Greetings All,

While prepping the house for Hurricane Ike, my Curve 8300 took a 6 foot nosedive into the front porch and shattered like fine crystal. End result = cracked and dead screen, broken trackball, cracked case.

Because I manage my company's IT shop, I can stay with AT&T or port to Verizon without an ETF. My dilemma is that I cannot decide which device I prefer - the 8310 or the 8330. Aesthetically, they are both fine. So it comes down to an 8310 with unlocked GPS and slower Internet speeds or an 8330 with crippled GPS and fast EVDO speeds plus OS 4.5. Coverage seems about the same, but my experience shows that AT&T's network handles weak signals a little better than Verizon's. As far as cost, I haven't talked to my AT&T rep, but the 8310 appears to be $100 (from AT&T Wireless website) while we buy the 8330s from Verizon for $50.

So the question comes down to GPS vs faster Internet with a dash of coverage thrown in for good measure. Based on this info, which device would you get? What are your experiences, opinions, thoughts, etc? Thanks!
    09-14-08 07:37 AM
    8310 for Att is free at Best Buy right now, so might wanna check there, i picked mine up last week for free at Best Buy
    09-14-08 08:12 AM
    Do you have a standalone GPS unit? If so, I would say use the Verizon unit.

I personally have Sprint, and have considered switching to Verizon for better signal coverage in my area.

-Kyle
    09-14-08 08:13 AM
    You need to make the choice of what is more important to you. GPS has many options to get around. THe cons of it are this. Use VZNAV for 9.99 per month, or carry another GPS unit with you.

As for the coverage issue. If ATT has the better coverage, then I think this would be a high priorty. Do keep in mind that there is a merger in the works with VZW that will improve coverage for VZW, that should be a done deal by the end of the year. This will improve the coverage in Texas by 100 fold.

With this said, I hope you came though IKE without too damage to friends and family.
    09-14-08 08:21 AM
    I say VZW all the way. A bluetooth GPS puck is an easy fix for crippled GPS. I don't know the speed differences between AT&T and VZW, but I do know that when not in an EVDO coverage area I might as well just forget about surfing the net on my phone.

IMHO the coverage area, support, and 3G network of VZW far outweighs the unlocked GPS of AT&T.

As far as plan costs go I checked AT&T's site the other day and their pricing is exactly the same as VZW. VZW is cheaper for me cause I get 20% off my plan and plan options through my corporate discount.
    09-14-08 01:32 PM
    I've got an 8310 and I love it. The internet speeds aren't bad at all- while in the states a little while ago I even found my internet was working faster on AT&T than it was on Rogers at home and I find my speeds at home just fine!

If GPS is important to you then I say go with the 8310...the other pro being that if you scratch it/brake something minor on it it's easier to replace b/c of all the stuff housings etc. available for 8310s.

just my two cents.
    09-14-08 04:39 PM
    8330 is a much much better phone
    stick with that one
    09-14-08 04:42 PM
    the 8330 has more on board memory, and more memory is always better!
    09-14-08 04:45 PM
    With Verizons 30 day guarantee you can't go wrong. Give it a try and if it doesn't suit your needs then default back to ATT , I think you'll be pleasantly surprised......... I Verizon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-08 05:34 PM
    If it is down to crippled GPS and faster network, remember you can alway get the GPS - either external or VZNAV.

Either way, best to you and your family.
    09-14-08 06:29 PM
    glad the blackberry is the only thing that got harmed. best of luck to you, and as benzworm said, the 8330 has more memory, that could be a great thing!
    09-14-08 08:35 PM
    its really up too you... which is more important feature you want..
    09-14-08 08:50 PM
    my bb is on verizon great service my iphone is att crappy service
    09-14-08 08:51 PM
    I love my Sprint, for $7, I always get a new BB, with no other fees, for damages.
    09-14-08 09:25 PM
    the 8330 has more on board memory, and more memory is always better!
    ^--- what he said

-Kyle
    09-14-08 11:23 PM
    Thanks for checking in, everyone! My family weathered the storm ok because we live 30 miles west of town. A couple of my guys and our office are a completely different story, though.

Thanks too for the input on the device differences. GPS isn't all that important, but I did get to use it once on an 8830 while my VP borrowed my 8300 to go to Argentina. I'm a huge yard/garage sale junkie and go sale hopping several times a month. Functional GPS was nice to have. But like you all said, VZNav is only $10 per month, and since I control the wireless bill....

I didn't realize the 8330 had more memory. Missed that in the specs. That's a pretty big deal for me, as I check three emails accounts on top on my BES account and am a heavy Viigo user. I also keep several key work documents on my BB for emergencies (such as this one!). So more IS better in this case.

RE coverage. It's more of a "feel" thing. For instance, in the very few places where Verizon will drop a call, AT&T gets "tinny" but doesn't drop. Call clarity is better overall with Verizon while AT&T seems to handle those rare drops better (maybe once per month). Either network should suit me just fine because Houston is lit up with cell towers like a Christmas Tree.

It sounds like the 8330 is the way to go. Faster network, more memory, updated OS (who knows when AT&T will release the 4.5 update???). Plus, the 8330 is a little more attractive than the 8310 IMO. So, an 8330 it is.

Thanks again for all of your input and advice. This place ROCKS!!!
    09-15-08 08:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD