Long time classic user here. It might be coincidence, but recently, whenever I use a navigation app, like Waze or Gmaps, my phone gets really hot and drains the battery super quick. I also noticed that Snap doesn't seem to be working properly anymore.

How can I get my phone back to having amazing battery life and not get hot?
    I'm running 10.3.2.2836

Thanks
    06-22-16 01:27 AM
    Unfortunately, apps like Waze and others that have to constantly update while you are using them are going to make your phone run hot. If you don't want to use those apps, things will probably return to normal. The phone running hot is an indication that a lot of data is moving, more than likely.

I always have a problem with wanting to keep long-lasting battery life but at the same time wanting my phone to do everything i need. It is a trade-off and i doubt there is any happy medium for any phone. It all depends on what you need and want your phone to do....
    Unfortunately, apps like Waze and others that have to constantly update while you are using them are going to make your phone run hot. If you don't want to use those apps, things will probably return to normal. The phone running hot is an indication that a lot of data is moving, more than likely.

I always have a problem with wanting to keep long-lasting battery life but at the same time wanting my phone to do everything i need. It is a trade-off and i doubt there is any happy medium for any phone. It all depends on what you need and want your phone to do....
    06-22-16 08:49 AM
    Would be interesting to compare BlackBerry Maps to the other two and see if there is less heat generated by the native GPS.
    06-22-16 10:47 PM
    Would be interesting to compare BlackBerry Maps to the other two and see if there is less heat generated by the native GPS.
    I use Genius Maps, in App World. It is a paid app to download specific maps but it keeps the maps on your card and you do not need an Internet connection or GPS to use it. It stays pretty cool, I think sometimes all the GPS use in maps causes the heat build up
    andy957 likes this.
    06-23-16 10:23 AM
    OP, FYI, you can't sign into Snap anymore. You need to use Cobalt's modified Google Play Store now.
    06-23-16 10:25 AM
    I use Genius Maps, in App World. It is a paid app to download specific maps but it keeps the maps on your card and you do not need an Internet connection or GPS to use it. It stays pretty cool, I think sometimes all the GPS use in maps causes the heat build up
    I tend to agree with you. Also in my experience, Android apps in general on a BB10 device tend to run hotter than native BB10 apps. All the signal and location pinging adds to that activity, maybe causing the heat build-up, but I'm just guessing. It would still be interesting to see if the BB Maps work better in terms of operating temperature.
    Last edited by andy957; 06-23-16 at 11:32 AM.
    dollface likes this.
    06-23-16 10:28 AM
    I tend to agree with you. Also in my experience, Android apps in general on a BB10 device tend to run hotter than native BB10 apps. All the signal and location pinging adds to that activity, maybe causing the heat build-up, but I'm just guessing. It would still be interested to see if the BB Maps work better in terms of operating temperature.
    Yea check it out. I just had days that were overcast where the GPS cut out so that's why I love Genius Maps
    06-23-16 11:26 AM