So I finally collected my nickels and dimes and bought a Sandisk 6GB Micro SDHC card.So I pop it in and my 8320, it recognizes it so I'm happy....or am I? So I connect my BB by USB and I go to My Computer and I click on Removable Disk E and I get "The disk in drive E is not formatted.Do you want to format it? Yes/No." This isn't good. So I take the card out of the phone and I pop it into the reader and it works fine.I throw on some files and it shows up in the BB.Why can't I use the computer to go to through BB and access the memory card?Its wasn't a problem with the 1GB why now?
    12-21-07 06:49 PM
    The 8320 only supports up to a 4GB card. 6-8GB cards require OS 4.3.
    12-21-07 06:52 PM
    But it recognizes 5.XGB of it?My issue is accessing it without taking it out of my phone each time I add something from my computer.
    12-21-07 07:11 PM
    I didn't make this up.

BlackBerry Search Results
    12-22-07 01:16 AM
    Format it on your PC and then pop it in and see what happens, maybe it will see at least 4gb.
    12-22-07 06:46 AM
    I think John Clark is making it up.

No, he really isn't - to use a 6GB microSD card, you have to be running OS 4.3, which is not released yet for the 8320.
    12-22-07 07:37 AM
    Is there any way of installing OS 4.3 on the 8310 / 8320? It seems a little odd that its available for lower models yet not for the 8310! Mine only recognises 1.8gig of the cards capacity... even less than its supposed to
    Last edited by EdwardBenton; 12-22-07 at 07:49 AM.
    12-22-07 07:44 AM
    Hi, guys,

Maybe one of you knowledgable folks on here can help me with this problem. I happily (or so I thought) purchased a 6gb card (Sandisk from Amazon) for my 8320 a while back when they first became available. I was aware that Roxio Media manager would not recognize this card, and that was fine, as I could use and have been using Windows Media Player to add my files or adding them manually (Roxio takes too long, anyway). Anyway, my phone recognized 5.6gb of available space on the card and so far I have used just under 1gb. A couple of days ago, I went to add a couple of songs to the card (maybe 8mb total), and when I put the card back in the phone I got an error message stating that the media card contained an error and I needed to to use a disk error-checking utility to fix it. I did all that and continued to get the error, at which point I figured maybe the music files were corrupted. I removed them and the problem went away. Today, I added four different music files, and you guessed it, I got the same error again. Clearly, this is not a problem with the music files (what are the odds all of them are corrupted...besides, I can access and play the files on my computer just fine). Anyway, the real puzzler here is that according to the disk-checking utility, I'm only using 1.04gb. I haven't even reached the 2gb limit that the current OS (4.2.2) is known to be able to handle, and there are plenty of folks who have confirmed that 4gb cards are recognized/work. I'm planning to remove the songs I added today and basically not add any more music since my card becomes unusable after that. I've read some of the horror stories about others who decided to format their cards, and I'm not prepared to have a $70 2gb card on my hands. Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions/theories as to why my card is kicking the bucket at 1.04gb???
    12-22-07 01:41 PM
    Check to see how many files you have in the root directory of the SD card. The max is 256. If you go over this amount it will either not allow the read or write.
    12-22-07 02:07 PM
    Check to see how many files you have in the root directory of the SD card. The max is 256. If you go over this amount it will either not allow the read or write.
    How do I do this?
    12-23-07 03:15 PM
    Ok I'm guessing my issue can't be solved?
    12-23-07 04:30 PM
    The 8320 can not accomodate a 6GB microSD card. It can only handle up to 4GB cards. This documented limit will be raised when OS v4.3 for the 8320 comes out. There are no dates for the release of v4.3.

Get a 4GB card.
    12-23-07 05:32 PM
    While those few who have pointed out the 8320 wont handle more are than 4gb until 4.3 OS update are correct,just hold on to your 6gb card untill we get the update and you will be fine,i think giving the new OS to the new pearl is done to help sell the new pearls,even though i love my curve,its actually the pearl that sells the best for RIM in the consumer arena,there selling like hotcakes,the pearl has help bring over first time blackberry users into the fold and im sure there is a good amount of those people who stepped up to a full keyboard,it is to RIMs advantage to hold out to sell some more pearls untill the rest of us gets it,with no date in site.
    Last edited by castlerock611; 12-23-07 at 08:27 PM.
    12-23-07 08:24 PM
    More of the same guys, I am general manager for a major retailer, and even though I have over 100 employee in my building i like to work the sales floor. I see countless BB users running in to get the 6 gig chip, and I tell them even show them on my phone the 6 gig chip wont work but they still wont listen to me, 4.3 os is the only option.
    12-24-07 08:26 AM
    Bit off topic but those that want to buy a 4gb in the mean time Newegg has one for $35 - $10 mail in rebate. Mine should be here a few days after my BB gets here.
    12-24-07 08:30 AM
    Thanks for sharing, NemoOfAmber...
    12-24-07 09:52 AM
    Nemo beat me to it but if the current phone's capability is a 4gb card and you went out and bought a 6gb, then technically you are going to have problems! That's like buying a regular 1gb card when the thing states you need a micro and wondering why I can't fit it into the tiny spot for it!
    12-24-07 10:57 AM
    Mine won't even give me the four gig it insists on partitioning the card at 2 gig!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-07 11:47 AM
    My bad guys I don't think I'm explaining myself correctly.This may only be my phone, but my Curve recognizes all 5.6GB of 6GB on the card as it states in Media Card.My issue is NOT the phone reading the card itself.It reads the whole capacity fine.My issue IS that I can not access my memory card through my computer when the phone is connected via USB. I get a message saying to format which I will not do.The only way I can connect is if I take out the card from the phone and put it in the reader.Is there a way around it instead of going through the inconvenience?Sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by supermanjamil; 12-24-07 at 05:37 PM.
    12-24-07 05:34 PM
    What program are all of you using to get the music?

12-24-07 06:13 PM
    I use Ares.Hopefully someone answers my question.
    12-24-07 06:23 PM
    Just out of curiosity and also because I'm a brand new BB owner, where can I check to see the limitations of the memory card for my 8310?
    12-25-07 11:08 AM
    Menu>Options>Media Card>Look to the bottom for Total Space,Free Space.
    12-25-07 03:51 PM
    NemoOfAmber- Thanks for the 4gig info. As far as the main topic- you're already ahead of some of us - regarding sd cards. You're just waiting on the next OS release

12-25-07 04:16 PM
    my 8gb works fine. no problems at all so far.
    12-26-07 12:08 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD