Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. Weapon30's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    132 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Newbie here... Some questions

    First time poster...

    I got the 8350i last week and have rearranged my menu and options on the phone itself to the way I like it.

    I am getting a good grip on the actual phone.

    Questions...

    1) My phone would not sync up with my desktop manager software (4.7). It would show on my desktop manager: Device Connected (PIN): None. MY IT guy at work switched me back to the 4.6 version of the software. So far, I haven't had any problems. The only issue is that this version does not include media manager. My other issue is I tried to download a theme and after reading some threads, I read that you had to have the 4.7 version. Is this true? Are there any themes that you can download and transfer to the phone with the 4.6 version.

    2) Apps... So far I have google maps, viigo, facebook, beyond411search, bbtran, the weather network, quickpull, pocketexpress. What do ya'll think of these apps? Any other recommendations?

    Any other info a newbie should know?

    Thanks in advance..
  2. AlwaysLostSometimes's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    372 Posts
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    1) I don't know why it wouldn't sync with your DM 4.7 Mine works fine. Mine work fine and have never ran across that problem. May have just been a corrupted file on the install. You can try it again and re-install it. Don't forget to restart after install.

    As for themes, well I can't help you there. I don't install them as they take up space and not really my style.

    2) For the apps it all sounds good. I recommend

    Alarms Pro
    BBFileScout
    e-Mobile Today Pro (Only if you use Calendar a lot)
    e-Mobile Planner (Only if you use Calendar a lot)
    e-Mobile Voice Phone Tune (Great for call screening)
    Facebook 1.5
    Google Sync (Backs up contacts and calendar events from your phone. *A MUST HAVE)
    Google Search With Voice
    Instant Messaging Applications (AIM, BBM, GT, WLM, {Skype Great for free international calls}, Yahoo)
    Memory Manager
    Opera Mini (Web browser)
    Slacker Radio
    YATCA (Yet Another Twitter Client Application) Best one I've used.
  3. GingerSnapsBack's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,696 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,703 Global Posts
    PIN
    E CONES
    #3  

    Default

    I was going to suggest Slacker too. Great if you like streaming music. I listen to it at work when out servers lock up which happens a lot. I've also got google talk and yahoo instant messenger on mine. Use them a lot. Also gave downloaded Pacman as I'm a Pacman addict. There is a thread here at CB with a instructions with free downloads.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  4. Weapon30's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    132 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysLostSometimes View Post
    1) I don't know why it wouldn't sync with your DM 4.7 Mine works fine. Mine work fine and have never ran across that problem. May have just been a corrupted file on the install. You can try it again and re-install it. Don't forget to restart after install.

    As for themes, well I can't help you there. I don't install them as they take up space and not really my style.

    2) For the apps it all sounds good. I recommend

    Alarms Pro
    BBFileScout
    e-Mobile Today Pro (Only if you use Calendar a lot)
    e-Mobile Planner (Only if you use Calendar a lot)
    e-Mobile Voice Phone Tune (Great for call screening)
    Facebook 1.5
    Google Sync (Backs up contacts and calendar events from your phone. *A MUST HAVE)
    Google Search With Voice
    Instant Messaging Applications (AIM, BBM, GT, WLM, {Skype Great for free international calls}, Yahoo)
    Memory Manager
    Opera Mini (Web browser)
    Slacker Radio
    YATCA (Yet Another Twitter Client Application) Best one I've used.


    Thanks for the apps recommendations. I don't have gmail, I have email through work, so I doubt the google sync would be for me after reading about it.

    What is the advantage to Opera Mini or the standard browser?
  5. AlwaysLostSometimes's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    372 Posts
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weapon30 View Post
    Thanks for the apps recommendations. I don't have gmail, I have email through work, so I doubt the google sync would be for me after reading about it.

    What is the advantage to Opera Mini or the standard browser?
    With Opera Mini you can easily browse All Websites. Give it an install and try it out.
  6. TheSultan's Avatar
    The Sultan of CrackBerry

    Posts
    5,530 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,634 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weapon30 View Post
    1) My phone would not sync up with my desktop manager software (4.7). It would show on my desktop manager: Device Connected (PIN): None. MY IT guy at work switched me back to the 4.6 version of the software. So far, I haven't had any problems. The only issue is that this version does not include media manager. My other issue is I tried to download a theme and after reading some threads, I read that you had to have the 4.7 version. Is this true? Are there any themes that you can download and transfer to the phone with the 4.6 version.
    The switch to 4.6 on DM was a good move. You don't need Media Manager, it's slow as h*ll and doesn't provide anything different, just a different interface. It's worthless IMO.

    You can load themes now, just be sure that you're loading a theme for your correct device, and your correct OS.
  7. jyoonie's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    i'm running 4.7 and i seem to not have any problems
    the apps are all good but i wish they'd be a bit more advanced. they seem to have the most basic features and i think they can do better..not that i'm not satisfied with my apps..i love them all!
  8. Weapon30's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    132 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post

    You can load themes now, just be sure that you're loading a theme for your correct device, and your correct OS.

    My device and OS were correct for the theme I tried to download. I just couldn't because of the desktop manager version.
  9. CrackberryKitt's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    50 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    I love google mobile with voice search too. Pocket express is fine, but its only free for a while then you have to pay for various content. Don't forget to get the crackberry launcher! NFL and Sprint cup mobile of you are into sports.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  10. lilasiangal2009's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    16 Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Open your browser: Smartphones, Cell Phones & Smart Phones at BlackBerry.com from your BB, it will have the apps that you need for your BB. I downloaded Viigo also & it's nicer than Pocket Express.
  11. jeeptp75's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    14 Posts
    #11  

    Default How do you download applications?

    Sorry I just got the phone yesterday from a friend, no manual as of yet but am wondering how do you download applications?

    Thank You!
  12. Krashedin2u's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    244 Posts
    #13  

    Default

    When you plugged your phone in with 4.7 and it asked you to enter mass storage mode what did you say? I found with 4.7 if you say yes it will hang up the program. Either doing nothing or saying No works for me.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  13. Krashedin2u's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    244 Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Also don't confuse DM version 4.7 with your operating system #

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  14. LULU_BERRY's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    104 Posts
    PIN
    Ask for PIN if you want to contact me.
    #15  

    Default

    I recommend the following apps myself.

    Anagram
    ZonaSnap
    BB File Scout
    GPS Logger
    Free Tips
    Quick Pull

    I use these quite often and they all work great for me. I have no theme on my BB. Guess you can say I am more of an app person.
    Last edited by LULU_BERRY; 07-15-2009 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Forgot an app in the list.
    My BlackBerry 8350I name is HAL.
  15. LULU_BERRY's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    104 Posts
    PIN
    Ask for PIN if you want to contact me.
    #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krashedin2u View Post
    When you plugged your phone in with 4.7 and it asked you to enter mass storage mode what did you say? I found with 4.7 if you say yes it will hang up the program. Either doing nothing or saying No works for me.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I agree... I always say "no" when plugging in my BB with desktop 4.7
    My BlackBerry 8350I name is HAL.

Posting Permissions