Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By f0xx386
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Smile Advice needed, OS5 or OS6?

My wifes 9300 has 5.0.0.832( I think) right now. Has been on it for about 2 years and I'm going to wipe and install either a fresh copy of .832 or a version of OS6. I'm wondering which version runs best on the Curve 3G. She txts alot, bbms a bit, facebooks alot, browses a bit and talks quite a bit.

She doesn't have a lot of games or apps on it so I don't think memory is an issue(from what I've read OS6 takes a little more memory).

I just want to install the best version that will work smoothly without freezing and slow downs.

Please help a brother out. People with experience in having both OS's on a 3G would be appreciated.

Thanks, John.
    CrackBerry Abuser

While some feel that BB 9700 and 9300 when first released came loaded with OS 5 should stick with OS 5, after wiping and installing OS 6 they felt the phone sluggish.

While I've seen many friends and family buy 9300s recently which come with OS 6 installed are more than happy with its response and report no sluggishness.

This differing opinions is the result of the fact a previous OS 5 user wiping and loading OS 6 which takes more memory than os 5 and loading all their apps they previously enjoyed on OS 5. Thus they have their set as before but now not realising they have same amount of free memory to play with. If they shrunk the os 6 any unnecessay apps they don't use and then proceeded to install their preferred apps and then found no issues of sluggishness then problem solved but if they did.......

As you can see its a little tough to answer this question.
    Personally seeing that your wife uses little apps already so installing os 6 and shrinking it removing the stuff she will never use.....I dnt think it will be sluggish in the least.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,241 Global Posts
    PIN
    K. 27F3DC2E put cb in request

If OS5 works for you i wouldn't switch it. OS5 & OS6 are almost identical.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    644 Global Posts

I would recommend staying with OS 5. I upgraded from OS 5 to 6 on my 9330 and 9650 and with both phones, the software just gave me problems!.. OS 6 does have nice features, but some of the phones they put it on can't handle it too well.. But if she doesn't use too much memory or apps, OS 6 might work well for her. OS 5 works, but lacks some of the basic new features that OS 6 has.. such as texting more than 160 characters without having to send multiple messages. So it just depends what she prefers. Maybe just try OS 6 and see how it works out. She could always switch back if it doesn't work out.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

I loaded os 6 on it. It is working pretty good. Its only been about 24 hours so we'll see how its working in a couple days.

She's talking about getting an iphone 4s if she can find a good deal on one.

Thanks for the replies.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    Ask me

I say stay with OS 5=runs beautiful on a 9300...6 works but just seems the lag steps in...
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

I'm gonna give it a few days and see how it's working.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,033 Global Posts

i'd say 5.0.0.977 OR 6.0.0.723 w/ B@stard Aikido hybrid. best battery life i've seen on mine w/ Aikido
    Device(s): Curve 9300>Bold 9700>Z10>Samsung Galaxy Note 2>Z10 #BlackBerryByChoice
    Tablet: BlackBerry Playbook 32GB
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Default Curve 3g upgrade issues

Not sure if anyone can tell me, but daughter just texted me complaining that she is doing latest upgrade on her 3g. Curve and has lost her text messages, sms, can she get them back somehow?
    Tim, BB convert from Nokia although still love my N900, Torch, Curve 2 PB 32 & 64GB

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I will remember. Involve me and I will understand.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by cjenniti View Post
    Not sure if anyone can tell me, but daughter just texted me complaining that she is doing latest upgrade on her 3g. Curve and has lost her text messages, sms, can she get them back somehow?
    Usually desktop manager makes backup of the phone before proceeding with upgrade. Depends how she did the upgrade...if using apploader and not manager there's option to either backup or not.
    Last edited by f0xx386; 10-03-2012 at 01:37 PM.
    Thanked by:
    cjenniti (10-03-2012) 
    cjenniti likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Thanks for that, I think she just used app loader, maybe they will turn up
    Tim, BB convert from Nokia although still love my N900, Torch, Curve 2 PB 32 & 64GB

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I will remember. Involve me and I will understand.
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    29B1BDA7

Default Re: Advice needed, OS5 or OS6?

I have OS6 installed on my Blackberry Curve 9300 3G - It came already installed - and i have had my Blackberry since august 30th, so i've had it for practically 2 months.it rarely lags, and if it does, it's only for a few minutes or so, it's great - i have kept my phone in brilliant condition though and i am very very careful with it, and i know other CrackBerry users arent. as this is my first ever BlackBerry i do not know what OS5 is like, but i know that OS6 is a very good, fast and reliable operating system. i strongly recommend installing OS6.
    CrackBerry User

Default Advice needed, OS5 or OS6?

When i got my 9300 3G it came with OS5 and wish that I had lately to switch it back to OS5 because the phone can't handle it always freezing!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
    BB User since 2008! - Currently using 9800/9790/Q10 - C0040B178