New to this environment. What is the intent of Bbm?

Posted via CB10
    04-18-15 11:03 PM
    BBM (formerly BlackBerry Messenger) is a data-based instant messaging network that is exclusive to BlackBerry devices. Messages are sent over BlackBerry�s private network, ensuring security and privacy. End users have long enjoyed helpful features such as notifications which show if a message was successfully sent, if it was read, and if the other party is currently typing a response.

Since its inception, BBM has grown in functionality to include groups with shared calendars, lists and files. Application developers can also make their apps BBM-connected in a number of ways, including showcasing their app on a user�s BlackBerry Messenger profile. Music played on a BlackBerry�s native media player can also be optionally shown as a status message on BBM.

BBM has always been a BlackBerry only app, but as announced during BlackBerry Live 2013, BBM officially went cross-platform on Android and iOS on October 21, 2013.
    Source: http://crackberry.com/bbm

Users use PINs (now customisable) to add each other. Each PIN is exclusive to a device and is used for PIN messaging as well. BBM is used for personal and business use.
    04-18-15 11:21 PM
    If you've only just purchased your BlackBerry there is no need to suddenly start using BBM and there is also no 'correct way' to use it. BBM is simply an alternative to texting or sending brief emails, instead of having a mobile phone number or email address, you use a PIN for identification.

Generally BBM is used amongst employees of a company who all have BlackBerry's and therefore all have access to BBM. It can also be used for families or social groups where everyone has BlackBerry's (or an iPhone or Android with the BBM app installed).

In reality, unless you have co-workers or friends who have BlackBerry phones - it's unlikely you'll actually use it.

BlackBerry Classic = Corporate User Perfection!
    Mr4aces likes this.
    04-19-15 12:20 AM
    If you've only just purchased your BlackBerry there is no need to suddenly start using BBM and there is also no 'correct way' to use it. BBM is simply an alternative to texting or sending brief emails, instead of having a mobile phone number or email address, you use a PIN for identification.

Generally BBM is used amongst employees of a company who all have BlackBerry's and therefore all have access to BBM. It can also be used for families or social groups where everyone has BlackBerry's (or an iPhone or Android with the BBM app installed).

In reality, unless you have co-workers or friends who have BlackBerry phones - it's unlikely you'll actually use it.

BlackBerry Classic = Corporate User Perfection!
    I agree... and as much as I hate to say it, there are alternatives out there.. Like "Whatsapp, Viber or Kick".

Generally, any communication tool is only as good as what the people you are trying to communicate with are using!!

Posted via CB10 (ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.1.2582)
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-19-15 04:40 AM
    I would recommend giving it a try. You won't be disapointed.

Try playing around with glimpse, file sharing and wifi calling.

Yes there are alternatives out there but BBM does everything having all the other messaging apps do combined in one app.

The paper clip is your friend

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 09:10 AM
    Can I manage all my texting in BBM even if others aren't using it? i.e. text my wife who has an iphone? Or does she need the BBM app installed?

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 12:59 PM
    Can I manage all my texting in BBM even if others aren't using it? i.e. text my wife who has an iphone? Or does she need the BBM app installed?

Posted via CB10
    Your wife would need BBM installed, it's similar to whatsapp if you know about that
    04-19-15 01:01 PM
    Don't waste your time unless you know a goup of people with BlackBerry phones. It was great on OS7. On BB10 it's garbage.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 02:47 PM
    Don't waste your time unless you know a goup of people with BlackBerry phones. It was great on OS7. On BB10 it's garbage.

Posted via CB10
    It's much better than regular texting. And it's very good, not sure what you expect it to do?

Tell your wife to download it and try it out
    04-19-15 03:20 PM
    If you are willing to use Blend then BBM a message is a very good option due it's integration.

If is not the case, using Whatsapp, or BBM will be sufficient like in my case. Nobody uses BBM in Mexico right now. At least Whatsapp is integrated to the Hub.

From my Classic
    04-19-15 05:02 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry! This question would probably be better in the BBM Forums: BBM Central - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com, as people will be going there to help with BBM-related questions only. Good luck.
    04-19-15 06:58 PM
    It's much better than regular texting. And it's very good, not sure what you expect it to do?

Tell your wife to download it and try it out
    Thanks the problem with it is not in the messaging it is in the channel feeds and how to find channels.
    Compared to OS7 it is almost impossible to find all the channels regarding the topic you want;
    And there is no way to share information on a channel to other social medial i.e. FB TW you can only share to a BBM contact or group if a person is not in your group tuff luck
    04-19-15 08:19 PM
    BBM is the original iMessage. It started as BlackBerry-to-BlackBerry only and is now truly cross-platform. IMHO, it's still the best cross-platform messaging protocol available. Better than WhatsApp, Viber, and any others you want to mention. I've used BBM on both an iPhone and on multiple BlackBerrys.

BBM sent messages as data, not as SMS, way before anybody else figured it out. They were also the first with received/read receipts so you knew when your recipient saw your message.
    Gatmyer likes this.
    04-19-15 09:16 PM
    BBM is the original iMessage. It started as BlackBerry-to-BlackBerry only and is now truly cross-platform. IMHO, it's still the best cross-platform messaging protocol available. Better than WhatsApp, Viber, and any others you want to mention. I've used BBM on both an iPhone and on multiple BlackBerrys.

BBM sent messages as data, not as SMS, way before anybody else figured it out. They were also the first with received/read receipts so you knew when your recipient saw your message.
    I am assuming you never used it on OS7 and shared to multiple accounts????????????????????

Who give a **** about messaging? These apps are dime a doz. How many people have BB's? How many people don't? If I was on a different platform I wouldn't switch unless there was something to gain. They missed the boat 3 years ago now they are to far behind. They were ahead but to much "covering one's #ss to fix someone's else's ****ups" is why it is what it is.

Not your fault or JC or BlackBerry's goes back to ML/TH/RIM days.
    04-19-15 09:31 PM
    BBM is the original mobile instant messenger app with much copied features like the 'R' and the 'D' notifications as well as many others. It used to be one of the primary reasons people would be reluctant to go to other platforms and ultimately stay with BlackBerry. Now, BBM is really popular in places like Africa and Indonesia where BlackBerry has always enjoyed decent consumer market share.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 09:31 PM
    BBM is the original mobile instant messenger app with much copied features like the 'R' and the 'D' notifications as well as many others. It used to be one of the primary reasons people would be reluctant to go to other platforms and ultimately stay with BlackBerry. Now, BBM is really popular in places like Africa and Indonesia where BlackBerry has always enjoyed decent consumer market share.

Posted via CB10
    That's because these places are using dated BB devices with OS7

It is good in OS7
    04-20-15 12:00 AM