So, I got a few drops of rain on my keyboard earlier today. I have not noticed any problems, but would like to know if there is a way to check for water damage on the Classic; since I can't remove the battery I'm not sure if there is another method.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    06-16-15 07:55 AM
    Only way is to open up the device, however, a few drops of rain won't hurt your device, nor trigger the indicator.

I mean unless you purposely let the keyboard sit there and soak in the rain drops, but even then it'd be a long shot as to damaging and triggering
    06-16-15 07:59 AM
    That's too bad, wish there was a way to tell.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-15 11:21 AM
    I'm willing to bet there is a water damage indicator someplace on the inside down near the speakers or near the sim tray.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-15 07:42 PM
    I have a Passport that went into RMA for repair. It's never been rained on or submerged in water, just lightly wiped off with a damp cloth...

And BlackBerry told me it's out of warranty due to the now red liquid damage indicator stickers.

So be careful.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 12:37 AM
    I have a Passport that went into RMA for repair. It's never been rained on or submerged in water, just lightly wiped off with a damp cloth...

And BlackBerry told me it's out of warranty due to the now red liquid damage indicator stickers.

So be careful.

Posted via CB10
    This is the scenario I'm concerned about. I'm on ATT and if I used my warranty and sent back my phone for a replacement they would autobill for a refurbished phone in the event they say I had water damage. Would seem only fair that I should be able to verify that before sending my phone in and getting the replacement.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 05:01 AM
    This is the scenario I'm concerned about. I'm on ATT and if I used my warranty and sent back my phone for a replacement they would autobill for a refurbished phone in the event they say I had water damage. Would seem only fair that I should be able to verify that before sending my phone in and getting the replacement.

Posted via CB10
    What happens is, they let you know if your phone is damaged somehow, after you've sent it in. My phone totally worked, it just had a double typing issue. I was shocked when they told me it had liquid damage.

They let either PAY for the advanced exchange unit they send you, OR they offer to send you back your original/defective unit (free) AFTER you send back the advanced exchange device (so they can make sure that you haven't damaged it).

I am in the process now of getting back my original unit and it has taken weeks.

BlackBerry's RMA service has to be among the worst types of services I have ever dealt with.
    06-18-15 01:25 PM
    This has to be the biggest scam among the providers. I'm seething right now.

I sent my Passport to Bell for a warranty repair because I woke one morning a couple weeks back and my cell radio was malfunctioning. It was not getting service and when it did intermittently pick up service, it wouldn't call out. Everything else was functioning fine, wifi included.

I've just received an email from Bell saying basically, "too bad, so sad." They exact quote on the repair quote is, "Device Level (Beyond Repair) - Liquid Damage + Data Application - Poor GPS/QPS Reception"

I have never had my device in water or spilled anything on it. I'm so mad. What recourse is there? It's a completely one-sided process.

Posted via my (temporary) BlackBerry Classic
    07-06-15 07:23 PM
    Yes, I agree and feel bad about your situation. It's a real "gotcha" moment.

Posted via CB10
    CivilDissident likes this.
    07-06-15 07:52 PM
    Update:

So after calling Bell and pleading my case, they said there's nothing they can do.

I told them that my phone has not been near water and even if the indicator is turned red, that does not imply that my issue was caused by water damage. I asked them for proof that the issue was due to water damage (I know, it's likely going to go nowhere). So they are going to tell the repair shop to have a second look. In the meantime, I asked for pictures of the "extensive water damage" (those are the rep's words, not mine). Here's what they sent me:

Water Damage Indicator?-waterdamage1.jpgWater Damage Indicator?-waterdamage2.jpg

Does this look like extensive water damage? A piece of the indicator is pink. Maybe a quarter of it. So yeah, I guess it had a tiny bit of water get in there at some point (I promise you, I don't know how). But this hardly proves any extensive water damage.

This is such a one-sided process.
    illlya likes this.
    07-07-15 12:02 PM
    So has anyone seem a warranty claim rejected based on this small amount of "damage indicator" damage?

07-07-15 09:09 PM
    Bell and BlackBerry have basically told me to F-off. They have admitted that all they did was look at the litmus strip and then determined water damage and they refuse to do anything further.

Has anyone had any luck in dealing with BlackBerry warranty disputes.

I know in my heart of hearts that the phone is not malfunctioning due to liquid, but I'm completely SOL at this point it would seem.

I'd love to hear any comments on those pics I posted.

07-23-15 07:15 PM
    I had some problems recently with the brightness on my passport. Took it in to the MTS store in Winnipeg .Tech guy not friendly at all. Took a look at the phone and saw a red flag inside and said that I had water damage Don't understand that unless the phone has a humidity problem. Anyway, I was told that its not covered by warranty (warranty period good for another two weeks) but since I had an insurance policy through the ISP that I could pay $200.00 and get a replacement (probably a refurbished one). I think a new one should be what I get however since the phone still makes calls, texts, gets my emails I guess I can deal with it. Interesting to note that this store was always negative about Blackberry.
    10-05-15 05:44 PM
    Bell and BlackBerry have basically told me to F-off. They have admitted that all they did was look at the litmus strip and then determined water damage and they refuse to do anything further.

Has anyone had any luck in dealing with BlackBerry warranty disputes.

I know in my heart of hearts that the phone is not malfunctioning due to liquid, but I'm completely SOL at this point it would seem.

I'd love to hear any comments on those pics I posted.

I had a crack on my SE Passport keyboard. Must have been there from day one, but didn't notice as it was very small. They (bb) told me basically to go **** up a rope. I lost my mind, after basically "dealing" with defects in almost all of my BlackBerry devices since the tour, and buying almost every one they produced since the 7130e. This time I wasnt having any of it. I freaked (not normally a thing I would do). That got me nowhere. What DID, however was a barrage of tweets ( like 20-30 in an hour or so) to @bbhelpsomethingorother @blackberry and @johnchen in particular citing the case id #. Needless to say, the next day, somebody genuinely helpful and suddenly pleasant called me back stating they had reviewed my file and would be more than happy to have the defect repaired. The replacement has another defect. Surprisingly they are replacing with a brand new one ( not that there is so much as a mark on this one). BlackBerry rma and customer service are leaps and bounds ahead of the nearest leader of the WORST customer service I have ever experienced in my life, and I have had to deal with Delta Airlines! Thats saying something. Too bad for me I love the product, at least until the new android phase, and have continued to support them. it's like being in an abusive relationship. I actually told them that I was tired of being abused.
    Edit. Actually Delta is worse.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-15 10:37 PM