Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By boss_hog
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default The End Of Nextel

Sprint has finally, announced the end of the Nextel network, 30th June 2013. I still use my i60 & have my 8350i as a back up.

http://cnnmon.ie/LkFHnY
    CrackBerry User

chirp chirp....what an obnoxious device. Wont be missed.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I got a courtesy message a few weeks back on my Boostberry, telling me they were starting to take down duplicate Nextel towers. But (supposedly) my iDen Boost service shouldn't be negatively affected right now, in my area anyway.

You only appreciate the Nextel "chirp" if you've ever used it, especially for work. Then it becomes fairly addicting... more convenient for quick conversations rather than constantly making phone calls ("can you hear me now??") and nice Group Talk options so multiple parties can communicate all together.

I anticipate Sprint will come up with an alternative Direct Connect option by 6/2013.
    CrackBerry Abuser

They got that 2nd gen qcrap they are trying to get everyone onto , but its just like before if you. Go into roaming or don't use the. Chirp for a while you have to powercycle for it to work. Incoming dc hardly ever works. And of course your always roaming with sprint. The 8350i is one of my all times favorites. To bad it never got upgraded. It holds onto a call like a addict on a crack pipe.
    axllebeer likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,088 Global Posts
    PIN
    32E87D6D

Sorry to see it go. I've been away from Nextel for years, but I always appreciated its usefulness when I was using it. It would come in handy even now. But I know the position of many people on this board: the less options, the better. They're gleeful when another one gets taken away.
    CrackBerry User

I jumped ship earlier this year.

It worked fine for me since 08, the chirp was great for talking with other people and for traveling to NII countries. I had a Boost i855, then a Nextel i580, then the i1 and then the problems began.

The i1 was obsolete from day 1 but Motorola hid that from the customers, I don't fully regret buying that phone, but sometimes I do regret not getting an 8350i instead. Data was slow, a pain to use, there were constant error messages. And I believe that Sprint deliberately crippled the network to force people to get a CDMA device. When Hurricane Alex hit Monterrey 2 years ago our only internet connection was my dad's 8350i running on the NII network and the speeds were much higher than the i1 on Sprint's network. Even when I brought my i1 down to Mexico it worked much faster.

Ultimately, the fact that my phone stopped working around my apartment (and in general it only worked in open areas), coupled with the fact that most of my DC contacts left Nextel and went to other providers drove me to buy an 8530 with Virgin. I still kept my Nextel for a few months but then ended up cancelling it since it was useless. I thought about waiting for them to send me a letter about them shutting down the towers so I could talk to some manager and convince them to give me a super discounted Nexus or a Bold, but couldn't wait that long.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by N467RX View Post
    I thought about waiting for them to send me a letter about them shutting down the towers so I could talk to some manager and convince them to give me a super discounted Nexus or a Bold, but couldn't wait that long.
    I'm still holding out for this option.

I think the usefulness (or uselessness) of the remaining iDen network depends on your location, and so far my area of IL still has decent Nextel/Boost service. For now...
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by scottydl View Post
    I'm still holding out for this option.

I think the usefulness (or uselessness) of the remaining iDen network depends on your location, and so far my area of IL still has decent Nextel/Boost service. For now...
    Oh, I had great service around my offroading playground, but in the city it was already getting bad. I couldn't use my phone indoors and around certain areas of the city. Basically I had a voicemail device that I could use to return calls at my convenience*

*iDEN Coverage depending.

Realistically speaking if this transition had happened last year I'd still have a Sprint phone, but a combination of factors drove me to switching to a prepaid BB. In the end, a $35 plan from VM was all I needed for my day to day use, and for when I travel to Mexico, I decided to get an 8520 and a prepaid plan with Telcel which I can activate at my convenience, so if I maintain a $20 MXN balance monthly (or add $20 monthly, don't remember) I can keep my line active, then I can get a 30day/3GB BIS package for $500 MXN and activate it by SMS. The $500 MXN comes out to $37 using today's exchange rate, so it's not too bad. By doing this I have no need for international roaming anymore, which was my excuse for keeping a contract phone.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Right, the other aspect keeping me with iDen for now is Boost's Unlimited Monthly "Shrinkage" plan. I'm down to $40/month and will soon drop to $35/month for unlimited everything. No 3G/4G data speeds but I don't need it... nor does anyone, really. We all have computers for a reason.

I'm hoping that when the time comes, Sprint will transfer my account to the CDMA side and let me keep the monthly rate I'm paying. Plus give me a decent phone at a discounted price for my troubles.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Ah the end is even nearer... Boost is now pricing the rest of us pay-as-you-go iDen users out of the market:

http://msg4u.us/pi3 (texts/call minutes going from 10 cents to 25 cents each!)

So I'll pull the trigger and go CDMA on my minute phone here, but what make/model? I don't need anything fancy. My other Boostberry is Unlimited and I'll keep that one for now, until I have no more options.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    623 Global Posts

what's Nextel..? lol..
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Maxey05 View Post
    what's Nextel..? lol..
    It's the phone carrier (Boost in my case, on Nextel network) that I only pay $35/month for Unlimited Usage!! And around $5/month for my backup phone that's on a per minute/text prepaid plan. Hence the reason I would really like to transfer that deal over to Sprint.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    623 Global Posts

It's the phone carrier (Boost in my case, on Nextel network) that I only pay $35/month for Unlimited Usage!! And around $5/month for my backup phone that's on a per minute/text prepaid plan. Hence the reason I would really like to transfer that deal over to Sprint.
    I was only kidding. Nextel just seems ancient at this point and time. But it would be awesome if they still had plans at that price!..
    CrackBerry Abuser

Right I'm just referring to why I'm still hanging on like a cave bat.

Global Posts
    30,947 Global Posts
    PIN
    In Semi-retirement

They're ditching Nextel because in a data-centric world, it is a dinosaur. They'll use the bandwidth to expand LTE services, after thankfully abandoning WiMax. Yeah, that doesn't help those of us who have WiMax phones, but in the future, it assures that folks will be able to data-roam because they don't use a unique technology, and should expand handset choices as time passes.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I get the technology behind it, but it stinks for price purposes. Personally I think that anyone who pays upwards of $100/month for a cell phone is downright nuts. Yet millions of people do it, and they flock to the stores to throw down $600 for every new iPhone that comes out.
    CrackBerry Abuser

And the final blow... a message to my Monthly Unlimited Boostberry today, saying all plans will increase by $10/month unless I switch that one to the CDMA side also. They are forcing everyone over now.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,978 Global Posts
    PIN
    797F4953 Tab 3

And the final blow... a message to my Monthly Unlimited Boostberry today, saying all plans will increase by $10/month unless I switch that one to the CDMA side also. They are forcing everyone over now.
    Damn, a $10 increase to NOT switch?! You would think it was the other was around but looks like they are REALLY pushing people off of iDEN.
    Phone too slow? Then you need Flow.

The World's Most Fabulous Crack-Droid!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Re: The End Of Nextel

Yeah no kidding. They aren't exactly wooing customers to stay... ALTHOUGH I will admit that I have since purchased a 9310 (got a killer deal on it from Boost ordering over the phone) and switched to the CDMA Sprint side of Boost. The service has been great, and my plan actually went down to $30/month since I was already 18+ months into Shrinkage and I only needed Talk/Text and not the full BB plan. $30/month for unlimited talk and text just can't be beat.

My pay-as-you-go Boost (8350i), on the other hand, I am dumping. I cannot justify 20 cents per minute/text plus having pay $50+ for a decent phone. I am going to Tracfone with that account... there are a lot of decent Tracfones for less than $50... although I am undecided if I want a "smart" model with wifi capabilities for this phone that doesn't get used much. Unfortunately no BB's available on Tracfone.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,978 Global Posts
    PIN
    797F4953 Tab 3

There are times that I miss my 8350i, it was pretty rock solid for me and was a workhorse. But I won't miss the data speeds, (or lack there of). I still have it and it works but every time I pull it out I find that whatever I got it out to do, it is so aged that I have another device that will better suit that need. Nextel was awesome at what it did and those that never had Nextel just don't get it. And that's ok. Much like I never had the Storm so I don't get that. I lift my glass to you Nextel, you will be missed.
    Phone too slow? Then you need Flow.

The World's Most Fabulous Crack-Droid!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by axllebeer View Post
    Nextel was awesome at what it did and those that never had Nextel just don't get it. . . I lift my glass to you Nextel, you will be missed.
    Ah yes, very true. I concur.