I've searched this forum and the BB Community for a solution and didn't find a fix for my problem. Today I'm giving it my last try and if I don't fix the problem I'm abandoning the phone till the next update.

The Problem:
    Contact names are frequently not displayed for incoming calls even though I can see the caller's number. The name shows up in the call log after I hang.

Phone: BlackBerry Classic almost 2 months old. Had the problem on 10.3.1.1154 and got worse with latest update to 10.3.1.1565. Using google to sync contacts. I've had this issue since I bought the phone.

Have tried:
    - turned off auto-merge and unmerged all contacts
    - multiple reboots
    - restored to factory settings
    - edited all contacts to look exactly as the operator displays the number
    - different national number lenghts

Right now I've factory reset the device again and I'm going to use CardDav for syncing instead of the direct route. Did anyone with this problem find a solution?
    02-26-15 05:34 AM
    Similar problem. Caller ID shows up at time of call but doesn't stay in call log. Z10

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 04:51 PM
    Happened to me as well. Phone rings and I'm looking at the number thinking 'who's this?' I let it ring out and as soon as the caller hung up, their name appears! I've never experienced this on any other phone I've owned. Bloody nuisance.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 06:06 PM
    I've now setup contacts syncing through CalDav instead full gmail sync and it might just work. But the werid thing is that sometimes the phone adds the country code in front of incoming calls even though they are not formatted this way. I wish I could turn smart dialing off. It's nothing smart about it.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 06:40 AM
    I have same issue, and have searched for an answer. Has happened since 10.3.1 update.

Also, not only when getting a call, but texts too. I had to create a new contact for a contact i already had. Just so their name would show with the number. If i link the new contact with old contact. I get the old issue. No name associated with number. So i have to leave unlinked.

Even with this, i have to go in and out of text message to get it to switch the number to the contact name..

So far, notice this with about half a dozen contacts.

Passport on ATT
    03-01-15 07:59 AM
    I have same issue, and have searched for an answer. Has happened since 10.3.1 update.

Also, not only when getting a call, but texts too. I had to create a new contact for a contact i already had. Just so their name would show with the number. If i link the new contact with old contact. I get the old issue. No name associated with number. So i have to leave unlinked.

Even with this, i have to go in and out of text message to get it to switch the number to the contact name..

So far, notice this with about half a dozen contacts.

Passport on ATT
    How do you sync the contacts?

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 05:49 AM
    Similar problem. Caller ID shows up at time of call but doesn't stay in call log. Z10

Posted via CB10
    Had a problem similar to this twice. I could see only calls from 3-4 contacts in the log. After a hard reset all other calls showed up.
    03-02-15 06:02 AM
    Same problem here, upgraded to 10.3.1 on Q10 and then downgraded to 10.2 and some contacts are unknown to my phone, even though they are in my contacts app. Annoying.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 06:36 PM
    Update:

After a factory reset I've been using carddav for contacts sync. I has the issue only once while I was adding a new contact. A few times I had 10-15 seconds of lag when accessing random contacts information.

I believe the problem is with contact synchronization. i'll soon switch to an outlook.com account to test the theory.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 12:49 AM
    I would LOVE an answer/explanation/fix for this! It's beyond frustrating. And mine has nothing to do with syncing, importing, etc. It also has nothing to do with how often the contact is/has called, messaged, etc. People I talk to/message multiple times a day show up only as a number; someone I hadn't heard from in over a year - bam - their name shows up. It started happening immediately after the update to 10.3.1. I was hoping it would get better with time, but it hasn't. The "search" function cannot be trusted since then, either - not for contacts, looking for emails/messages, and more. There are a number of other bugs in this update that I could do without, but this is major.
    wrusprod likes this.
    03-26-15 11:47 PM
    If you are using outlook for contacts there is a current issue on the Microsoft side that is affecting all devices.

If on Google, which is what I use, I have had this problem on OS updates, and deleting then Re creating the account always fixes it for me. But I use activesync for Google apps for domains (paid or whatever it is called now). I have also used it via IMAP and fixed it the same way.

Posted via CB 10 on my Passport SQW100-1 sporting 10.3.1.2582
    03-26-15 11:54 PM
    I have the same issue on my Z30, Verizon, running the official software 10.2.1
    This is very annoying.

From the Z30
    03-27-15 05:03 AM
    I've been using Google for contatcs. Just yesterday I switched to outlook because the problem got worse the past couple of days and when I saw today that all my outlook.com contacts disappeared I exploded.

Just to make sure I did a fresh install of .2582. I hope this solves the issue cause I'm tired of this crap and I'm switching to another brand if I can't see caller names.

Edit: I tried all the tricks in the book, wiping, adding accounts again, switching to carddav, disabled auto merge... the problem persisted with Google contatcs.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 02:27 PM
    I've been using Google for contatcs. Just yesterday I switched to outlook because the problem got worse the past couple of days and when I saw today that all my outlook.com contacts disappeared I exploded.

Just to make sure I did a fresh install of .2582. I hope this solves the issue cause I'm tired of this crap and I'm switching to another brand if I can't see caller names.

Edit: I tried all the tricks in the book, wiping, adding accounts again, switching to carddav, disabled auto merge... the problem persisted with Google contatcs.

Posted via CB10
    Wow. I've never had that problem outside of an update. Are you using the imap or the activesync setup? I use the latter.

Regardless of what my signature below say I am using 10.3.2.281. It works fantastic. You might try that upgrade...

03-28-15 03:10 PM
    Wow. I've never had that problem outside of an update. Are you using the imap or the activesync setup? I use the latter.

Regardless of what my signature below say I am using 10.3.2.281. It works fantastic. You might try that upgrade...

I'm not sure which is the activesync setup... i've tried add -> gmail account and the other method was manually with carddav and mail

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 05:16 PM
    There was an issue with contact synchronization and Outlook.com the past few days, however it should be resolved now. If you're still having trouble, head over to Accounts under Settings, tap on your account, and then "Edit Contact Folder Settings", make sure the toggle at the top is turned on to sync all contacts and hit Save, then Save again to exit the accounts screen and commit your settings. Then give it a few minutes to sync, everything should show back up.

I haven't had any issues with Caller ID and contacts, either when stored locally on the device or synchronized with Outlook.com. Perhaps this is something specific with contacts that are synchronized through a Google account?
    03-28-15 05:50 PM
    There was an issue with contact synchronization and Outlook.com the past few days, however it should be resolved now. If you're still having trouble, head over to Accounts under Settings, tap on your account, and then "Edit Contact Folder Settings", make sure the toggle at the top is turned on to sync all contacts and hit Save, then Save again to exit the accounts screen and commit your settings. Then give it a few minutes to sync, everything should show back up.

I haven't had any issues with Caller ID and contacts, either when stored locally on the device or synchronized with Outlook.com. Perhaps this is something specific with contacts that are synchronized through a Google account?
    Contacts from outlook.com are working now. I think it has something to do with Google or smart dialing. I hope it's google.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 06:10 PM
    I'm not sure which is the activesync setup... i've tried add -> gmail account and the other method was manually with carddav and mail

Posted via CB10
    Sounds like you have the imap setup.

The activesync one is the first in the setting, account, add account. I think it is called "email, contacts, and calendar". Caution, I have the paid Google setup. I assume activesync works for all gmail accounts. The server is m.google.com. Blank for domain. Username is your full address. Everyt:hing else is default (ssl, port, etc)

03-29-15 07:53 PM
    Exchange ActiveSync is only supported for paid Google Apps accounts now and won't work with regular Gmail accounts.
    03-29-15 08:30 PM
    Sounds like you have the imap setup.

The activesync one is the first in the setting, account, add account. I think it is called "email, contacts, and calendar". Caution, I have the paid Google setup. I assume activesync works for all gmail accounts. The server is m.google.com. Blank for domain. Username is your full address. Everyt:hing else is default (ssl, port, etc)

I found activesync but I don't have a paid account. I didn't have any other problems with the outlook account yet, but it takes 2-3 weeks of usage to be certain that the problem is gone. When I had CardDav there were no problems for a couple of weeks but then it started again.

If it's because of the account, I'm curious which side is responsible... blackberry or google... cause I never had this problem on any other phone.
    03-31-15 04:05 AM
    Any fix for this issue syncing via Google contacts? Should I add the card dev as an account? This is driving me crazy.
    04-14-15 04:27 PM
    I think if you remove all formatting and just have the numbers plain (123456789) without the hyphens or the parenthesis, or anything that would work...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-14-15 08:05 PM
    Thanks, slagman. I'll give that a try. Though it will sadden me to no longer have the (123) 456-7890 formatting lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    04-14-15 08:24 PM
    Thanks, slagman. I'll give that a try. Though it will sadden me to no longer have the (123) 456-7890 formatting lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think my mom's Z10 had that problem, all her numbers were synced coming from a windows phone to outlook, and then synced to the Z10, so it was formatted that way, and she had that issue. Mine don't have that and it always works, so I went through her contacts and removed the formatting in the numbers and it worked.

It'll still show the formatting on the call screen though, so don't worry. But it is kind of weird that something so little can mess it up. Maybe they will fix it soon.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-14-15 09:09 PM
    I tried all sorts of fixes that didn't work (number formatting/caldav/multiple resets/changing smart dialing features/unmerged accounts). I tried something else and this was my fix. Problem free for 2-3 weeks:

- Moved from gmail account to outlook.
    - wiped device
    - installed OS. 2582 with autoloader
    - added ONLY contacts account from outlook
    - selected all contacts and copied to "local"
    - continued with normal device setup

It had a 0.5s delay in showing a contact name only once, but it definitely solved my problem from not showing at all on a regular basis. I was ready to leave the platform cause I had this problem since I bought it.

I'm pretty sure that copying them to local would have solved the problem without the other steps, but you can't do it if you have merged accounts. Even if you unmerge them, some crap gets left behind and you can't copy them.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 12:39 AM
27 12