To start off with I will say this is NOT a software issue. It is definitely hardware, I just need advice as to what is the cause so I can look into resolving it or possibly find a setting that will counter it.

I have a BB 8310 for two years now and I absolutely love it, however recently something has gone wrong. I was using the blackberry listening to music with my headphones when it started to act up.

Symptoms:

1) Headphones: Only one side earpiece can be heard
    Note: Wiggling the jack doesn't help, it is not a loose connection

2) Dial: When entering numbers to call, no tone can be heard
    Note: I remember clearly when dialing, pressing any button would make
    a beep tone come out of the speaker. Only way to fix this is to hard reset the phone but after a couple minute call it happens again

3) Calling: There is a loud clicking noise coming from the speaker.
    Note: The audio cuts out, I cannot hear the other person and they can't hear me during the cutout period. They only last 1 second but are random and frequent sometimes

4) Video/Audio: Neither plays sound of the speaker until you manually choose "activate speakerphone."
    Note: I don't get why you have to activate speakerphone, it should play as default if there are no headphones connected. If I plug them in I have to manually choose "activate headset." After playing music for a while using the speakerphone, it can go silent by itself and I have to choose speakerphone again.

These are definitely all related as it has something to do with sound. I don't know if my headphone jack somehow is broken and is interfering with the functions of the phone but I hope someone here more technical than I possibly knows.

My theory is the blackberry thinks I have some headset connected and keeps connecting disconnecting it in theory. Last resort I'm going to unsolder the headphone jack and see what happens lol
    Last edited by rt82; 10-23-09 at 10:44 PM.
    10-23-09 10:21 PM
    Major wear and tear on the headphone jack. My buddy has 8330 he had it for around 7 months before the same issues happened as you explained. He uses his headphone jack around 7 times daily plugging it in and out constantly almost everyday got 7 months. But he had it replaced with the hardware exchange. The same thing happened to my ipod with only one ear piece working. The constant taking it in and out causes the wear and tear. As well as trauma to the earphone piece that connects it to the jack
    10-23-09 11:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD