Hello,

I'm looking to get a good deal on a BlackBerry 8320 if I upgrade one of my lines on my Family Plan.

At Wal-Mart (in-store), I can get the 8310 for free with the upgrade. However, I do not want a data plan, so there is a $28.00 one-time fee, which is fine. This is a great deal, but it's only for the 8310, not the 8320.
    The in-store representative said that the 8320 is available online at Walmart.com for $0.99 (through Let's Talk). This is true, but this is only after a $99 rebate. I did some searching, and a lot of people seem to have had trouble with Let's Talk rebates (i.e., they never got them). I'm not willing to risk losing $99.

So now I'm on the lookout for alternative retailers. I checked WireFly.com but they don't have the 8320 available.
    Then I checked Amazon Wireless but they require a data plan (which, as I said, I do not want).

Does anybody know of any alternatives to these three stores where I might find a good deal on the BlackBerry Curve 8320?

Thanks!
    08-14-09 02:07 PM
    Any third party dealer you go to is going to require a data plan. This is a requirement of T-Mobile, something the third party dealer has no control over.

As of the beginning of June, T-Mobile requires all new Blackberry activations to have a data plan (with the exception of the Pearl & Pearl Flip). No matter where you get the phone from you will be forced into getting a data plan as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by KasiCatastrophe; 08-14-09 at 05:54 PM.
    08-14-09 05:47 PM
    Any third party dealer you go to is going to require a data plan. This is a requirement of T-Mobile, something the third party dealer has no control over.

As of the beginning of June, T-Mobile requires all new Blackberry activations to have a data plan (with the exception of the Pearl & Pearl Flip). No matter where you get the phone from you will be forced into getting a data plan as well.

I'm with AT&T though, not T-Mobile.
    08-14-09 05:48 PM
    I'm with AT&T though, not T-Mobile.
    Ah. Ok. I apologize, I can't see that info on WAP.

AT&T offers the 8320? I thought that phone was on T-Mobile only and AT&T had the 8310.

Have you tried looking at Best Buy?

08-14-09 05:53 PM
    AT&T will/does require a data plan regardless of weither you purchase at a 3rd party dealer or retail, first thing is the rebate is not valid without a data plan. Second a BB is pointless without a data plan, if you don't want to pay for the data plan then you don't need a BB.. If you want a BB w/ out a data plan then you need to look on craigslist or ebay, other than that a data plan will be required

08-14-09 05:58 PM

AT&T offers the 8320? I thought that phone was on T-Mobile only and AT&T had the 8310.
    I could have gotten the 8320 (with AT&T) through Let's Talk, so I assume that means they carry it.

Have you tried looking at Best Buy?
    Just checked, and they don't seem to carry the 8320 for AT&T.
    08-14-09 06:00 PM
    AT&T will/does require a data plan regardless of weither you purchase at a 3rd party dealer or retail, first thing is the rebate is not valid without a data plan. Second a BB is pointless without a data plan, if you don't want to pay for the data plan then you don't need a BB.. If you want a BB w/ out a data plan then you need to look on craigslist or ebay, other than that a data plan will be required

This can't be true because I upgraded one of my lines yesterday (contract renewal) to get my 8310 and a Data Plan wasn't required. The phone would have been free if I took the Data Plan ($30/month) but I didn't, so I had to pay $28. I can assure you that I won't be finding a brand new BlackBerry on Craigslist or eBay for $28 (or anywhere close to that amount).
    08-14-09 06:01 PM
    Ok but if you ok with paying $28 just to save $30 well that's you but a BB is basically a dumb phone if it doesn't have a data plan and certain features won't work.. That why they call winmo and bb devices smartphone is they can do so much but they are useless and considered a dumb phone w/ out it and like I said before if you don't want the data plan don't get a bb

08-14-09 06:07 PM
    Ok but if you ok with paying $28 just to save $30 well that's you but a BB is basically a dumb phone if it doesn't have a data plan and certain features won't work.. That why they call winmo and bb devices smartphone is they can do so much but they are useless and considered a dumb phone w/ out it and like I said before if you don't want the data plan don't get a bb

I see your point, but I needed a new phone, and I can always add the Data Plan to it in the future (which I intended to do from the beginning).

Even though I don't have the Data Plan, the BlackBerry has proven to be anything but a "dumb phone". It's very reliable, sleek, intelligent and suits my style and taste. I like it a lot even though I can't quite use it to its full potential... yet.
    08-14-09 06:12 PM
    I could have gotten the 8320 (with AT&T) through Let's Talk, so I assume that means they carry it.
    Ok. I never knew that before; good to know.

Just checked, and they don't seem to carry the 8320 for AT&T.
    That sucks. Maybe Radio Shack? Not sure if they have the 8320 but they are an AT&T third party retailer.

08-14-09 06:26 PM

That sucks. Maybe Radio Shack? Not sure if they have the 8320 but they are an AT&T third party retailer.
    Hm, good call. They do not have the 8320, but they have the 8900 for only $99. For that much of an improvement (8320 -> 8900) I would be willing to spend that $99. I'll have to look into the 8900.
    08-14-09 07:44 PM
    Amazon.com has some unlocked 8320s. I got one last week. I put my sim in and everything works fine. No waiting on rebates.
    08-14-09 07:59 PM
    Amazon.com has some unlocked 8320s. I got one last week. I put my sim in and everything works fine. No waiting on rebates.
    How much did you pay? And I don't know a single thing about this whole "unlocked" phenomenon. I'll have to look into it.
    08-14-09 08:13 PM
    It looks like the 8320 has wifi or at least the new ones do so depending on your hot spots you might not need a data plan. Most sources including carriers require data plans to get rebates....
    08-14-09 09:46 PM
    I got my 8320 from ebay went to a local shop got it unlocked and its been fine but I am in uk don't know if that helps

08-15-09 05:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD