CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default 8350i ip address

i got a question about the ip address now if i would send a e mail from my blackberry is there any way to find out that i sent it from my blackberry and not my gmail e mail on my pc?
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ask for PIN if you want to contact me.

If I recall correctly. If you send an e-mail via your BlackBerry there would be a signature below in the reply or sent e-mail saying for example. "Sent by my BlackBerry smart phone by ****." (***= the carrier you are using.) I think that can be disabled.
    Last edited by LULU_BERRY; 06-21-2009 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Spelling Error
    My BlackBerry 8350I name is HAL.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

hmm yea i agree see i ask becasue i have a dilema with a court case i'm saying i was somewhere and i was on my pc at the time talking to my teacher for a fact but i want to make sure they don't try to say well how do we know you didn't send it from your phone
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    PIN
    283B0144

If you have a wireless router at home, you can find the mac address. Now I don't know if it works like an ip address or if its unique to the device.
    Last edited by Teknojnky; 06-23-2009 at 09:24 AM.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Teknojnky View Post
    If you have a wireless router at home, you can find the mac address. Now I don't know if it works like an ip address or if its unique to the device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

hmm ok is that hard to find i do have a wireless router
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ask for PIN if you want to contact me.

Quote Originally Posted by fazeizme View Post
    hmm ok is that hard to find i do have a wireless router
    It might be on the manufactures label of the router. Granted... I am taking a guess. As for your "court issue." There has been plenty of times I have been at my laptop, my BlackBerry tells me I have an e-mail. And instead of going to my hotmail on my laptop to check & reply, I use my BlackBerry. I am sure I am not the only person that has done this.
    My BlackBerry 8350I name is HAL.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by LULU_BERRY View Post
    It might be on the manufactures label of the router. Granted... I am taking a guess. As for your "court issue." There has been plenty of times I have been at my laptop, my BlackBerry tells me I have an e-mail. And instead of going to my hotmail on my laptop to check & reply, I use my BlackBerry. I am sure I am not the only person that has done this.
    well the confusing comes in the first one i did respond from my blackberry and it had sent from blackbery now 2 min later i responded again but it didn't have sent from my blackberry i know the first e mail i sent was from my blackberry becasue i was not at my laptop but then 2 minutes later i was there trying to say i was in a whole different location not even in my house lmao
    CrackBerry Genius

menu
    options
    status.....

there it tells your your MAC address and you "External" IP address..... your IP address is when your connected to a router. your EXTERNAL IP is the BB IP address
    CrackBerry Abuser

I'm a bit confused as to what exactly you're doing. If you're asking if it's possible to prove whether you sent an email from your phone or from another computer then the answer is yes. While the external IP address you have now is probably different than it was a few days ago, IP addresses are owned by the agencies who give them out - so your wireless carrier has the address associated with your Blackberry and whoever provides the Internet access for the PC (Comcast, for example) would have the IP address associated with that connection. Note that the MAC address is different, first it's not commonly stored in most logs outside the adjacent routers and it can also only tell you what device you connected to the Internet with but not where it was connected.

If it's a court case, you're in the US, and you have a competent lawyer tell them the truth and it's up to them to prove your version false (assuming you're the defendant) - but check with this competent lawyer first and make sure he knows that they can tell from the headers where it was sent. If your story isn't exactly true it's probably better to come clean since the email headers will probably give you away if the prosecution has a slight clue about what they're doing. And if the case is important enough Google will give them the information they need to prove what happened and your carrier could even tell you where your cell phone was.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

ahh cool so i can get all that information from google and my cell phone carrier thanks that's what i needed to know
    CrackBerry Abuser

Let us know how you fare getting the information yourself. It's available to the prosecution if they have a court order, but I'm interested to know if you can request that information yourself without one (as the owner of the account in question you should be able to from a moral standpoint). Obviously while the technical information in my posts should be correct, any legal advice is best left to your lawyer!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

nope you can't get it got to get a supena i just called.. since i have gps on my phone they said they can track where i was but i forgot to ask can they track the phone even if it wasn't used?
    CrackBerry Abuser

I was afraid of that. As long as your phone was on and had a signal they should be able to. Now the accuracy may be another issue - if you were close to the building where the computer was it's still a matter of debate as to where you really where.

Assuming you're the defendant I'd also confirm with your lawyer but it should be the job of the prosecution to say that you weren't where you say you are - and the way they'd do that is getting a subpoena for the information you just wanted to get anyway.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

yea i feel ya well i mean i have like 4 witness stating where i was i just thought this piece of information would be helpful as well
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    720 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fazeizme View Post
    yea i feel ya well i mean i have like 4 witness stating where i was i just thought this piece of information would be helpful as well
    Technology can fail, (for example, sprint family locator is NOT very accurate) and if you have 4 eye witnesses you should be fine. IP's dont nail you down to an address necessarily, just a provider who 'should' be able to tell who's cable modem it came from. But honestly, I can drag my cable modem to anywhere in my providers service area and it'll come online, so it's not a great burden of proof.

Good Luck, I think the electronic information you're looking for can be had, but since you're still free to type on a pc, I'm guessing it isn't a high felony so it probably isn't worth pursuing.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

it's a high felony i guess the other side doesn't know i have this evidence yet lol i mean it's hard to do what they say i did and be typing and talking to my teacher at the time weither it was on a pc or the phone