Curious...what's the relevance of the 3G chip in my non 3G BB 8310...? Local
    AT&T person was most pleased to swap out my 2G chip for the 3G but really couldn't tell me the benefit of doing it. What say you...?
    07-11-08 11:57 AM
    Thanks! ATT person did say they'd be upgrading the local network to 3G sometime in the fall, but will this be just as "good" as if I had a 3G phone...? In effect, making my 8310 a 3G phone? That would just be too good 2B true!
    07-11-08 12:32 PM
    The chip makes no difference you need a 3G radio and the 8310 does not have one. You need to buy the Bold to get a 3G BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-08 12:58 PM
    How will you make your 2g BB into a 3G BB? What chip will they be swapping? The 8310 is a 2g phone, and 2g only

07-11-08 01:00 PM
    How will you make your 2g BB into a 3G BB? What chip will they be swapping? The 8310 is a 2g phone, and 2g only

I'm guessing they gave him a 3G sim card.

- Patrick
    07-11-08 01:01 PM
    Curious...what's the relevance of the 3G chip in my non 3G BB 8310...? Local
    AT&T person was most pleased to swap out my 2G chip for the 3G but really couldn't tell me the benefit of doing it. What say you...?
    that's the SIM card. they got rid of all the old ones and are replacing them all with the "flaming 3" cards so that no one is stuck with an incompatible SIM should they decide to upgrade their device/plan for 3g data. with that phone, it makes no difference to you.

Same question here. My 8330 for Sprint says that it comes with a 3G chip. I think what that means is that if Sprint rolls out 3G network, the phone will be able to use it? I might be wrong...
    Anyone else have any ideas?
    this is not the same "chip". your sprint version is CDMA, with a qualcomm 3g CDMA radio... you have faster data speeds through the EV-DO Rev0 data and voice network, if available in your area. Sprint already has EVDO "3g" data in most major markets.
    Last edited by oakie; 07-11-08 at 01:04 PM.
    07-11-08 01:02 PM
    Thanks for the replies...I've actually learned something today...eBud
    07-11-08 01:14 PM
    Thanks for the replies...I've actually learned something today...eBud
    i think i learn something every 5 minutes in here... most of it good, though.
    07-11-08 01:43 PM
    Yes.. 3G just mean's it's the third generation of data technology.. Both CDMA and GSM carrier's can have 3G.

Basically, old white sim card's were on "Blue".. the new 3G sim chip's with the fireball logo just mean's that if you ever switch to a new device with a 3G radio, you wont have to go throught he hassle THEN to get your account migrated, because it will be already migrated.

old-pre ATT network was "Blue"
    new ATT network is "Orange"
    Last edited by sniffs; 07-11-08 at 03:09 PM.
    07-11-08 03:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD