CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Trackpad Problem outside

Hello,

Firstly, I am new to the crackberry.com website and want to thank everyone for their knowledge and posts.

I recently purchased my first blackberry a curve 3G about 3 weeks ago from Wind Mobile. At first everything with the trackpad seemed okay. However lately I have noticed that when I am outside in sunlight (or even if it's bright with clouds) the cursor from the trackpad just shoots straight up. When i am replying to a text or email it just keeps shooting the cursor to the top. It's really frustrating and seems to be getting worse. I am beginning to think this is a defect in the trackpad since my girlfriends bold trackpad works fine outside in direct sunlight.

I took the phone into my carrier's store to try to get it repaired. They put in a new sim card saying this would fix the problem. It didn't. They then wiped to the original OS saying it would fix the problem. It didn't. My provider then stated that it's normal for the trackpad to do this when it's hot outside and there was nothing else they could do. They said the trackpad works because of heat.

It only goes crazy in 1 direction and that's straight up. Not to the left or the right. If it was truly a "heat" it would go all over the place.

Does anyone had similar issues to this when they used their trackpad outside on a bright day.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    10,172 Global Posts

It's an OPTICAL trackpad. Sunlight is likely to affect it. It's not the heat.

But maybe it is defective. Do you have problems indoors?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

It does occasionally shoot straight up indoors as well.This is way more random and infrequent. I also find it more difficult to scroll down than up but that's hard to prove and could be anything. As soon as I step outside and the trackpad sees any sort of daylight the cursor will automatically go up.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Re: Trackpad Problem outside

Hey there I know this topic is old, but I realized something after owning my BB 9300 (Curve 3g) for a long time.

First off, the track pad started off great. About a few weeks later, it started shooting up too. I hated that, but I liked my BB too much to let it go. About a year later, the clear plastic covering came off of the track pad; only the purple track pad itself was left. It barely worked at all so I put some plastic packing tape on it. It worked, and the shooting up stopped! Well.. it stopped for a few weeks.. then I had to put on a new piece of packing tape. I can conclude, at least for my BB Curve 3g, that the plastic covering/tape over the track pad has to be pristine and perfect or else the cursor will go bonkers. I can see why so many "defective" phones got sent out.. RIM probably did product testing and everything came back normal.. but extended testing would've shown the defect.