CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Got the new Nextel Blackberry 8350i as a Gift - Help Me Resolve Text Mesgs & Internet

Please help me! I was so excited to receive this BB 8350i as a gift. I have the $99 Nextel Simply Everything Plan with Direct Connect. I have tried to read many postings on this forum already but so far, none has helped my issues. So that is why I am starting a new thread hoping one of you will be able to me out. It is a brand new BB 8350i and I am already having issues:
    1. Can't Receive/Send Text Mesgs (Have SMS icon, but cant do anything with it; no option to send MMS; I tried to send text mesg from the Sprint/Nextel website to my BB but never received the text mesg. It displays this error message when sending text message: No message services configured. You will only be able to Save Draft.)
    2. Can't Connect to Internet (Have Mobile Network & displays that it needs WIFI).
    3. Cant Setup Personal Email Account (Email Setup states: I Want to use a work email account with a BlackBerry Enterprise Server. Then it displays this question: Has your BlackBerry Enterprise Server administrator provided you with an Enterprise Activation password?)

Background information if needed to help me resolve these issues: I used to have the Nextel i860 and put that SIM card into this new BB 8350i and all my Contacts successfully copied over with some minor glitches which I need to correct it manually. I am able to make and receive calls. I have the latest BB Software 4.6.1.204 (316).

Services Status:
    Mobile Voice:
    Connection: Mobile Network
    BlackBerry Internet Service:
    Connection: not connected
    BlackBerry Enterprise Server:
    Mobile Network
    NXTL
    Mobile Network Provider
    NEXTEL
    Wi-Fi Network
    Active Profile: not connected
    SSID: not connected
    Type: not connected
    Bluetooth
    Off

For some reason, I tried to register the IMEI online but it states is already activated. How can this new BB 8350i IMEI be already registered since it is brand new? The Nextel Store Rep says that it is registered under someone's else name and they can't change the name under the IMEI, I need help in changing that registration name to my account name. Is there a workaround that?

Dont See this --> Go to Options>MMS settings and make sure "Auto Receive" is set to ALWAYS (by default it is set at NEVER)

Please help me!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,436 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin:20f8132c

well you might need to take it to a sprint service and repair center, they can check out the imei info and tell you what you can do but if thats all good then you might need a compatible sim. lots of us have had our old sims for years and the one you have may not be allowing you to get all the services. i have seen this happen only a few times but it has been a reason before. sorry its so late in nyc and i cant go back and forth with you but check out the sticky's on this forum. you might come across some info and tips to getting things working if you are going to be up! Welcome to the Home of the 8350i here at crackberry! we are always here to help when we can! I will check back again in the morning! hopefully by then things will have been squared away already! Enjoy your new CrackBerry! It'll be up and running in no time!

I'm Far Away from My Crackberry Mobile device But I'm Also handling Some Personal Business. Please remain Focused!
    ~Jlj
    He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
    ~Einstien
    CrackBerry Master

Your old sim card won't work right. You need to new one to properly register it. I did the same thing and it screwed me up rolaly

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

and the biggest thing, once you get it to work, call NEXTEL and have them put the BlackBerry (BB) provisioning on your account.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    720 Global Posts

I think you've gotten your answers here. The Blackberry isn't just a smart phone. Blackberry services are unique to blackberry phones, and need to be turned on for the device to function appropriately.
    You'll likely need a BB8350i Sim (which they ship with, so no idea why yours was gone) and then you'll need to tell Nextel that you're on a blackberry now. Even though you're paying for 'everything', until they activate the blackberry services for your phone you won't see them operate.

Good Luck!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,638 Global Posts
    PIN
    E CONES

If you got it as a gift, check eBay for an 8350i SPECIFIC SIM card. Otherwise check with your local Sprint store. The one closest to my house doesn't carry them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

i am having the same problem, please help!!!!
    CrackBerry Genius

posts 2-5 are your answers, sorry there is nothing more to be able to tell you
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,460 Global Posts
    PIN
    Send me a PM

Since you got it as a gift, its probably still attached to that persons account. (If they bought it from Sprint)
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,436 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin:20f8132c

be nice to have an update from the thread starter!
    LOL...

I'm Far Away from My Crackberry Mobile device But I'm Also handling Some Personal Business. Please remain Focused!
    ~Jlj
    He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
    ~Einstien
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Default Got the new Nextel Blackberry 8350i as a Gift - Resolved Issue

Okay, gals/guys! Sorry the delayed replied since I don't login into this site during working hours. Thanks to everyone's suggestion, here is what I did today:
    Called another Sprint store & a guy said he would give me a FREE SIM card for this BB 8350i. Then got to that store & found out it was their way to get me into their store. Unfortunately, he provided a fake name & there was no one by that name. But he agreed to help resolve the issue by fixing the BB since it had missing service books & wasn't registered under my acct. After finding out that I am not under any 2 yr contract, he said that he would exchange my phone for another phone. But I didn't want to get stuck w/ contract. So I made a deal with him & he said that if I signed up 2 BBs, then it would solve the problem. In the end, my phone was fixed & I got 2nd BB 8350i & also signed up for 2 contracts on 2 different phones. The 2nd phone will be used by someone who also wanted this BB 8350i.

After this experience, I learned that buying this BB on Craigslists was not a good idea even though, I saved a little bit money but also spent a lot of time reading these forums to resolve my issue.

Initially, I wanted to get the BB 8350i's issues resolved before switching over to Boost Mobile b/c Boost Mobile has a new great Unlimited Plan for only $50 (includes unlimited minutes, web, text mesgs) and runs on Nextel Network since Boost Mobile is owned by Sprint. I have been reading the Boost Mobile & Crackberry forums on how make the BB 8350i work on Boost Mobile. From the many posts, it sounds like that BB 8350i might work but maybe not all features will work.

Right now, I am able to:
    1. Send MMS but can't receive text message (*Shrug* -- Need to read more Crackberry Posts to find a solution). My workaround solution for now is to use AIM to send text mesg.
    2. Call & Receive Calls (This feature was fine previously)
    3. Use Internet
    4. Instant Message (Yahoo & Aim, Haven't played with Google Talk or BB Messenger)
    5. Access Voice Mail (This feature was fine previously)
    6. Telenav (Is working)
    7. Pocket Express (Is working)
    8. Maps (Is working)
    9. Email (Is not working--Cant Setup Personal Email Account (Email Setup states: I Want to use a work email account with a BlackBerry Enterprise Server. Then it displays this question: Has your BlackBerry Enterprise Server administrator provided you with an Enterprise Activation password?)

Thanks for all your suggestions!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Glad to see you got most of the things working.

As for the email, DOES your work have the BES? If not, go the BIS route. I've done that for a bunch of my co-workers and we ALL get our work email that way. As a friend of mine would say, no muss, no fuss

Welcome to the addiction
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Yes, I'm slowly getting addicted already! hehehe I am not sure if my work has BES since I'm not planning to connect my work email to this BB. I do have BIS. I guess when I do need my work email on my BB then I'll have our IT person set it up.

Anyways, my new BB is almost complete because the past few days, I have added more needed bells & whistles:
    1. Added the Yahoo Email Icon: it displays any new emails from Y! (I found a workaround to get my Yahoo Email Icon: www dot blackberry dot com / yahoo / mail <-- type this URL (w/ no spaces & replace "dot" with a period) on your BB, then it will take you step-by-step. For some reason, I'm still unable to do Email Setup via "Setup" on BB).
    2. Viigo
    3. Bookmarked all my regular website links on BB Browser

I still can't receive text mesg via BB. But found a workaround for it (temp solution), I send my text mesg via my Yahoo email acct but you need to know which wireless service: www dot sms411 dot net / 2006 / 07 / how-to-send-email-to-phone dot html (w/ no spaces & replace "dot" with a period)

If you don't know which wireless your buddies subscribe to, then send them an email/call them to find out then you'll be set to utilize any email client: Google, Yahoo, Hotmail or other free Email clients to receive your text mesg sent to your BB.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by lilasiangal2009 View Post
    Please help me! I was so excited to receive this BB 8350i as a gift. I have the $99 Nextel Simply Everything Plan with Direct Connect. I have tried to read many postings on this forum already but so far, none has helped my issues. So that is why I am starting a new thread hoping one of you will be able to me out. It is a brand new BB 8350i and I am already having issues:
    1. Can't Receive/Send Text Mesgs (Have SMS icon, but cant do anything with it; no option to send MMS; I tried to send text mesg from the Sprint/Nextel website to my BB but never received the text mesg. It displays this error message when sending text message: No message services configured. You will only be able to Save Draft.)
    2. Can't Connect to Internet (Have Mobile Network & displays that it needs WIFI).
    3. Cant Setup Personal Email Account (Email Setup states: I Want to use a work email account with a BlackBerry Enterprise Server. Then it displays this question: Has your BlackBerry Enterprise Server administrator provided you with an Enterprise Activation password?)

Background information if needed to help me resolve these issues: I used to have the Nextel i860 and put that SIM card into this new BB 8350i and all my Contacts successfully copied over with some minor glitches which I need to correct it manually. I am able to make and receive calls. I have the latest BB Software 4.6.1.204 (316).

Services Status:
    Mobile Voice:
    Connection: Mobile Network
    BlackBerry Internet Service:
    BlackBerry Enterprise Server:
    Mobile Network
    NXTL
    Mobile Network Provider
    NEXTEL
    Wi-Fi Network
    Active Profile: not connected
    SSID: not connected
    Type: not connected
    Bluetooth
    Off

For some reason, I tried to register the IMEI online but it states is already activated. How can this new BB 8350i IMEI be already registered since it is brand new? The Nextel Store Rep says that it is registered under someone's else name and they can't change the name under the IMEI, I need help in changing that registration name to my account name. Is there a workaround that?

Dont See this --> Go to Options>MMS settings and make sure "Auto Receive" is set to ALWAYS (by default it is set at NEVER)

Please help me!
    I actually had the same issue and the same plan, but when they transferred the information from my old phone (nextel i730), they didn't put it on the Blackberry network. I was able to use my old sim card with no problem, once I was put on the Blackberry network, it was fine. The only issue I was having was with the text messaging. Which I hope to have resolved by downloading the lastest update yesterday. I was having to take the battery out every morning to get the text messaging to work. Basically, it was as though I had to reboot it every morning. I just looked at it as a minor issue, nothing major to get alarmed about. I only hope that I continue to be pleased with it. I've had it since Jan 11
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

Thanks for the tip! I really need to either go back to Sprint/Nextel store or call their uneducated reps for help on this text mesg issue. I still can't receive text mesg via MMS/SMS, but can send text mesg via MMS/SMS. Currently, my workaround is using Yahoo email to send text mesg to people then it alerts me on my BB on Yahoo email icon.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by lilasiangal2009 View Post
    Thanks for the tip! I really need to either go back to Sprint/Nextel store or call their uneducated reps for help on this text mesg issue. I still can't receive text mesg via MMS/SMS, but can send text mesg via MMS/SMS. Currently, my workaround is using Yahoo email to send text mesg to people then it alerts me on my BB on Yahoo email icon.

Please do this: go to options-> advanced options -> host routing table -> menu button -> register now.

Allow that send and see if MMS pops up. If it does not do a battery pull. If issue is still there do this next.

options -> security options -> general settings -> menu button -> master radio reset -> type in 000000 (thats six zeros) -> back out of all menus -> wait for reception to either say off or have an x next to it -> battery pull.

If that does not resolve the issue please visit your nearest Sprint/Nextel repair center for help on this issue.

-sources: Sprint service and repair manager for over 2 years.
    CrackBerry Newbie

i have the same issue, got same phone from ebay, i do have unlimited data plan...they said they activated that the imei # was fine...anyway...only thing i can do is make calls n direct connect...nothing else!! and the browser is fixed in hotspot!! please help!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Adriana Burga View Post
    i have the same issue, got same phone from ebay, i do have unlimited data plan...
    You have unlimited plan for Nextel or Boost Mobile? (I ask because Nextel will be out of service in a few months, so I can't imagine they are signing up new customers.) If you have a Nextel phone on the Boost Mobile plan like I used to, you need to follow the Boostberry tutorial instructions in this thread. But the same applies, that IDEN network won't have service for much longer from what I hear. I went to a Blackberry 9310 through Boost Mobile, on the Sprint Network, and I've been very happy with that.