Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tessbraidner
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default My battery keeps running low quickly, even when i wipe my phone, how come?

Someone mentioned on this site that one reason as to why one's battery could be running low so fast is because of the apps of their phone and that they should wipe their phone. I've done this multiple times and restored any necessary files i wanted and sometimes it has worked - the battery didn't run low as quickly, but then it would start running low again quickly, even when i wipe my phone again. Why is this? (I should also mention that this is happening mysteriously when the phone is on standby as well as when i'm using it.)

Thanks in advance.

Global Posts
    35,133 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin:tang

It's probably the signal, especially if you're running it without any 3rd party apps. That could be hardware, OS or environment. Could also be the battery at fault. What's your signal quality, network/wifi, age of the phone/battery, time from full to discharged and OS version?
    WAPers do it With A Passion

Z/Q Warrior ..` `..` `..` `.. `.. Born to  ..` `..` `..` `..` `.. Upgrade Guide

BB10 - If you don't, kittens will die .................................................. ......................................Kevin - "I call you the PITA I love"

Global Posts
    31,008 Global Posts
    PIN
    In Semi-retirement

How old is the battery? If more than a year old, and you've had enough charging cycles, it's possibly time for a replacement. They don't last forever....
    Report Button, not just for the bad things!
    Devices: SPH-A620/VGA 1000, Sanyo Katana, BlackBerry 8330, 9630, 9670, MB855 Photon, SPH-L710 Galaxy SIII. SPH-L720 Galaxy S4
    Bacon is duct tape for food!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

My blackberry is about eight months old. My OS version is 6 and i'm not connected to any Wifi at the mo. My network is Optus, Boost (an Australian network, but i return to the UK in Jan, so i'm back to the O2 network again). With regards to my signal, it says that there is no coverage, but my signal bars are at its highest. Sometimes it takes less than a day before i have to recharge again, even when i'm not using the phone it can run down quickly. And then other times it seems fine. I've deleted a few apps to see if it helps, and i left my phone on most of last night to see if it had died when i woke in the morning. The phone was still on. Maybe deleting some of the apps helped, but i don't want to speak too soon! I don't know what things are in the apps that could be causing the phone to drain so quickly, especially when it's happening just after i wipe my phone. Maybe i'm thinking in the wrong direction completely!!!
    Thanks for your help so far!

Global Posts
    35,133 Global Posts
    PIN

8 months is quick for a battery, but not out of the realm of possibility. The apps should all come off, and be added back 2-3 at a time, so you can pinpoint if one is the issue. Wiping isn't solving a dang thing, though changing OS may help. No service means it's hunting for some, and while the bars look lovely, until they're connected, they mean nothing. Tops though on my list, if the battery lasts all day, there's no problem with it at all.

Z/Q Warrior ..` `..` `..` `.. `.. Born to  ..` `..` `..` `..` `.. Upgrade Guide

BB10 - If you don't, kittens will die .................................................. ......................................Kevin - "I call you the PITA I love"
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

It seems to be running down pretty quickly again. This happens on and off, sometimes the phone lasts, like, a few weeks ago it lasted extremely well with me listening to music, using BBM and so on but then i charged it once it died and it went back to the battery running low quickly again. I'll try removing all the apps then installing them three at a time. But maybe it is an OS problem...? So maybe i need to update my OS? There's a thread on here that tells me how to do that, yeah?
    Thanks a lot for your help so far!

Global Posts
    35,133 Global Posts
    PIN

Still not sure you have an issue, other than not showing a network. Can you make calls while it says that?

Here's a good upgrade guide:

Quote Originally Posted by elite1 View Post
    ELITE1's OS UPGRADE GUIDE

1. (Optional) Uninstall any previous OS from PC.
    2. Download OS to PC. Use Internet Explorer, not Firefox or Chrome. (For leaked versions, browser is irrelevant.)
      *If 100% certain you've previously used FF or Chrome on same PC to DL an OS successfully, feel free to use FF or Chrome again.
    3. Following successful DL, run OS file to install OS on PC.
    4. On BB, go to BBM Options, scroll down to Backup section. Ensure Remote Backup is enabled AND also conduct a Local Backup to media card.
    5. Go through any 3rd party apps with option to save settings to media card. Conduct Backup to media card within each of these apps. (Examples: Bellshare apps like BerryBuzz & BerryWeather; QuickLaunch; Shao's apps like Wallpaper Changer & SixTools; etc).
    6. Connect BB to PC. Open DM and backup device. Close DM.
    7. (Optional) Use desktop app like BBSAK or BBMCP to backup 3rd party apps.
    8. On PC, delete Vendor file located here:
      •64-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader
      •32-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader
    9. (Optional/Recommended) Run BB Boss v2.2 or BBH Tool (formerly Shrink-A-OS).
    10. In same AppLoader file where you deleted Vendor, double-click Loader to load OS to BB. Follow onscreen instructions.
    11. After loading OS, perform several physical battery pulls over first 1-2 days for OS to "settle in." Perform first batt pull very soon after OS is loaded.

TROUBLESHOOTING
    How to Fix OS not Appearing as Available
    There are 2 common reasons:

A. HIDDEN VENDOR FILE
    Consider trying this new desktop app to remove Vendor from several common locations:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-files-709738/

If manually deleting Vendor, always hold down SHIFT and press DELETE to permanently delete.
    Check here first:
    •64-bit: Computer\C:\Users\{USER NAME}\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML
    •32-bit: Computer\C:\Documents and Settings\{USER NAME}\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML
    If Loader still doesn't make new OS available, search PC for "Vendor".

If Vendor is not found anywhere, see below to delete contents of AppLoader folder. (Folder where you found Loader & Vendor.)

B. APPLOADER FOLDER ITEMS
    1. Uninstall the OS: Control Panel\Programs and Features, highlight this BlackBerry Device Software, click Uninstall at top.
    2. Delete AppLoader folder contents: Highlight any item, CTRL+A to select all, SHIFT+DELETE to permanently delete.
      •64-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader
      •32-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader
    3. Restart PC.
    4. Re-install OS on PC: Go to your browser's downloads section, double-click OS to start InstallShield Wizard.
    5. Delete Vendor: Return to AppLoader folder, highlight Vendor, SHIFT+DELETE.
    6. Load OS to BB: Attach BB to PC, double-click Loader (in AppLoader folder, where you deleted Vendor).

CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

I'm just a bit confused as to why my battery is fine one minute, and doesn't drain as quickly, and then the next minute it's draining so fast...
    I've got another sim where i call and text people with. I got my sim for my Blackberry so that i can use the internet. For a certain amount of dollars i got a year worth of BBM and internet, but when i got this deal everything with regards to the internet was fine and working as normal, but when the thirty days were up the internet became slow and so did BBM. It still works but is very slow. I'm thinking the signal being the way it is is because i maybe haven't topped up? I dunno...
    Many thanks for the OS tips!!! Where do i go to download the latest OS for my phone? I'm really hoping this helps, although i did read somewhere on here that the latest OS can drain your battery (but this was said from a person who didn't have a problem with their battery before upgrading to the latest OS system).
    Thanks a lot for your help so far!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

I'm actually wondering, how do i put my phone on standby? I read that this helps save power. I know that one holds down the mute key for a few seconds but when i do that the phone beeps twice and locks, but it's not on standby because when i hit any button on my keypad the phone lights up saying that the keypad is locked and to press the mute key to unlock it. Then eventually a voice says "you have no new messages". I must be hitting the wrong button, maybe?

Global Posts
    35,133 Global Posts
    PIN

Here's a pretty narrow search for OS versions:

http://forums.crackberry.com/search.php?searchid=488577

The phone goes to standby just sitting on it's own. In a holster/pouch with a sleeper magnet, the keypad won't light if a key is pressed. Only way to further cut power consumption, is to hold the end call button, and shut it down.

CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Ah, i understand. I've also read about resetting the battery meter by draining it to 15% and the fully charging it. So i'm doing that right now. Thanks for the OS link! I'll have a look at that now. Hmm, i don't have a pouch with a sleeper magnet... I'm guessing you can get that from any phone store selling Blackberrys? Sorry, i'm not up-to-date with this stuff!
    Thanks a lot for your helps so far!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

When i click on the link it goes to a page in the Crackberry website that says "CRACKBERRY FORUMS MESSAGE
    Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."
    Also, i forgot, with regards to my signal, i'm not sure if i was looking at the wifi signal!!! My network signal says "-70 dBm"

Thanks

Global Posts
    35,133 Global Posts
    PIN

Sorry, I see the link doesn't work. Just use "official+os"to search this forum (without the "").

Since it's inconsistent, I doubt your meter is off. Typically within a few days/battery pull using a new OS, it will fully calibrate anyway. I'll bet it's the signal, and once you move back, it will normalize. Could be an app, but I'd expect you'd have noticed a trend by now. BTW, -70dBm is as good as you can ever see.

CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

I think it might be the signal, but if you say that -70dBm is as good as what i'll ever see then wouldn't it be -70dBm even when i'm back on track in the UK? Although, right now, with me not topping up, everything is slow with no wifi, meaning that using the internet or sending emails and BBMs are slow, so i'm sure that takes up battery?
    Thanks for the tip! I'll type that in on this site and see what pops up. I'll trying updating my OS to see if there's any change but if not then at least i've tried that option.
    I agree; i don't think it's the apps causing the problem. I've deleted some apps, but not all, and it hasn't changed anything. So now i can install them again!
    Much appreciate the help!
    Thanks.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

P.S would this be the correct OS to install in my phone? Official OS 6.0.0.723 for BlackBerry Curve 9300 from Pelephone
    My version is:
    6.0 bundle 2949 (v6.0.0.668, platform 6.6.0.236) (not sure if any other information needs to be added?)
    Thnaks.

Global Posts
    35,133 Global Posts
    PIN

Yeppers, that OS is one to try. They have to be for your specific model number, but any carrier will work.

CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

Awesome, thanks. Should i take note of my OS version now in case i find problems with the upgraded OS and want to downgrade again?
    Thanks.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

Hmm, i was about to download this OS version anyway and it came to a page where i had to put in my name, email address, etc... It asks for my job and company - at the mo i don't have a job and am not apart of a company, so i don't know what to do in that situation...

Thanks.

Global Posts
    35,133 Global Posts
    PIN

You can put na in the required field, so long as the email is real.

CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  

I was actually thinking that after i sent my comment...
    Awesome, thanks for that! If i need anymore help i'll give ya a shout.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Hello... I tried deactivating the Compression option under the device options and it works very very well.. The battery duration is changed drastically. Hope it works