Hi All -

To start, I've searched both Google and a couple of Blackberry forums for this issue:

Running a VZW 8330 with OS 4.5.0.77

I changed my home page under 4.3 without issue. After the .77 upgrade, I'm trying to change my home page under options (I've been saving the changes) and the home page reverts back to the old one.

I believe I've found the source of the problem. Under my blackberry bookmarks, I have one titled "Home Page" and it contains my old home page URL. The problem is, I can neither Edit nor delete this Bookmark.

I'm thinking it has to do with a service book, but which one and why with the .77 upgrade. Anyone else having this issue and/or does anyone know of a solution?

Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-08 08:11 PM
    Open your browser and go to options. Go to Browser Configuration..scroll down to "Start Page: and set that to Home Page...scroll down to Home Page Address and type in the desired address, click save.

Hope that helps
    08-30-08 08:18 PM
    Hi Lili - Thanks. As I mentioned in my post, I've done this numerous times and saved the changes. Even then, it reverts it back to the old page and I think that Home Page Bookmark is the culprit

08-30-08 08:25 PM
    This is the third time I have read about this issue in this forum alone. You might do another search, but I have not seen a solution yet. I do believe this issue is only a problem with the 8330 and .77.

08-30-08 08:31 PM
    Hmm....mine is working fine...sorry that didn't help.
    08-30-08 08:31 PM
    Mitch, you can edit that bookmark in the Browser Configuration, that's precisely what I did just now, and it worked with every URL I've typed in.
    08-30-08 08:33 PM
    It may be that you'll need to bookmark the page you want and then click it in the goto page when starting your browser. ;( sorry to not be more helpful. Maybe someone has found the solution...

08-30-08 08:35 PM
    I have the option to edit, but while in the edit screen, I can't go any higher than the name field, and thus cannot select/edit the URL. Also, do you have the option to delete the bookmark when the menu drops down?

08-30-08 08:37 PM
    I have MSN as my home page , the same as it was with .52 and .66 and now.77. The settings transfered over from one os to the next , I have never tried to change it. So just now I tried to change it for your sake and it changes fine for me?

What is your home page stuck on , if you don't mind me asking?

08-30-08 08:38 PM
    Hi Exelant - Thanks, that's sort of the workaround I have for now. I have it configured so the Bookmarks screen comes up when I start the browser as opposed to the home page. There has to be a resolution for this.

08-30-08 08:39 PM
    It's stuck on the Mobile version of Google's portal (google.com/ig). I just deleted the my Gmail BIS service books and did a soft reset, still can't delete/edit that bookmark.

08-30-08 08:43 PM
    Well, since a couple of us were able to scroll down far enough to change the address, maybe your phone just needs a battery pull or something.
    08-30-08 08:45 PM
    Yes from the bookmarks page I can select and edit the "home Page" bookmark but there is no option to delete and while editing you cannot scroll to the top to change the URL same as what you are seeing.

08-30-08 08:50 PM
    LiliC - I've done that. This is not an issue resolved by a simple fix such as a battery pull, soft reset, etc. As Exelant has mentioned, others, and not all, are experiencing this issue. There has to be a common demominator.

08-30-08 08:54 PM
    I am not sure if you guys are doing exactly what I am doing....Open your Browser and hit the menu button, click options, click Browser Configuration, Scroll down and click Start Page, select Home Page as your option, then scroll down further to Home Page Address: and delete the address there and type in the address you want. click Menu and "Save Options" then exit out of options. When you then click on the menu button and click on "Home" it should take you to the address you typed in....I have done this successfully 4 times in the past 30 minutes with different addresses and I am running 4.5.0.77 on a Verizon 8330.
    08-30-08 08:54 PM
    Lili - In a utopian world, yes, that's the case. And I too have done this about 20 times in the past 30 min but not with the results you've had.

I can change the address in the Browser options, and even save the changes (as I mentioned in my first post). The problem is, and sometimes before my eyes, the home page in browser options changes back to what it was, despite my having saved the changes.

Now, on to the bookmark. You can edit your URL. Great, I can't, and I believe it's that URL that is somehow changing my home page back to what it was.
    08-30-08 08:59 PM
    Lilli I understand you are just trying to help , but your not getting it. He is doing exactly what you are saying and after he saves and exits the homepage reverts to the previous. -t wil NOT stay saved.

08-30-08 09:00 PM
    I guess I'm in Uptopia. Sorry you're having this problem.
    08-30-08 09:01 PM
    OK, the fact that some have the issue and some don't could point to a BES issue. I'm going to poke around on our BES and see if I can find anything. In the mean time, if anyone has a solution to this issue, please post

Thanks for all your responses!
    08-30-08 09:06 PM
    Mitch , what happens when you navigate to options/browserconfiguration/menu/restoredefaults. Will it save then?

08-30-08 09:07 PM
    I had the same problem when I upgraded from 4.5.0.52 to 4.5.0.69. It kept going to the blackberry mobile site.

I found a method that fixed it for me though. As strange as it seems, follow this exactly, not sure why it works, but it works although if you change themes you might have to repeat it.

Open browser, it will go to your home page.
    go to google
    Options > browser configuration and change your home page.
    Options > general properties and change default font size to something else.
    Close browser by clicking the options and close. Don't use the back button to close.
    Open browser, it should go to your new home page. You can then change your font size back to whatever it was.

Let me know if that works for you, it did for me although i have mine set to go to "start" page.
    Last edited by m3sum; 08-30-08 at 09:29 PM.
    08-30-08 09:21 PM
    Since only some are having this problem, perhaps you might consider reinstalling your OS. Maybe use bmc's upgrade as that does a complete wipe of your device before installing the OS. There is also Pete06's crackmem program. You can find bmc's upgrade thread in the FAQ forum, and pete's thread in the crackberry discussion forum. I'll get the links if you want...

08-30-08 09:23 PM
    I agree with excelant , if you don't find another way to fix it soon I would give reinstalling the os a shot. Last resort you know.

08-30-08 09:29 PM
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback.

Update: I may have fixed it, but I don't know if its permanent.

Just logged into our BES and did 2 things:

1. Cleared my PIM Backup Data
    2. Deleted all the Desktop Service Books on my device
    3. Did a soft reboot.
    4. At that point, I noticed that the new home page loaded and I the Home Page Bookmark now has the new page as the URL. I still cannot edit the URl.

It could have been the "Desktop Browser Config" service book. I should have deleted that SB only and did a soft reset. I'll try that next time. But, seems it could be a bug in the .77 OS as I did not have this problem under 4.3.

UPDATE: The old home page came back!!! Something's pushing it back, I don't know what it is. I'll keep digging . . .

Strange . . .
    Last edited by Mitch R.; 08-30-08 at 09:48 PM.
    08-30-08 09:36 PM
    M3, I think this might be different and unique to the 8330 and .77. I had the same problem as you with .69 and used the restore defaults. That seemed to cure the problem for me and I can edit it again, but I don't think the OP has a restore defaults option.

08-30-08 09:37 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD