Hi, so I upgraded recently when tmobile released 4.5 and, honestly, I don't notice an improvement in my curve.

Some things I'm wondering about:

1) Video - I don't see an option for playing videos, such as Youtube. All I see is: [flash .. blah blah blah] where the video should be.

2) Appearance of email - not much of a difference here. I'm still getting the e-mails with all the crap at the beginning.. DOCTYPE//*!1PXSOLID.. know what I mean. I downloaded a free trial of Empower mail viewer, which disappeared after I upgraded to 4.5. For such an expensive smartphone, one would think that Blackberry would provide a better email viewer. Empower is great, but $29 to see your mail properly.

On the plus side, my bb is now supported by third party applications such as XM radio..woo hoo.. oh, no, as someone else mentioned.. XM on a mobile phone "sounds like a cheap FM radio."

So, why the hype?
    10-29-08 02:07 PM
    Hi, so I upgraded recently when tmobile released 4.5 and, honestly, I don't notice an improvement in my curve.

Some things I'm wondering about:

1) Video - I don't see an option for playing videos, such as Youtube. All I see is: [flash .. blah blah blah] where the video should be.

2) Appearance of email - not much of a difference here. I'm still getting the e-mails with all the crap at the beginning.. DOCTYPE//*!1PXSOLID.. know what I mean. I downloaded a free trial of Empower mail viewer, which disappeared after I upgraded to 4.5. For such an expensive smartphone, one would think that Blackberry would provide a better email viewer. Empower is great, but $29 to see your mail properly.

On the plus side, my bb is now supported by third party applications such as XM radio..woo hoo.. oh, no, as someone else mentioned.. XM on a mobile phone "sounds like a cheap FM radio."

So, why the hype?
    YouTube under 4.5 is easy, once you know. I had to ask. Go here on your phone http://www.hostj2me.com/d/6696/youtube.jad and you will soon have a link on your phone's desktop that will now show YouTube vids. Note that the conversion is done by YouTube so what you get is what you get. You also need to make sure that you APN is set. Go to Options, Advanced Options, TCP and make sure that the correct data is in all 3 fields. Your carrier can help you here.

Your email should display html just fine but you need to resend your service books before it will work. There are 3 ways to do this.
    - go to you cariier's BIS site on your PC, login and send your Service Books that way.

- go to the BIS site using the Email Setup Application on your Blackberry.

- call your carrier and ask them to do it for you. HWilst you are on the phone have them help you set yuo a BIS account if you do not already have one as there is a recurring requirement to resend Service Books after ugrades.
    Last edited by Pete6; 10-29-08 at 02:51 PM.
    10-29-08 02:48 PM
    Hey.. the link you gave is not working "no content cannot process" is the message I'm getting.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-08 11:41 PM
    yep i got that too from the link....
    10-30-08 12:36 AM
    Also Orgasmic some people have been having an issue after the upgrade to the T-Mobile 4.5 where no matter what they do ie service books....reloading the upgrade...etc the email is still showing up with all the html codes but not rendering properly.......it looks like from your post you may be having that issue.......so if after you send service books it is still doing the same thing then you will have to call T-Mobile Cust Care and get escalated to RIM - - there is a settings fix on their end ........... I had this problem and after reaching a senior analyst at RIM they were able to correct the problem so now my HTML email is rendering properly - - very similar to what I would see with 4.2 and Empower. Oh and speaking of Empower there are some issues using that program under 4.5 so I deleted it before doing the upgrade so that I wouldn't have a conflict with the native BlackBerry HTML.
    10-30-08 12:53 AM
    Ok gotcha. So, I'll try resend of service books first. Thanks for sharing..I'm glad you followed through with RIM. Yeah, I wasn't sure about keeping Empower, but I wanted to know if the appearance of email could improve. Not paying 29 bucks, though.. that's just lame.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-08 01:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD