CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Removing screen protector residue from glass

Hey everyone first let me start off by saying I love the site and a few days ago i bought my very first Blackberry. The 3G curve Loving it the phone has actually changed my life its an awesome piece of kit.

Now on to the problem, tonight i was trying to put a screen protector on it and realised that it A) didn't fit and B) looked rubbish, so i took it off but now i am left with a few big globs of glue some of which some what obscure the screen. i know im stupid and should never have put it on in the first place but its done.... so i ask is there any way to get the glue off the screen? i have tried rubbing it with a screen cleaner and wetting a cloth but no joy>

Please please please help me.

thanks so much in advance

Will.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,984 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Moonshine Please.

I think you should just throw the thing in the garbage.

Nah...have you tried a small amount of glass cleaner, maybe on a cutip or micro fiber cloth to see if that will loosen the glue? Just make sure to keep the moisture level very low and do not spray any liquids directly onto the screen. Additionally, do not use excessive pressure when rubbing over the glue as this could scratch the screen or cause internal damage.
    "When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down."
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by DawgMan View Post
    I think you should just throw the thing in the garbage.

Nah...have you tried a small amount of glass cleaner, maybe on a cutip or micro fiber cloth to see if that will loosen the glue? Just make sure to keep the moisture level very low and do not spray any liquids directly onto the screen. Additionally, do not use excessive pressure when rubbing over the glue as this could scratch the screen or cause internal damage.
    would window cleaner work?

also i have heard people suggest using Nail varnish remover?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default glue removal

I would not recommend nail polish remover as it can contain acetone which is not good with plastics. I would, however, recommend either WD-40, which works very well and is relatively safe on plastic, or isopropyl alcohol. Again, moisten your tissue or cotton swab to prevent excess liquid from seeping into the phone.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    PIN
    32A141B4

I think you should consult your manual or go into your local service center before putting any chemical cleaner on the device, if you dont know in advance what effect it will have on the lens. just my 2 cents
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    PM for it.

Use goo-gone with a qtip and it will remove just fine. I kinda did the same with mine and u can't even tell anything happened.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by mag0842 View Post
    Use goo-gone with a qtip and it will remove just fine. I kinda did the same with mine and u can't even tell anything happened.

thanks i have found a uk seller and im gonna give this a go. if this works im just warning you your gonna be my saviour.

Global Posts
    12,402 Global Posts
    PIN
    C0001F61B

I think the best thing to try first is Artval's 2nd suggestion above: alcohol, as pure as you can get. Look at pharmacies or medical supplies for pure alcohol, like 90%.

Alcohol will dry & disappear completely.
    Remember to wear gloves yourself!

PS please title your threads more relevantly so the Forums aren't full of threads just called "please help." "Please help - need to remove residue from screen" or the like would be better. That helps people with the answers find you, and people with the same issue find your thread too.

PPS Welcome to CB, and to life with BB altogether! When you get a chance, please update your profile with device, carrier, and location. This helps others assist you.
    See you in the Forums, Will!

Good luck!
    Saving the world, one OS at a time...

Follow Me On Twitter: @elite1_
    How to Lock/Password-Lock/Unlock for newer OS for Bold 99xx/97xx/9650, Torch 98xx, Tour 9630, Storm2, Curve 93xx/8900

Curve 8330Tour 9630Bold 9700Torch 9800Bold 9900Z10
    Z30
    psst... Here's THANKS button
    CrackBerry Addict

Dip a couple cotton balls in coke or pepsi and then whip off the glue

CrackBerry User

Hi I'm a newbie here just wondering did any of the above work?
    Janine

Global Posts
    12,402 Global Posts
    PIN
    C0001F61B

Quote Originally Posted by lax42 View Post
    Dip a couple cotton balls in coke or pepsi and then whip off the glue
    Are you one of the people that believe the email about the Highway Patrol using Coke to clean blood off the highway after an accident?

No matter how much you promise it's a swell idea, no way I'm rubbing a liquid partially constituted of sugar and caramel all over my screen to get rid of another sticky substance.
    Use my share to clean off your keyboard…
    Saving the world, one OS at a time...

Follow Me On Twitter: @elite1_
    How to Lock/Password-Lock/Unlock for newer OS for Bold 99xx/97xx/9650, Torch 98xx, Tour 9630, Storm2, Curve 93xx/8900

Curve 8330Tour 9630Bold 9700Torch 9800Bold 9900Z10
    Z30
    psst... Here's THANKS button
    CrackBerry Newbie

Goo-Gone would be your best bet. Goo Gone Cleaners It's always good to have around the house.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I replaced the lens over the LCD, but it appeared that the entire thing was glued to the LCD display, not just the edges. I had to CAREFULLY heat it with a hair dryer in order to removed the scratched lens, but was left with adhesive covering the full surface of the display. I was successful removing the adhesive using a small piece of cotton similar to a diaper and cleaning fluid used on tape deck recording heads - remember them? My guess is that the cleaning fluid is very similar to denatured alcohol.

Like it says above, wet the cloth, not the screen. I had to be patient, but found that the best result was to keep cleaning in one direction only and being sure to not let it fully dry until clean.

The end result was all adhesive was removed and the display cleaned up great with no hint of adhesive or cleaning fluid. I installed the new lens with the adhesive that came with it and the final product was like new.

Good luck
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by WillMcCaskie View Post
    Hey everyone first let me start off by saying I love the site and a few days ago i bought my very first Blackberry. The 3G curve Loving it the phone has actually changed my life its an awesome piece of kit.

Now on to the problem, tonight i was trying to put a screen protector on it and realised that it A) didn't fit and B) looked rubbish, so i took it off but now i am left with a few big globs of glue some of which some what obscure the screen. i know im stupid and should never have put it on in the first place but its done.... so i ask is there any way to get the glue off the screen? i have tried rubbing it with a screen cleaner and wetting a cloth but no joy>

Please please please help me.

thanks so much in advance

Will.
    best way to remove glue is oil, a tiny bit of WD40 on a clean lens cloth or even cooking oil will do the trick
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

I just cleaned my storm screen and I used Hydrogen Peroxide. I put very little pressure and used a damp Kleenex. the glue came right off. I just Hydrogen Peroxide because I had no alcohol and Kleenex because I had no Q-tips. The screen looks great ..