised that although the connector was obviously the right size, a sticker on the charger body said on it "Blackberry 7100". It's also a not an official Blackberry product. This got me wondering whether there were any subtle differences in the charging requirements of the 7100 and 8320 and, if so, whether using the wrong charger could somehow have damaged the circuits in the 8320 and caused the reboot problem to start.

I'd appreciate any input on this, not least because I'm off on a camping holiday in a couple of weeks time and I'm going to be relying on my car charger (although I think I'm going to buy an "official" one from Blackberry just to be on the safe side).

Steve.
    07-30-08 04:28 AM
    I prefer not to use a car charger. I've heard that they aren't very good for the phone. Maybe that's the reason why you had to exchange your phone twice with the same issue.
    I make sure I charge my phone every night and if I forget I always have the usb charger at the office.
    Also if you have to use a car charger, I'd definitely go with an official one for your specific model. The extra cost might save your BB in the long run.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-08 04:42 AM
    Hmm, interestingly the charger I've just seen in the official Blackberry Shop lists it as compatible with 8300, 8310 and 8330, but the 8320 is conspicuous by it's absence. I wonder if that's just an inputting error or something else?
    07-30-08 04:54 AM
    I just have a 12v plug-in adapter for my car, its a little bulky but this way I don't need extra "car only" chargers for any my electronic devices. Picked one up by Black&Decker for less than $20 at walmart, might look into that if ya can't find what you need.

07-30-08 05:08 AM
    I use a t mobile one on my 8320 no issues

07-30-08 05:47 AM
    I'm pretty sure that any charger with a USB-A port on it that can deliver at least 500mA (the USB spec) - preferably 700-800mA (the BlackBerry desire) - will work for you.
    07-30-08 06:44 AM
    I had to swap out my first two 8330 Curves within the first 2 weeks of ownership because of the random reboot issue. It's not an uncommon problem if you do a forum search. My third Curve has been working just fine. I have a theory that it may be a problem with the battery.

I have several different brands of chargers that I use interchangeably with no issues or problems: Blackberry wall charger, Blackberry car charger, Motorola wall charger, USB sync/charge cables, a Seidio wall charger/dock, and two different brands of generic Chinese made car chargers.

I haven't noted any problems coincidental with using a car charger with any phone or device that I've owned since the mid 90s when I first started using this stuff.

I'm pretty sure that any charger with a USB-A port on it that can deliver at least 500mA (the USB spec) - preferably 700-800mA (the BlackBerry desire) - will work for you.
    Now I know why my Blackberry chargers seem to charge faster. Good info.
    Last edited by Cammer; 07-30-08 at 09:43 AM.
    07-30-08 09:32 AM
    I had to swap out my first two 8330 Curves within the first 2 weeks of ownership because of the random reboot issue. It's not an uncommon problem if you do a forum search. My third Curve has been working just fine. I have a theory that it may be a problem with the battery.
    Yeah, I know it's not an uncommon problem. However, of all the posts I read it's only you and me that have had the problem with 2 handsets as far as I can recall, and it certainly made me wonder if it was something I was doing, hence this thread.
    07-30-08 09:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD