Updates are very serious. One mistake can cause a ton of chaos. Iam sure rim knows what there doing just wait my friend. Check out all the things your blackberry can do. Imagine if one function that you loved didn't work properly anymore you would be pissed off. Give them time to test. It will come soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-08 06:50 AM
    RIM never even stated of a 4.5 was even going to exist, hence even a release date. Heck when the final version comes out, it can be 4.6 for all we know.

The issue comes in due to the fact of blogs/rss feeds stating leaks of release dates. There release date could be set for 2010.
    Have you seen this posting?

BlackBerry OS v4.5 (formerly OS v4.3) Update Details!! | CrackBerry.com

How do you respond to it if what you say is true?
    05-02-08 10:34 AM
    Who says 4.5 will fix the memory leakage. RIM has had more than enough time to fix the memory leakage and hasn't. I don't think it's as simple as OS 4.5. After all this is not RIM's first phone.
    I like what JoJo78 had to say. Everyone patiently waiting for the 4.5OS. "I don't want problems" people say. They also say, "I want something stable". "I don't want something that's miscoded or what not". Well folks like JoJo78 said, there's still people experiencing memory leaks, system resets, etc... Give me a break I'm sure when 4.5OS is finally if at all released there's going to be a ton of problems anyway. Just you wait and see.. Next thread is going to be like, "4.5OS isn't compatible with my add-ons." (Geez...what's new).
    05-02-08 10:35 AM
    The one key fact that everybody seems to have overlooked is that OS 4.5 when it finally comes wil be - F R E E.

4.5 is a major revision of the OS. Akin to Windows XP SP3 + added functionality.

RIM have provided us with functionality enhancements with alomost all their OSs since the beginning. Try asking Microsoft or worse, Apple that.
    05-02-08 01:00 PM
    i too cant wait for the updates. i have been using the betas and the only problem i had was i had to setup my email accounts again.if the betas are any indication of whats coming i am glad i bought the BB Curve. i am a official crackberry junkie
    05-02-08 02:29 PM
    4.5 was a definate release from RIM, announced at lotusphere 2008.
    But they only promised it to be out The first half of 2008, nothing more..
    Its only May now...

1) Requires BlackBerry Enterprise Server v4.1.5 and BlackBerry device software v4.5 or above.
    Research In Motion
    05-02-08 08:38 PM
    i repeat everything in this thread.... my buddy has the 4.5 beta and he gave me a copy and i couldnt load it... so im just waiting for the release of the final stable version. Like adeebm said, 4.2 works just fine.. just wanna see what all the hype is about.
    05-02-08 09:47 PM
    Who else is fed up with RIM's promise of OS 4.5? When is it finally coming? Didn't we all hear that by last year we'd have something? Then mid-April? Now it's May 1st. And we still have nothing. Too many unkept promises if you ask me... What's your opinion?
    BlackBerry's were first and foremost aimed at corporate customers. So why would RIM risk upsetting their corporate customers if it can't meet their expectations? A mistake like that could cost RIM millions.... and for what? A few happy home users? I apologize if I�m wrong, but I believe the Pearl was their first phone that even offered a camera.

Besides, as another user pointed out, there is no charge to upgrade once it�s released. You should appreciate the fact that you have a phone that allows the user to upgrade the OS (without buying a new expensive phone), and that RIM listens to their customers and adds functionality with each OS (not just tweaks). I am!
    05-02-08 11:04 PM
    I must agree, I'm sick of hearing all the rumors about this OS, this model 9000, Thunder this and that. By the time RIM pulls any of this off, they will not only lose marketshare, but the leadership and following of the business world. It cant take this long to bring updated tech. to the marketplace.
    05-03-08 09:43 AM
    I have 4.5 loaded, and besides the L theme i do not see what the big hype is about. HTML email will be great but that is only for BES users so it is not a benefit to many of us. I do agree what someone else says though, Rim is smart and they know their main customers are businesses. You do not pis* off your core customers, it is just business 101.

In my opinion, Rim needs to do more than HTML email for BES users if it wants to remain the leader in this business area. I have customers already just waiting for the release of the new iphone firmware/software that will allow exchange integration to switch to the iphone. I have tried talking them out of it, as i do not want to deal with the iphone and itunes crapware, but hey they pay me to do what they want so I do just that.

I also think when it is finally released there will be threads complaining that they waited all that time for nothing.
    05-03-08 10:40 AM
    People buy a BB, downloading some apps and "play" with it a lot.

Now they bored playing and are looking for something new. Yeah...4.5 can help them out for anothjer couple of days, but what then?

In the mean time: download yourself a game as free as possible, and play until some upgrade of whatever is released.

It's all good.

05-03-08 10:51 AM
    Honestly I think the longer RIM waits the more it hurts them. Dont get me wrong I LOVE my Curve. But the second gen iPhone on its way, Nuviphone, and MANY other new "smartphones" coming out VERY soon. One thing the iPhone has done has got the other players standing up and thinking different. We are seeing more phones come out with video recording, html email, full web browsing, exchange support, push email, etc etc. I feel that the longer they wait the more they risk people jumping ship to something new. Now for RIM its fine if they jump ship to the 9000 because they make money on that, but if these releases keep coming out after new phones people will get tired of jumping to a new device and/or waiting for their device to get updated.

That whole "its free" argument doesnt hold much water either. Many updates for phones (or windows as people have pointed out) are free as well. Its not a whole new OS either its not like 5.0 its just some enhancements. And honestly if it was a full blown OS I wouldnt mind paying a little cash for it. Heck if it got it out quicker I wouldnt mind some little token $ for 4.5 either. Saves me from buying a whole new device.

For me it just stinks that 4.5 isnt out yet and by the time it comes out the 9000/iPhone/Nuviphone or whatever may be around the corner (if not even already out) so 4.5 will basically be useless for me because I will have already made up my mind to jump ship and move on to the "next thing".
    05-03-08 11:08 AM
    RIM release the Blackberry Enterprise Server 4.1.5 which is needed to make use of OS 4.5's advanced feature set. I think the handset portion won't be far behind now.

05-03-08 05:52 PM
    I think that many of you are probably right, in that the average consumer does want an iPhone alternative from RIM. I disagree that RIM stands to lose a lot of their business/corporate market share though.

Remember that whole thing with RIM and India, where India's government wanted RIM to allow complete access to read any (and all) information sent over the BB network. BB�s are built around security and corporate business first. The iPhone was built with the average consumer in mind first. The two are aimed at different markets. The difference is that the average iPhone user does not necessary value the security of a BB. The average BB user does value the iPhone�s unique features.

I personally would like HTML web browsing on my BB. A method similar to Google�s Gmail, which displays HTML but does not access internet content unless I trust the sender, would be fine for me.

I�m eagerly waiting both the HTML email and the video camera capability in 4.5 on my Curve. However, I also understand that 4.5 must work on the phone AND it must not compromise RIM�s network. Perhaps some of the delays have not been on the users end, but because security on the BB network needed to be addressed. I can�t believe that with the addition of HTML email, that security has not been seriously upgraded on RIM's servers.
    05-04-08 01:55 PM
    RIM has their business base of willful and forced user base. I am in the forced category myself due to working for a Canadian company that the IT dept has moved to RIM. I use a BB 8310 that is WAY behind the Palm Treo's. But as a pure business machine, the BB is better.

I would bet that RIM is enjoying a new segment of I'll-take-whatever-is-free phone consumers. This is probably millions of people who won't pay for an iPhone and the BB Curve has just enough features to play with waiting for the wife at the mall, or sitting in line somewhere.

My point is that if RIM does want to hang on to all these new non-business users, they better get crackin' on 4.5 or 5.0 for that matter. My 5 year old Treo records video just fine and has html email. Matter of fact, has Goodlink push email that works great too. The willful business users and give-it-to-me-free crowd will leave RIM for the next cooler thing that appears. When Apple fixes the iPhone with 3G, enterprise, and a keyboard that works right, I'll bet there will be at least 5 other great choices available too. Look at the Samdung new release coming.
    05-04-08 03:07 PM
    I cant wait to get it but at the same time, I want something that is worth the time of installing..so please RIM sometime this summer would be great
    06-16-08 10:21 PM
    at least 4.5 came out BEFORE the Nuviphone...HA HA!!
    08-13-09 10:34 AM
    Wow... lazarus thread, lol

08-13-09 10:41 AM
    Have Patience
    08-13-09 11:03 AM
    A lot of patience...
    08-13-09 11:06 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD