Advice needed, OS5 or OS6?
11-09-12 02:34 PM
- My wifes 9300 has 126.96.36.1992( I think) right now. Has been on it for about 2 years and I'm going to wipe and install either a fresh copy of .832 or a version of OS6. I'm wondering which version runs best on the Curve 3G. She txts alot, bbms a bit, facebooks alot, browses a bit and talks quite a bit.
She doesn't have a lot of games or apps on it so I don't think memory is an issue(from what I've read OS6 takes a little more memory).
I just want to install the best version that will work smoothly without freezing and slow downs.
Please help a brother out. People with experience in having both OS's on a 3G would be appreciated.
Thanks, John.09-20-12 06:36 PM
- While some feel that BB 9700 and 9300 when first released came loaded with OS 5 should stick with OS 5, after wiping and installing OS 6 they felt the phone sluggish.
While I've seen many friends and family buy 9300s recently which come with OS 6 installed are more than happy with its response and report no sluggishness.
This differing opinions is the result of the fact a previous OS 5 user wiping and loading OS 6 which takes more memory than os 5 and loading all their apps they previously enjoyed on OS 5. Thus they have their set as before but now not realising they have same amount of free memory to play with. If they shrunk the os 6 any unnecessay apps they don't use and then proceeded to install their preferred apps and then found no issues of sluggishness then problem solved but if they did.......
As you can see its a little tough to answer this question.
Personally seeing that your wife uses little apps already so installing os 6 and shrinking it removing the stuff she will never use.....I dnt think it will be sluggish in the least.09-21-12 04:48 PM
- I would recommend staying with OS 5. I upgraded from OS 5 to 6 on my 9330 and 9650 and with both phones, the software just gave me problems!.. OS 6 does have nice features, but some of the phones they put it on can't handle it too well.. But if she doesn't use too much memory or apps, OS 6 might work well for her. OS 5 works, but lacks some of the basic new features that OS 6 has.. such as texting more than 160 characters without having to send multiple messages. So it just depends what she prefers. Maybe just try OS 6 and see how it works out. She could always switch back if it doesn't work out.09-21-12 10:50 PM
Last edited by f0xx386; 10-03-12 at 01:37 PM.10-03-12 01:35 PMLike 1
- I have OS6 installed on my Blackberry Curve 9300 3G - It came already installed - and i have had my Blackberry since august 30th, so i've had it for practically 2 months.it rarely lags, and if it does, it's only for a few minutes or so, it's great - i have kept my phone in brilliant condition though and i am very very careful with it, and i know other CrackBerry users arent. as this is my first ever BlackBerry i do not know what OS5 is like, but i know that OS6 is a very good, fast and reliable operating system. i strongly recommend installing OS6.10-28-12 05:27 PM
- BlackBerry OS Phone Forums
- More BlackBerry Phones
- BlackBerry Curve 3G
Advice needed, OS5 or OS6?
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD