Hello

Recently upgraded to the 8310 via vodafone.

Love the phone but quite suprised it has no 3g. The salesman said 3 times it did have 3g but it seems obvious that it doesnt. The main reason i got this phone was for more usable applications, a bigger screen and mobile internet. Actually mobile internet is my top priority.

So im considering to return it. Does anyone know how much faster 3g is compared to non 3g? is it just a marketing thing? the internet seems OK but as im tied in for 18 months im not sure it makes sense. I could hold out for the BB BOLD but i suspect that will be expensive initially!

Thanks for any advice
    08-26-08 12:13 PM
    The only 3G Blackberry models are the Bold which is filtering out slowly and the 8707h for the Asian countries. BTW, welcome to Crackberry! You're profile says you are on Voda, but not which country. The Bold should be out soon and given the contract requirements I would just wait for the Bold. 3G is considerably quicker than Edge (2.5G). You will also be able to talk and use data at the same time.
    08-26-08 12:22 PM
    The 8310 is a 2G phone. No doubt about that.

3G is faster (by a lot) when and only when you have full connectivity. It also drains the battery very fast whilst it is working/transmitting. 3G coverage is also very spotty, depending on where you are located.

If you really want 3G and a BlackBerry, see if you can get your hands on a Bold.
    08-26-08 12:23 PM
    Thanks Guys

Good to get confirmation that its not 3G. The saleman seemed a nice guy but he was insistent this phone was 3g. I will return it but sadly it will have to wait until SAT. I actually really like the phone, just this will **** me off in the long term.

I am based in the UK, and i think my best bet is to wait for the BOLD now. The salesman suggested it would be around Q4, pushing december. He also suggested it wouldnt be free. I hope VODA take the phone back, i see no reason why not... espescially as the salesman misrepresented the product to me!

Thanks
    08-26-08 12:42 PM
    The 8130, 8330 and 8830 are also 3G devices, but run on CDMA carriers insted of GSM carriers.
    08-26-08 12:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD