The Q10 was being sold on the blackberry website recently for $199, it shares almost all the same components of the Classic besides the outward appearance. So now that is it priced at $450 we are essentially paying $250 for;

- slightly bigger sized phone
    - track pad and tool belt (prob costs $2-3 bucks wholesale to add to the phone)
    - slightly different material on the back
    - marketing which makes people stupid and helps them justify paying $250 additional dollars for a track pad. As much as I want to like the Classic I can't justify it at that price point and the fact the track pad doesn't light up and they call it a classic when the best selling phone and most legendary model is the Bold 9900 which has a track pad that lights up yet this one doesn't and it gets the Classic name justification? Bad call Blackberry.

I'm hoping an updated model of this phone gets released and I will only get it when it drops into the $200-300 dollar range because getting it any higher is just plain stupid once you run a pro/con analysis of what the phone is compared to the Q10.
    12-13-14 05:50 PM
    Is it really fair to compare the cost of a brand new model to one that has been out for a long time? The Q10 certainly wasn't $199 when it first came out. I doubt the Classic will be $450 by the end of the year.
    ayngling likes this.
    12-13-14 06:03 PM
    Bigger screen
    Better battery

Posted via CB10
    Frehley, 1Criz, Carjackd and 1 others like this.
    12-13-14 06:03 PM
    I'm stupid and don't care about a track pad that lights up so I pre-ordered one.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 06:04 PM
    Bigger screen
    Better battery

Posted via CB10
    Doesn't justify a $250 price increase.

- The raw material cost of a bigger battery is dirt cheap this is evident in portable battery chargers.
    - The screen is bigger causing more battery juice to be sucked out so what becomes a 30% increase in battery over the Q10 will most likely translate to a 10-15% increase in battery life.
    12-13-14 06:05 PM
    Is it really fair to compare the cost of a brand new model to one that has been out for a long time? The Q10 certainly wasn't $199 when it first came out. I doubt the Classic will be $450 by the end of the year.
    It's very fair considering the specs are 95% identical(internally). No phone manufacturer has ever released a phone with 2 year old specs and tried to charge x2.5 more than a model they previously had in the line up (q10) with virtually the same comparable specs.

Not hating on BB because I'm a big fan myself and I will eventually get this phone I just can't justify it or their decision making processes.
    Maxxxpower and Dominick079 like this.
    12-13-14 06:07 PM
    I like the bigger screen, plus it's called the classic - boom, end of story. Isn't the screen also lcd? The q10 screen looked like complete garbage. It's not oled vs lcd situation since the samsung phones use oled and look great. Classic screen looks more akin to passport, rather than q10. Def an upgrade. Hopefully it performs as well too...
    JuriKo likes this.
    12-13-14 06:10 PM
    The Q10 was being sold on the blackberry website recently for $199, it shares almost all the same components of the Classic besides the outward appearance. So now that is it priced at $450 we are essentially paying $250 for;

WORTH. EVERY. PENNY.

- marketing which makes people stupid and helps them justify paying $250 additional dollars for a track pad.
    You forgot the other things you just listed above. But, what is this "marketing" you speak of?

As much as I want to like the Classic I can't justify it at that price point and the fact the track pad doesn't light up and they call it a classic when the best selling phone and most legendary model is the Bold 9900 which has a track pad that lights up yet this one doesn't and it gets the Classic name justification? Bad call Blackberry.
    While I would like that too (and no one knows FOR SURE that it doesn't light up) I'm not going so far as excluding it from being called a classic just because one part of the classic structure doesn't light up.

.... is just plain stupid once you run a pro/con analysis of what the phone is compared to the Q10.
    Unless you actually want to have a BB10 phone with classic features, then you don't really care about the price being a "con". You care that you....FINALLY....have the phone you've been waiting for. OR, unless you just wait for the price to drop like it does on all phones.
    12-13-14 06:12 PM
    Some see value in some things others do not.

That comes with any product. It doesn't necessarily have to be a revolutionary product. It just has to be a bit better.

You don't have to buy it. And frankly, no one cares if you do.

Did you associate improved productivity for consumers? R&D for OS development?

Don't tell me the 2nd was is inexpensive

Posted via CB10
    1TIME and mk2234 like this.
    12-13-14 06:14 PM
    Some see value in some things others do not.

That comes with any product. It doesn't necessarily have to be a revolutionary product. It just has to be a bit better.

You don't have to buy it. And frankly, no one cares if you do.

Did you associate improved productivity for consumers? R&D for OS development?

Don't tell me the 2nd was is inexpensive

Posted via CB10
    That's true, fair points made and I agree it just has to be a bit better. Personally I'm waiting for a price drop or updated model.
    12-13-14 06:16 PM
    The paratek antena, slimport, usb OTG, stereo speakers, the trackpad and all the R&D involved around it (it's not like they just slap the trackpad and it works), no?
    12-13-14 06:19 PM
    personally i fear that the apps wont support the trackpad. if thats the case, then no point of it at all... back in the day i didnt have to worry about that, as all the phones had the trackpad, but now this would be 1 phone out of 8 now... i hope at least it will act as a possible gesture input in case of apps that dont support it directly
    12-13-14 06:26 PM
    Under the OP's logic... if I Ford brings out a new 2015 model then they should charge the same price as the 2014 model sells for now.....even though there are rarely that many differences between the two.,,,,, Same with TV.... paid 950 dollars for my 55 inch Plasma in 2013.... next years model came out in around 3 months.... my 2013 model dropped $300 to $650.... newer model came in at just over 1,000 dollars.... guess Samsung should have retailed the newer model at the reduced price......never understand how people do not understand basic commerce.... you pay a premium for the latest and the greatest of anything.....
    raino, sk8er_tor, mk2234 and 1 others like this.
    12-13-14 06:27 PM
    personally i fear that the apps wont support the trackpad. if thats the case, then no point of it at all... back in the day i didnt have to worry about that, as all the phones had the trackpad, but now this would be 1 phone out of 8 now... i hope at least it will act as a possible gesture input in case of apps that dont support it directly
    The main reason for the trackpad is for text editing. I can pretty much garan-damn-tee that it will support that. Videos have also shown how you can navigate the phone using the trackpad.
    12-13-14 06:28 PM

- marketing which makes people stupid and helps them justify paying $250 additional dollars for a track pad. As much as I want to like the Classic I can't justify it at that price point and the fact the track pad doesn't light up and they call it a classic when the best selling phone and most legendary model is the Bold 9900 which has a track pad that lights up yet this one doesn't and it gets the Classic name justification? Bad call Blackberry.

I'm hoping an updated model of this phone gets released and I will only get it when it drops into the $200-300 dollar range because getting it any higher is just plain stupid once you run a pro/con analysis of what the phone is compared to the Q10.
    Here's a fair point. I have the money so it doesn't bother me.

Loved my q10 but the screen size often got in the way. The classic is as wide as my z30 which I use mostly in portrait anyway.

So now I get to go back to my q10 WITH a better build, a bigger screen, a bigger keyboard, toolbelt, etc etc. Please .... take my money. I know people who spend 250 on dinner or after a night in Vegas. My phone is the most used thing I have. 250 is nothing.

My girl just spent 70 bucks on 2 pairs of sweatpants that she will likely wear for a few more months before they end up in the bottom of the drawer. Don't over think these things. If the phone makes you happy, get it.

PS. Haha marketing!

Posted via CB10
    mk2234 and bungaboy like this.
    12-13-14 06:32 PM
    There is a ton of cost that is too long to list that go's into a brand new device. It's completely reasonable that BlackBerry prices the Classic at this price point.

'BB POWERED' C001C1D66
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-13-14 06:35 PM

Why must the update be in specs? Why can't the update be in battery, slight screen size, and the tool belt. Why isn't that enough? Why must you result to insulting the new device? Why not either embrace it or don't buy it?
    HighFlight88 and mk2234 like this.
    12-13-14 06:41 PM
    Why must the update be in specs? Why can't the update be in battery, slight screen size, and the tool belt. Why isn't that enough? Why must you result to insulting the new device? Why not either embrace it or don't buy it?
    Great point!

Just like cars that continue to have the same sized engines year after year, but upgrade other things that make operating them more appealing.
    anon6040766 and HighFlight88 like this.
    12-13-14 06:48 PM
    Yes it is, if the specs are the same. That 199 phone was brand new too.

Now, to many, the classic features really ate worth $250.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 07:57 PM
    **** it.

If we are going to be realistic, BlackBerry 10 phones are more expensive than alternative Windows and Android phones that carry more apps and better developer support. So we are also over paying extra for a phone with no more greater specs than other alternative brands. So saying "BlackBerry Classic is the same specs as the BlackBerry Q10" is no more different than other Android and Windows options.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 08:11 PM
    How redundant.

There should be a mega-thread for people who don't plan on purchasing the Classic but INSIST on trying to convince others why they're stupid for wanting to buy one for themselves.
    12-13-14 08:19 PM

That was a sale price, not the full price. If you are going to do anything, please at least compare the same thing.
    12-13-14 08:34 PM
    Doesn't justify a $250 price increase
    Last I checked, Blackberry wasn't a charity...
    xBURK likes this.
    12-13-14 08:43 PM
    That was a sale price, not the full price. If you are going to do anything, please at least compare the same thing.
    Thank you. I was going to point this out myself. Next we're going to hear "but my credit card gives me 5% cash back on online purchases, so it's only a $190 phone."
    Carjackd likes this.
    12-13-14 08:45 PM
    You forgot 2 features: anti-luminescent coating on the trackpad and the awesome box.

BEST. QWERTY. EVER.
    Maxxxpower likes this.
    12-13-14 08:59 PM
93 123 ...