Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By basafran
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Found BlackBerry memory card on streets of New York City--is there any way to identify?

Hello all,
    I am not a Blackberry user, but on my first visit to New York City two weekends ago, I was walking near the Empire State Building and somehow in the crowd of people, my eagle vision picked out a micro SD card laying on the street.

I just got around to virus scanning and opening the card, and it contains pictures of a man and his family and small children, which I hope he has backed up. If anyone knows any way to identify the user of the device in terms of what data is on it, I'd like to help this guy out.

Folders:
    documents
    music
    pictures
    ringtones
    system
    videos
    voicenotes

It looks to be mostly empty except for pics and vids but maybe there is a uniquely identifying number in there that someone knows of?

The file bbMusicSync.settings shows USER_CHOSEN_NAME=BlackBerry Curve followed by a number as well as other items such as CURRENT_DEVICE_PIN but I don't know if any of this can be linked to a user.

Thanks!

-Brad
    dave_h_946 likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,146 Global Posts

The device PIN might be shown in the field CURRENT_DEVICE_PIN. It would be an 8-digit hexadecimal number like 33ABCDEF. I don't have a media card in my 9930, so I can't verify that. There's no way for a user to trace a PIN number back to another user, but if you had a BlackBerry yourself, you could send a PIN message to the PIN you found. Assuming the person who lost the card still has the same BlackBerry, he or she would get the PIN message. You have to consider that he or she might or might not be happy to hear from you. Your good intentions could be misunderstood or considered stalkerish.
    CrackBerry Addict

Good for you for putting some effort into finding the owner. We need more of that in the world.