Hey, so most of you might not even know what I'm talking about unless you're a BBOS user, but one thing I missed when switching to BB10 was the g shortcut in the browser, and another is the ability to type out url's using space to replace dots. In BB10, you can use space to replace dots in urls but you have to use the touchscreen to select the option. Hitting enter defaulted to searching for that. Well, in 10.3.1, not only is the g shortcut back, but now it's like in legacy devices where if you type "www google com" and hit enter it doesn't search for that but goes to that address, just like in legacy devices, and yes, I'm soooooo happy about that. :-D

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    emkay47, andy957, lactose and 6 others like this.
    12-24-14 01:58 PM
    i'm sure you'll find more goodies
    12-24-14 02:14 PM
    i'm sure you'll find more goodies
    I'm liking the phone, but things that need improving need to be vocalized so they can be fixed. Don't mistaken my comments against the phone or OS with me not liking it. :-)

12-24-14 02:17 PM
    G jumps to homepage and opens search bar, which is good for check your history and bookmarks which searching.
    U works in current webpage that only brings out address bar, which is good if you still want to see same webpage.
    BBOS7 you have to type www prefix in order to use space → . shortcut , so I guess BBOS10 is little faster on that matter.
    In my opinion the best way to maximize qwerty keyboard and BBOS10 browser is to use duckduckgo.com search engine with !bang function and !+space to jump to the webpage directly.

e.g. try to set duckduckgo.com / ddg.gg to your default search engine and search !g, it's way faster.

Enjoy the new power tool and happy holidays everyone!
    momofteme, miketko and mikegcox like this.
    12-24-14 02:39 PM
    If you double tap space quickly you also get a period. Useful for texts and e mails.
    12-24-14 02:40 PM
    I'm liking the phone, but things that need improving need to be vocalized so they can be fixed. Don't mistaken my comments against the phone or OS with me not liking it. :-)

oh no, I was not thinking of that way...I Know you love the phone...I know you are from to the old one 9900...which I never had.. OS 10 being different, it is a new way of doing things..I am sure there might be more goodies hidden somewhere....just need to find those..

New findings need to be vocalize as well
    12-24-14 02:41 PM
    If you double tap space quickly you also get a period. Useful for texts and e mails.
    I think that is on every phone
    12-24-14 02:45 PM
    Actually, I deactivate that. I kind of dislike it. Sometimes I do extra spaces or sometimes I accidentally press space twice while typing. Double space goes unnoticed, but a period I would have to go back and correct. So I always turn that feature off. I actually don't mind typing out the periods while typing, but with url's the space shortcut is just so dang useful...

Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    12-24-14 03:02 PM
    oh no, I was not thinking of that way...I Know you love the phone...I know you are from to the old one 9900...which I never had.. OS 10 being different, it is a new way of doing things..I am sure there might be more goodies hidden somewhere....just need to find those..

New findings need to be vocalize as well
    Oh ok, I just hate when people comment in my threads calling me a troll or thinking all I do is complain about BB (and in threads where I defend something about BB all of a sudden I'm a fanboy...). And I had a 9000, then a 9900, then the Q10, before I got the Classic. So I'm familiar with BB10, but these features were missing from BB10 before this 10.3.1 (never tried 10.3 so not sure about that one).

12-24-14 03:04 PM
    Hi Slagman, I was going to make a post asking you how you like your phone, but you've answered it. I'm glad you are liking the Classic. I wasn't going to get cause of a few things that you've even mentioned in the past that would be missing. But the wife surprised me and got it for me. Yes, I'm bummed on a few things missing from either hardware or software, but I'm actually like it after using it. I think this is the first BB10 device that I will be able to use as a daily drive and keep the 9900 as a backup and use it only for the maps, as I need to keep a daily log of distances from each stop. On 7.1, it is easy and quick to hit back and then select the next stop from my favorites to re calculate the distances. But there are too many steps on BB10 and it won't give me just the distance only and want to go into Navigation mode which I don't need for the log book. But otherwise, it is a great device and I almost feel at home again with this device. Thanks for all your great input from prior post.

Posted via CB10
    geekaren likes this.
    12-25-14 08:31 PM
    Be honestly, I think Passport is the top end for BlackBerry to replace 9900.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-14 11:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    It has one very big problem for the traditional BlackBerry user though. It's not a one handed device. But yeah its higher spec than any BlackBerry. Ever. Definitely a flagship.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    sam_tek and slagman5 like this.
    12-26-14 12:04 AM
    There you go slagman, now you have me going thru my whole keyboard and buttons looking for shortcuts lol!!!

Posted via CB10
    slagman5 likes this.
    12-26-14 12:17 AM
    Hi Slagman, I was going to make a post asking you how you like your phone, but you've answered it. I'm glad you are liking the Classic. I wasn't going to get cause of a few things that you've even mentioned in the past that would be missing. But the wife surprised me and got it for me. Yes, I'm bummed on a few things missing from either hardware or software, but I'm actually like it after using it. I think this is the first BB10 device that I will be able to use as a daily drive and keep the 9900 as a backup and use it only for the maps, as I need to keep a daily log of distances from each stop. On 7.1, it is easy and quick to hit back and then select the next stop from my favorites to re calculate the distances. But there are too many steps on BB10 and it won't give me just the distance only and want to go into Navigation mode which I don't need for the log book. But otherwise, it is a great device and I almost feel at home again with this device. Thanks for all your great input from prior post.

Posted via CB10
    Hey man, I'm glad you're enjoying the Classic. I recommend you go to the beta zone and voice your suggestions for the map features there. Don't just settle for it not working the way you want. Who knows, maybe others feel the same way and something could come out of it...

andy957 and geekaren like this.
    12-26-14 01:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    It's not a straight upgrade. It doesn't have a toolbelt, it has a weird gimped 3-row keyboard (if we wanted virtual keys we would get an all-touch), and the shape and size doesn't allow us to use it the way we've been using BB's. The Passport is more of an alternative than an upgrade from legacy devices...

sam_tek and hnguyen like this.
    12-26-14 01:58 PM
    I just found another which is the virtual keyboard changing from white and black automatically depending on the lightning conditions... In display settings

Posted via CB10
    slagman5 likes this.
    12-27-14 09:25 AM
    I just found another which is the virtual keyboard changing from white and black automatically depending on the lightning conditions... In display settings

Posted via CB10
    Oh yah, I see that too now. :-)

12-27-14 12:32 PM
    Don't want to open a new post, so I think it fits here.

NEW TRICK DISCOVERY
    As everyone knows short click berry key / menu key opens side nemu, but I just found out long press the berry key / menu key sildes down the swipe down menu.
    cheers
    12-30-14 02:53 AM

NEW TRICK DISCOVERY
    As everyone knows short click berry key / menu key opens side nemu, but I just found out long press the berry key / menu key sildes down the swipe down menu.
    cheers
    I'm glad that feature is there because for some reason on my Classic, it's a little hit or miss trying to get that top menu to show. Sometimes I swipe down from the top bezel and it just scrolls down and it'll take like 2 or 3 tries before the menu shows up. Anyone else have this problem? I've just been using the long-press BB key thing to bring it up because of that...

12-30-14 09:44 AM
    G jumps to homepage and opens search bar, which is good for check your history and bookmarks which searching.
    U works in current webpage that only brings out address bar, which is good if you still want to see same webpage.
    BBOS7 you have to type www prefix in order to use space → . shortcut , so I guess BBOS10 is little faster on that matter.
    In my opinion the best way to maximize qwerty keyboard and BBOS10 browser is to use duckduckgo.com search engine with !bang function and !+space to jump to the webpage directly.

e.g. try to set duckduckgo.com / ddg.gg to your default search engine and search !g, it's way faster.

Enjoy the new power tool and happy holidays everyone!
    This is such a great tip (ddg), thanks. At first I was reading it and wondered what the hell you were talking about, then I tried it. Wow!

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 11:46 AM

NEW TRICK DISCOVERY
    cheers
    there should be a new thread just for that
    12-30-14 11:58 AM
    You don't have to double tap quickly, the OS replaces two spaces together with a period then a space, its kind of like an automatic word substitution, the speed of typing doesn't matter.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 12:59 PM
    BBOS7 you have to type ww w prefix in order to use space → . shortcut , so I guess BBOS10 is little faster on that matter.
    Are you sure this is the case? That's not how it works on my Bold 9790; the space=. auto shortcut has become so ingrained for me that I catch myself using it when typing URLs on a desktop computer, and I never type ww w.

This feature is something I never would have expected BB to do away with, so I'm glad to hear the Classic hasn't - another prop in favor of trying it out.
    12-31-14 03:48 AM