Hello all. New to this forum and have learned lots from the great info on this forum. Just received 8300 about 2 weeks ago from att. Lot of phone there coming from a razr. Called att customer service today and asked about upgrading to 8310 since still in the 30 day trial period. Seriously thinking about the 8310 just to get the gps.

Kind of mad at them since they said nothing about the gps and the 8310 coming out on the heels of my order just 2 weeks ago. Is it worth the hassle to go back to the store and ask them to exchange?? Since I just renewed 2 year contract, would like to have the gps feature since I will have to keep this phone for the 2 years. Has anyone else upgraded in the 30 day period and what was your difference to pay for the 8310?

Thanks for your replies.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-07 08:43 PM
    Digger, I am in the same boat. I finally gave in to my craving, and got an 8300 since the release of the 8310 kept getting pushed back. I have a BT puck that works nicely with the 8300 but it would be nice to have it all in one package. However, I found GoogleMaps to be neat but not useful. I haven't tried BBmaps yet. I personally think a GPS that does not give turn by turn audible directions is little more than a toy. I don't want to hijack you post, so I will be interested to see what responses you recieve.
    10-22-07 09:37 PM
    you have 30 days to return your phone i did it with no questions ask. the price is the same
    10-22-07 11:13 PM
    Yes, I returned my 8300 for the 8310 and haven't looked back! I loved the 8300, but the built-in GPS made the 8310 a must-have. I'm using the TeleNav service and it seems to be working great. I have noticed that Bluetooth and GPS (especially together) drain the battery, so I ordered Seideo's (sp) extended battery.

I would advise you to take advantage of the 30 day-window and upgrade to the 8310. There was no price difference.
    10-22-07 11:54 PM
    I'm going to go to AT&T and hopefully argue enough for them to let me upgrade at contract price. I don't mind paying contract but not full. I got my 8300 two months ago but would really like GPS. I have a few colleagues who have threatened to leave AT&T in similar situations, and not only did AT&T buy their old phone back...but used that towards the price of the new phone...and gave them a discounted price on the new phone. Maybe I'm dreaming or full of wishful thinking but I've found they're fairly receptive when you present your agrument. Hopefully they'll let me work something out so I don't have to buy it at full price.
    10-23-07 01:03 AM
    you must go in and tell them what they are going to do for you. Be strong and they will do whatever it takes.
    10-23-07 02:45 PM
    Digger1, I was in the same situation as you. I had purchased the 8300 about 2 weeks prior to the release of the 8310. I considered keeping the 8300 but for me the more I thought about it the more it became clear that I should use the 30 day period grace period to exchange the phone. How could they consider it reasonable to come out with a new (similar) model within 30 days of the 8300? It appeared that the 8300 was a test model. Why? 1. because the 8300 had "GPS" under the advanced options but no GPS, hmmm? 2. the calendar reminder on the 8300 didn't work properly without the patch that was later released and the 8310 did not require the patch, the reminder worked out of the box.

Does anyone else feel the same about the above 2 issues? Digger exchange the test model and get the 8310 you deserve!
    10-23-07 06:12 PM
    Thank you all for your responses. Went by an att company store today but all they had was the red. Will hold out for the titanium color. No offense but the red is just too much bling-bling for me. The titanium is more professionally looking in my opinion.

The rep at the store was very accommodating when I mentioned the 30 day "buyers remorse" period. Evidently the red color is plentiful but the titanium color is scarce. Hopefully they will get some titaniums in the next day or so. If not, guess I'll call the 800# and do it that way.

Thanks again for your help!
    10-23-07 08:45 PM
    I tried the titanium one, still have it in the box. Altho its got GPS [but no audible directions like blane64 said] Im sticking with my 8300, I luv the silver color, the titanium color I found to be fairly dull with no shine or lustre to it. I'll upload some hi-res pics for comparison tomorrow if anyone's interested.
    10-23-07 11:49 PM
    Ijust got my 8310 from FedEx today and why did I wait so long? Was on VZW w/ a Treo700wx and this thing is amazing. On the road so needed a holster stat-called ATT store locally, they had one in stock, jumped in car and fired up Telenav, took me right there. Friggin' incredible. Go get one and smile!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-24-07 09:34 PM
    Digger - now that I'm back at my laptop, let me elaborate a little. I am literally on an EXTENDED business trip in Wichita, KS through the end of December minimum (I get to fly home to Baltimore every two weeks for a few days off). Finally had enough of my battery pig T700wx on VZW so I just hit the AT&T website, picked out what I wanted (Ti for me please) and hit order. I've read so much negative about AT&T customer service - they've just been friggin' wonderful as far as I've experienced. One phone call to customer service, 10 minutes and I got my NJ number ported over to MD (you have to lie and enter your father in law's address as your primary service then change later on), account set up and phone was shipped to me here at the hotel via FedEx 2 day (freebie for online orders, blah, blah). It arrived SIM installed - threw it on the charger for an hour, made a test call, BIS fired up right off the bat and I am just absolutely in love. If you can wait two lousy business days, I would HIGHLY recommend the Ti - I would post a picture but it's nothing you haven't seen before. And looks damned awesome IMHO
    10-24-07 11:15 PM
    I have had the same experience with AT&T. They have been great.
    10-25-07 10:02 AM
    I'm going to go to AT&T and hopefully argue enough for them to let me upgrade at contract price. I don't mind paying contract but not full. I got my 8300 two months ago but would really like GPS. I have a few colleagues who have threatened to leave AT&T in similar situations, and not only did AT&T buy their old phone back...but used that towards the price of the new phone...and gave them a discounted price on the new phone. Maybe I'm dreaming or full of wishful thinking but I've found they're fairly receptive when you present your agrument. Hopefully they'll let me work something out so I don't have to buy it at full price.
    what happened? i would like to know since i'm in the exact same boat. thanks!
    10-25-07 11:19 AM
    I'll share my upgrade story...

I purchased the 8300 and loved it. Within a week, I discovered the pending release of the 8310 w/ GPS. I definitely wanted the GPS, so I started searching the net for a firm release date. As most of you know, there is no such thing as a FIRM release date. The date kept getting pushed back and back until I was within a few days of the end of my 30-day return period.

Call it what you may, but I played the system. I figured as soon as my 30 days were up, the 8310 would hit the AT&T market. So, I returned the 8300 (on the 30th day!) for AT&T's Tilt (Window's Mobile). Personally, I thought the phone sucked (the "tilt" part was cool, though). Way too many bells and whistles for me, BUT... I walked out of the store with another 30-day return period (of which AT&T will allow you to do twice).

Within a week, they rolled out the 8310 and...you guessed it...I was back in the store. All they had was the red one, but I was ok with that (my attempt at getting out of the box).

I'm now sporting the crimson red 8310 and lovin' it!
    10-25-07 05:08 PM
    I have had the same experience with AT&T. They have been great.
    I have been with att/cingular/swbms since their early beginnings (20 years) hence the 3 different name changes. The company store by me pi**ed me off more than once when doing contract extension, upgrades, etc. Last upgrade over a year ago got bad info from the store rep but found out otherwise when I called the home office "800" number. This time ordered 3 phones from the "800" number and told them about all my bad experiences in the past.

Could not believe the cooperation from the folks at the "800" number. It was great! After receiving the phone, had to go by the company store nearby to pick up a case (dreaded going there) but what a change in their attitudes. Made a second visit and a store rep even set up my email!!

The ratings one reads on the internet shows att at the bottom of the list compared to the other guys. So far I beg to differ with the ratings as I have only praise for the "new att". Just my 5 cents worth.
    10-25-07 08:30 PM
    The ratings one reads on the internet shows att at the bottom of the list compared to the other guys. So far I beg to differ with the ratings as I have only praise for the "new att". Just my 5 cents worth.
    I now retract that statement after the nightmare in the last 24 hours. Called 800 cust. NO-service last night complaining I wanted a 8310 but none to be found in titanium color locally. Spent 40 minutes (yes, almost 3/4 hour) on the phone with a b*tch in cust-no-service last night. The best they could do is mail me a 3810 but I would have to pay shipping. Refused to pay shipping since not my fault their company stores could not keep a sufficient inventory.
    Drove 30 miles this a.m. to a store that had one left in the titanium color. Fortunately it was still there by the time I got there as they would not "hold" it until I got there. The rep at the store did swap over to the new phone all my data from the old phone, 8300.

Explained my tale of woe with cust-no-service last night to the store rep. Told him that I originally got the phone and very good service after I threatened to end my 20 year relationship with them. He said the folks in their "retention" center have better deal making authority than the flunkies in cust-no-service. Lesson learned here......go directly to the "I want to terminate my service" department if you want anything done right.
    10-27-07 05:45 PM
    just trying to get this straight:

8300- No GPS or Wifi
    8310- Has GPS
    8320???

Does the 8320 have GPS and wifi

Thank u
    10-28-07 09:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD