Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MobileMadness002
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Contact Sync "Not Available"

I have been syncing my contacts to Outlook via the DM for more than a year (no wireless, just USB). Now the DM shows the contact sync function grayed out and it says it's "not available". As an interesting aside, when I look at my BB backups, recent ones don't include an Address Book, and older ones have the Address Book grayed out. What's going on, and how can I re-enable contact sync? If I do an rset on the BB will that re-enable my contact sync function on the DM, or might it just get rid of all my BB contacts and I'll have no way of getting them back from Outlook (except manually typing them)?

Thanks.

Global Posts
    30,818 Global Posts
    PIN
    PIN:K Floyd!

Any contact list pro(s) in the house?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

My thought is that there's something wrong with my Contacts on my BB and if I can just blow the whole thing away I might get sync to work again. I'm wondering if an OS upgrade might accomplish that without too much histrionics, and without leaving the same potentially corrupted Contacts file?

Global Posts
    30,818 Global Posts
    PIN
    PIN:K Floyd!

You can always make a full backup first JUST in case. And then give it a shot.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,152 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AC9A2F5

Within the Contact app, press MENU, then Options. On this screen you should see any contact lists displayed. Usually listed as your email addresses. If you have only the one, highlight it and select it. Does it say "Wireless sync" and is it check marked? If you have more than 1 list, select each and check for any that say wireless sync and have a check mark. Once ANY contact list is check marked, USB syncing is disabled.
    Posted by my device of choice. Might be a BlackBerry, might not be. It is of no concern to you.
    Thanked by:
    pkcable (04-16-2013) 
    pkcable likes this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by pkcable View Post
    You can always make a full backup first JUST in case. And then give it a shot.
    I have everything backed up on Outlook (and then onto a back up drive), but once I delete everything from the BB, if I still can't sync via the desktop manager then I'm up a creek.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by MobileMadness002 View Post
    Within the Contact app, press MENU, then Options. On this screen you should see any contact lists displayed. Usually listed as your email addresses. If you have only the one, highlight it and select it. Does it say "Wireless sync" and is it check marked? If you have more than 1 list, select each and check for any that say wireless sync and have a check mark. Once ANY contact list is check marked, USB syncing is disabled.
    Thanks. I've been to this screen. I only have one contact list: "Default". And under it's properties, wireless sync is listed as "Not Available" and grayed out. I've never had wireless sync available as far as I know.

When I open my contact list, at the top it says "Find". Next line says "New Contact:". Next line says "* No Contacts *". The next 2 lines are blank contact entries. The next line actually starts my real contacts. This is why I'm thinking my contact list is corrupted.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

I have also now tried to use Blackberry Protect. It has everything backed up, but I noticed that after a certain date, the Contact List is no longer being backed up. When I tried to restore from an older version of the BB Protect files that have a backed up Contact List, it comes back with the message "Restore failed: Not restored". Again this makes me think the Contact list is corrupted, and just wiping it with RSET will empty the contents, not fix the corruption, and leave me with no way to restore all the entries (other than by hand). Does anyone know of a way to completely blow away the Contact list structure and then rebuild it?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

As an update to this, I finally got hold of BB and the only option they had was to do a factory reset. That worked to get rid of the corruption, and then I was able to reload everything. It was a long, tedious process, but it worked.

Then went to OS6 and that was a big mistake. Lots of bells and whistles, but no meat. And the calendar is really poor.