Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Trying to switch to a different network after unlocking my SIM

A few weeks ago I unlocked my SIM card (both MEP2 and MEP4) in the hopes that I would be able to switch to a different network because MTS (Canada, not Russia) sucks a lot. However when I do a manual search for different networks it only finds Bell and TELUS. When I try to switch to Bell it generally just shows an "x" and when I try to switch to TELUS it usually shows "sos" or just the signal bars but no 3G with the Blackberry symbol. Is there another step I'm missing? I have found the APN thing, but I don't know if I have to change that, and I'm afraid to just do that myself, because if it doesn't work then changing it back to the MTS one might not work either and then I'd have no internet. Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance.
    CrackBerry's Sour Grape

Global Posts
    7,201 Global Posts

are you using a Bell or Telus sim?
    you cant just unlock the phone and put it on a different network
    BIG UP BIG UP, ITS A STICK UP STICK UP
    @Fubaz
    Editor for BerryReview @BerryReview
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

It's an MTS phone, so it's an MTS SIM card. But I thought that the whole point of unlocking the SIM card was to be able to use it on different networks. People say that after unlocking their SIM card they were able to avoid roaming charges by being able to switch to a local network when they were outside their country. If unlocking the SIM card doesn't let you use different networks, then what's the point of unlocking it?