Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default can't downgrade to os5?

I have os6, I don't like it at all. I wanna get os5 back but blackberry desktop software doesn't let me. It says "aborting install due to validation faiure. Some packages contained unsatisfied dependencies" Help?
    CrackBerry User

hi , have you tried a full system wipe through the phone its self ?

for a full system wipe try: options>security options>security wipe
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

But I kind of need the stuff in my phone...
    CrackBerry's Sour Grape

Global Posts
    7,241 Global Posts
    BIG UP BIG UP, ITS A STICK UP STICK UP
    @Fubaz
    Editor for BerryReview @BerryReview

We don't BEND, WE BLEND #TeamBlackBerry

Global Posts
    35,457 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin:tang

There's no need to wipe anythong. Download and install the OS5 you want onto your PC, navigate to Program Files->Common Files->Research in Motion->AppLoader, delete vendor.xml, click on loader.exe, choose downgrade when you get to that optio, and be sure to check off backing up personal data and 3rd partry apps after checking off all the modules and apps you wish to keep. Desktop Manager is good for a few things. Loading an OS isn't one of them.
    WAPers do it With A Passion

Z/Q Warrior ..` `..` `..` `.. `.. Born to  ..` `..` `..` `..` `.. Upgrade Guide

BB10 - If you don't, kittens will die .................................................. ......................................Kevin - "I call you the PITA I love"
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Uhh... just so you know. I'm on a mac.

Global Posts
    35,457 Global Posts
    PIN

Well, that was a critical piece of info left out. May I suggest borrowing someone's PC?

Z/Q Warrior ..` `..` `..` `.. `.. Born to  ..` `..` `..` `..` `.. Upgrade Guide

BB10 - If you don't, kittens will die .................................................. ......................................Kevin - "I call you the PITA I love"
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

uhhh... can someone help or. I hate os6, it lags.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

:/ no one?

Global Posts
    35,457 Global Posts
    PIN

Samantha, unless something has changed, that I'm unaware of, and that's possible since I'm not a Mac user, all DM on Mac does is install directly from an official release. There's no way to do what you want on a Mac, except running bootcamp. The best solution, is to borrow a PC from someone for a couple hours, install DM and the OS you want to downgrade to, and then you'll be set. I can give you a ton of detail on the best way to go about it on a PC, but another Google search just now came up empty for Mac.

CrackBerry User

I am having the same problem as Samantha. I have a mac. 6 OS does not work well with my BB (9650). Same error problem with DM.

Is there another solution besides going on someone else's PC. It's not so easy to find a friend who has a PC and who will let me borrow their PC for 2 hours so that I can download foreign things on it. I know, I know, it won't actually do harm but it's a bigger ask than you might think. 2 hours is actually a long time to be using someone's extremely personal property.

So Crackberry gods, is there anyone out there that can help us. We downloaded 6 OS and we want 5!
    CrackBerry User

And if the solution is wiping the bb, would any of you guys be so generous as to walk me through it so that I can understand how to retain the stuff (addresses etc) that are on my BB.

And I know this is going to sound sarcastic, but could you explain it to me like I'm your 90 year old grandmother? I get easily confused by ACRONYMS and even basic tech speech. (For example, it took a spell to understand what DM meant, because it's more literally called Blackberry Desktop Software on my computer.)

Global Posts
    35,457 Global Posts
    PIN

I never suggested borrowing someone's PC was easy. You shouldn't need to wipe anything. Frankly, until recently, if you had a Mac there was only one way to do anything with your BlackBerry. It's called Boot Camp. I mentioned it as a solution already. Here's a link:

Apple - Mac OS X - Windows Compatibility - How Mac works with PCs

I don't know what else to tell ya'll. Do a Google search on your own, and you'll see, there's no way using just the Mac OS it can be done. I'm sorry, but that's it, plain and simple.

Thanked by:
    Jon Davis (05-22-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

I just scrolled up to the "wiping out the BB option" and even that requires something called BSAK, which is a PC thing.

So am I stuck with the perennially funky 6 OS? Why do they tantalize us mac users with the option to downgrade but then don't allow us to follow through?

Thanks for your help. It's just a bummer.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Solution

Go to any big box store, buy a cheap pc laptop on your credit card, use it for a few days to fix your blackberry issues, then return the laptop for a full refund. Most stores have 14 or 30 day return policies, no questions asked.
    Simple.
    BB 7520,8210,9000,9700,9900,iphone 5

Global Posts
    35,457 Global Posts
    PIN

Nowhere on this page:

BlackBerry - Desktop Software for Mac

Does it say a thing about downgrading. If you have a BlackBerry link to downgrading on a Mac, I'd love to see it. I'm not trying to be an here, I'd love to give you a simple solution, but I'll be damned if I can find ya'll one.

Global Posts
    35,457 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by KodyShadow View Post
    Go to any big box store, buy a cheap pc laptop on your credit card, use it for a few days to fix your blackberry issues, then return the laptop for a full refund. Most stores have 14 or 30 day return policies, no questions asked.
    Simple.
    Now I'm going to be an . Don't ever give out crap advice like this on CrackBerry again. Sheesh!

CrackBerry User

Believe it or not, the desktop manager on Mac does give you a downgrade option. If you update your apps, there's an option that presents the OS that are available for your BB. If you select the 0S 5 975, it will give you a menu and there's a button that says "downgrade." You press it... you get excited. And then you get the error message that Samantha and I got.

However, I can't believe I didn't think of this before... I have an old PC in my garage. I dusted it off. It takes 20 minutes to load, it asks me for 90 different updates for long outdated software, and it kind of smells like it's burning. But I am seeing if it will work.

Global Posts
    35,457 Global Posts
    PIN

That's damn evil on RIM's part then, and not the first thing they've done that makes me smh. Jon, I must say, your PC story had me LMAO! Since you have it out, and have a 9650, before you give up on OSicks, try this:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f224/ki...dition-615455/

Read the thread, and I think you'll find you're not the only one in need of some speed.

Edit - Maybe when you're done Jon, you can loan Samantha your "smokin'" PC.

Thanked by:
    Jon Davis (05-22-2011) 
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Ask

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadWulf View Post
    That's damn evil on RIM's part then, and not the first thing they've done that makes me smh. Jon, I must say, your PC story had me LMAO! Since you have it out, and have a 9650, before you give up on OSicks, try this:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f224/ki...dition-615455/

I will have to agree with BigBad
    Read the thread, and I think you'll find you're not the only one in need of some speed.

Edit - Maybe when you're done Jon, you can loan Samantha your "smokin'" PC.
    I will have to agree with BigBadWulf on this one, as RIM has made some poor choices in the way they do things. But, I still have to believe that they create the most stable OS's of ANY phone manufacturers out there.
    As far as OS6 being laggy, yes it is on a stock OS. Give the hybrid that BigBadWulf suggested, I think you will be pleasently surprised as the increase in performance that you will get using it.
    If you need help on how to install a hybrid, just ask.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanked by:
    Jon Davis (05-22-2011) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts

Hybrids are nice sometimes, but not completely necessary to have os6 running smoothly! Try wiping your phone, shrink the os6 build, and install to your 9650...only restore contacts, calendar, and memos..then do fresh installs of all the apps you need! I've done this on 2 9650's and they are both running os6 super fast and lag-free....on build .524, I have 14 apps and 327mb of free memory! Ive used my phone pretty heavily today, and currently at 20% battery after 12hrs...

If either of you with mac's are near vegas, come by, I'll let you use my PC...

Thanked by:
    Jon Davis (05-22-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

It worked. My old PC asked me a lot of questions about why I hadn't updated in 6 years. And I downgraded to the last 5 OS build. All the while, it smelled like I was cooking. I am so excited. My battery life has returned. And no more lag. And a web browser that is more intuitive (but slower, maybe?). I might be able to work with this phone again.

As for the King's Road, I am not sure I like 6 OS. It has multiple screens but it seems to just annoy me because I swipe through a window and makes it harder to get to the screen I need. And something about the new incoming call set up has me accidentally sending people to voice mail rather than answering. I also don't love the web browser. Assuming I could get it not to lag and it not to drain my battery... I am still not sure I like the 6.0. I suppose I could be missing something.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts

I think the webkit browser on OS6 is the best feature over OS5....its faster, loads pages better, loads a lot more full websites instead of just the mobile version, mulitple tabs, etc...in my opinion the browser on os5 is terrible

The home screen tabs, if you scroll to the side and it switches tabs, just hit the end call button and it will quickly switch you back to the home tab....or why scroll to search for what you need, just type it and universal search brings it right up without having to look around

The incoming call problem I don't understand, green phone "talk" button on the left answers, red phone "end call" button on right sends to voice mail....same as it was on os5

I get better battery life on os6 than I ever did on os5....especially after the wipe and fresh install, I'm now at 14hrs of fairly heavy use for the day and the battery indicator just turn red to show low battery, I've used the browser a lot, as well as pretty much constant bbm messages, sms, mms, gps, weather app, camera, email, wifi, played xploding boxes for a while, and bridged to my playbook for an hour or two as well

Personal choice I guess, I switched to os6 the first day it leaked for the 9650 back in august, and never even thought about os5 again...even with the glitches of the original leaks, there were enough improvements to make the way I use my phone's a better experience, faster and easier!

Thanked by:
    Jon Davis (05-22-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

Exactly! I really love OS6's options to do whatever I want. It gives me choices to use or not what I like. I also use Opera for my web browsing or Google Mobile for alot too and it's fast.
    As for stable! I went from my BB 8330 to a Droid X, which I LOVED! The big screen and Angry Birds, Apps etc... was great. EXCEPT, all the force closings and terrible battery life. My daughter is expecting a baby and I need my phone to work 24/7 and I just can't trust the Droid, so I'm using my BB 3g and haven't had one single lag, force close, reboot, missed call, slow SMS or anything else I was having with Droid.
    Anyways, BB does have a few issues, but nothing that affects the stability and reliability of it, which is why most of us have them!
    Thanked by:
    Jon Davis (05-22-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

It's a matter of preference, obviously. Regarding web browser, it's definitely faster and more fully formed on OS 6. And i was getting better at that zoom function. However, I don't understand the advantage of multiple tabs on BB. Once you're on a web page, you really can't see the other tabs you've got running. It just gave me extra work, closing out web pages. And I sorta missed column view.

Regarding universal search function, I often search by numbers, not letters, so it forced an extra step. I was more annoyed with all the extra info the phone was giving me. I prefer doing narrower searches just in my contacts,which is where I'm looking 99 percent of the time.

BUT the real problem is that my perception of OS 6 has been severely affected by the lag and battery life and their domino effect.

For example, scrolling should be relatively easy but with the lag, which in of itself was inconsistent, I was way too tempted to overshoot across icons and horizontal screens, so I was driving myself nuts, compensating and overcompensating with my thumb. I couldn't get to anything quickly or without landing on the wrong thing first.

And battery life was so bad that I got about 4 hours. So I turned off bluetooth and sound to stretch it out. I was on silent all the time, which meant I missed a lot of calls, and while that did have its advantages, it really pissed off my fiancee. (I'm way too quirky for my own good.)

The incoming call thing became a pecadilo. I was on silent so much while emailing and texting and bbming that when the phone quietly lit up from a call, I'd instinctively answer it like a text and somehow this would accidentally send the person to voice mail.

But I'm open minded. I want to like OS 6. And now that I have my old PC laptop out, I could try this wiping and shrinking if my ibm thinkpad doesn't explode beforehand (What is shrinking in this context? How do you shrink?)
    Last edited by Jon Davis; 05-22-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast